What to look for when buying a gsync monitor?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: What to look for when buying a gsync monitor?

Post by RealNC » 24 Nov 2018, 10:25

xenphor wrote:It works in fullscreen; it's just annoying when resolutions change because there's a large delay in it updating on my monitor.
What happens if you set "Video->Output Scale" to 2x or 3x? If I do that, exclusive fullscreen does not switch resolution anymore. It only does that when I use 1x.

Also, have you tried 86Box instead? It's supposed to be further developed compared to PCem. It doesn't run on Linux, so I'm stuck with PCem here, but on Windows, I think 86Box might be a better option.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 24 Nov 2018, 16:23

RealNC wrote:
xenphor wrote:It works in fullscreen; it's just annoying when resolutions change because there's a large delay in it updating on my monitor.
What happens if you set "Video->Output Scale" to 2x or 3x? If I do that, exclusive fullscreen does not switch resolution anymore. It only does that when I use 1x.

Also, have you tried 86Box instead? It's supposed to be further developed compared to PCem. It doesn't run on Linux, so I'm stuck with PCem here, but on Windows, I think 86Box might be a better option.
I know about 86box but never understood how it's any better than pcem except for supporting nvidia 128/tnt cards in a preliminary state which I don't really care about.

The resolution changing isn't really what keeps me from using it; it's the inconsistent vsync stuttering/lag that makes it unusable for me. It's pretty terrible in either borderless or exclusive fullscreen. The input lag especially is worse than any other emulator I've ever used with vsync, and I've used all the major ones by now. I suppose I could try tearlingless vsync off next time I feel like messing with it, but I assuming that would only help with input lag, not stuttering?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Nov 2018, 17:43

I don't know. I'd still recommend trying 86Box to see if it has less stutter.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2018, 17:06

xenphor wrote:The resolution changing isn't really what keeps me from using it; it's the inconsistent vsync stuttering/lag that makes it unusable for me. It's pretty terrible in either borderless or exclusive fullscreen. The input lag especially is worse than any other emulator I've ever used with vsync, and I've used all the major ones by now. I suppose I could try tearlingless vsync off next time I feel like messing with it, but I assuming that would only help with input lag, not stuttering?
It depends. Ideally, your emulator needs to synchronize to the frame capping software, rather than try its own independent frame rate. If so, then RTSS will massively improve fluidity (remove stutters). However, this is very software-dependant.

One idea is you can switch to RetroArch and use its RunAhead feature to fix VSYNC lag. I'm not sure if RunAhead is supported with dosbox on RetroArch yet, however.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 26 Nov 2018, 18:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
xenphor wrote:The resolution changing isn't really what keeps me from using it; it's the inconsistent vsync stuttering/lag that makes it unusable for me. It's pretty terrible in either borderless or exclusive fullscreen. The input lag especially is worse than any other emulator I've ever used with vsync, and I've used all the major ones by now. I suppose I could try tearlingless vsync off next time I feel like messing with it, but I assuming that would only help with input lag, not stuttering?
It depends. Ideally, your emulator needs to synchronize to the frame capping software, rather than try its own independent frame rate. If so, then RTSS will massively improve fluidity (remove stutters). However, this is very software-dependant.

One idea is you can switch to RetroArch and use its RunAhead feature to fix VSYNC lag. I'm not sure if RunAhead is supported with dosbox on RetroArch yet, however.
I don't really want to use retroarch/dosbox for Windows games which is what I use pcem for, but dosbox also has vsync related issues that I've read that gsync is able to fix. I've tried creating custom 70hz resolutions/refresh rates but they are never as smooth as on original hardware using the same monitor. Daum with the vsync patch seems to actually provide a decent sync but it has other issues. I've not been able to get Retroarch to detect 70hz and its dosbox implementation is still pretty incomplete.