MSI Oculux NXG251R

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Luckbad

Re: MSI Oculux NXG251R

Post by Luckbad » 18 Dec 2018, 00:27

Okay, here are some settings to try out with your monitor. It works for both of mine--one I set a couple of brightness notches up and green is 2 lower.

Colorimeter: i1Display Pro
Software: DisplayCAL
ICC Profile: v2
Gamma: 2.2
Luminance: 120 cd/m²

OSD Settings
Preset Mode: Profile1 (aka User)
Brightness: 0 (not a typo: This thing can get really bright.)
Contrast: 50
R: 42
G: 49
B: 46

You can use this ICC Profile in Windows' Color Management or by downloading DisplayCAL and associating the profile with your monitor (I use this because it's more reliable).

http://www.basshead.club/wp-content/upl ... LUTMTX.zip

thierrycanigan

Post by thierrycanigan » 18 Dec 2018, 09:25

OatmealOnToast wrote:Hey all,

New to the forums here. Just picked up this monitor on sale ($350 from Best Buy plus $20 off by buying through Google Express) after having a decade old 1080p 21.5" HP 60hz monitor and I'm loving the difference. One thing I'm noticing though is that bright, moving images in particular seem to have an annoying quality where it seems I can see the screen itself instead of the image, if that makes sense. It's like a texture is visible between the image and my eye. I don't know if there's some plastic film on the actual screen that I'm just not able to peel off, or if this is a characteristic of the anti-glare coating on the screen, but it's really distracting. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
honestly i think MSI wanting to go in the monitor market is a big fail. other brands tried before them, lg for example. they all failed.

it's not that they are not capable of making monitors, it's just that they don't have the year of experience for example asus, benq have.

it will take year for them to adjust to asus / benq standards. not saying for 300$ it's not worth it tough. on that thing it's good. sadly there is no solution to your problem, you got what your buck can got.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Dec 2018, 12:45

OatmealOnToast wrote:One thing I'm noticing though is that bright, moving images in particular seem to have an annoying quality where it seems I can see the screen itself instead of the image, if that makes sense.
This is a combination of the screen door effect and the anti-glare coating. The screen door effect is worse the lower the DPI of the monitor gets. Your previous monitor was 21.5", and this one is 24.5" but has the same resolution (1080p.) That means it has lower DPI, and thus the screen door effect is more visible.

The anti-glare coating also results in a more "grainy" image in bright areas.

If you couple these two things together, you get the "I can see the screen" effect when there's motion of bright areas, because the pixels and the coating do not move (obviously,) but the image they are displaying does move.

This is an exaggerated example from a VR headset (these have a much worse screen door effect compared to monitors):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUiTJPA3axI
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 18 Dec 2018, 13:41

For what it's worth, the PPI issue is something you'll probably get over. I'm still struggling myself. It probably would be easier to deal with if I didn't still have my other monitor. 27" @ 1440p is 108.79 PPI vs. 24.5" @ 1080p is 89.91 PPI. Coupled with what I perceive as a slightly more matte anti-glare coating, and I See Pixels.

OatmealOnToast

Post by OatmealOnToast » 21 Jan 2019, 12:50

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies, and sorry for not replying sooner (family emergency). 1080p being stretched over a larger screen is certainly noticeable, but as mentioned, I think I'm already getting used to it. I've also tried both calibration profiles above, which has been very helpful.

My issue really does just seem to be the anti-glare coating. I can definitely see a layer of something (e.g. film, etc.) between me and the image. I've seen some instructions on removing that coating, don't know how viable an option that is. Maybe one day if I get fed up and adventurous enough I'll try it.

Anyway, I'm loving the refresh rate. I guess you just get what you pay for. Thanks again for all the help, everyone!

StEaK

Post by StEaK » 06 Apr 2019, 15:43

Luckbad wrote:Okay, here are some settings to try out with your monitor. It works for both of mine--one I set a couple of brightness notches up and green is 2 lower.

Colorimeter: i1Display Pro
Software: DisplayCAL
ICC Profile: v2
Gamma: 2.2
Luminance: 120 cd/m²

OSD Settings
Preset Mode: Profile1 (aka User)
Brightness: 0 (not a typo: This thing can get really bright.)
Contrast: 50
R: 42
G: 49
B: 46

You can use this ICC Profile in Windows' Color Management or by downloading DisplayCAL and associating the profile with your monitor (I use this because it's more reliable).

http://www.basshead.club/wp-content/upl ... LUTMTX.zip
Thank you i will try it !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2019, 18:16

OatmealOnToast wrote:Hey all,

New to the forums here. Just picked up this monitor on sale ($350 from Best Buy plus $20 off by buying through Google Express) after having a decade old 1080p 21.5" HP 60hz monitor and I'm loving the difference. One thing I'm noticing though is that bright, moving images in particular seem to have an annoying quality where it seems I can see the screen itself instead of the image, if that makes sense. It's like a texture is visible between the image and my eye. I don't know if there's some plastic film on the actual screen that I'm just not able to peel off, or if this is a characteristic of the anti-glare coating on the screen, but it's really distracting. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Is the texture a checkerboard or fine lines texture? Looks something like the below?

If so, then I know what the problem is. It's an inversion artifact.

- LCD Inversion Thread
- TestUFO Inversion
- Techmind Inversion
- Lagom Inversion

All LCD panels use alternating positive/negative voltages in alternate refresh cycles aka "inversion". Both spatially and temporally. This is supposed to be invisible but sometimes there's slight color differences that manifests itself in gradients / solid colors / moving objects, especially during motion. Such visible side effects of inversion, is called inversion artifacts.

I am impressed how good a job my ViewSonic XG2530 does in avoiding this; it has virtually no visible inversion artifacts or textures in motion. One of the best 240Hz TN panels in lack of visible inversion artifacts, even though I lament the lack of strobed blur reduction (still, 240Hz is purty clear compared to 60Hz). Most high-Hz panels have some visible inversion behaviours, but my XG2530 has virtually none. In this specific department, the XG2530 such an underrated 240Hz monitor, and the fact it comes with a very well color-calibrated mode directly from the factory, makes it an "easy" TN panel to become satisfied by. Cheap TN panels by inexperienced monitor manufacturers can't touch this. If you're an inversion-artifact hater and don't want to buy a Spyder/ColorMunki, the ViewSonic's are real good 240Hz TN panels color-wise and inversion-wise -- in the lack of textured inversion artifacts during motion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Apr 2019, 07:09

Do you have the second version of the XG2530 chief? Do you notice its input lag? Because the first version was rated with high input lag, that´s why I ask

Filodream

Post by Filodream » 19 Apr 2019, 18:08

Hello everyone,
I purchased this monitor a week ago and I am very satisfied. I have only one problem: sometimes when I switch it on it returns to the STANDARD image profile instead of the user-1 profile.
It's pretty boring. Does yours do too?
Thank you.

StEaK

Post by StEaK » 20 Apr 2019, 18:43

Filodream wrote:Hello everyone,
I purchased this monitor a week ago and I am very satisfied. I have only one problem: sometimes when I switch it on it returns to the STANDARD image profile instead of the user-1 profile.
It's pretty boring. Does yours do too?
Thank you.
Yes, it happens to me too.