Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

About triple buffering

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.

About triple buffering

Postby Khysarth » 12 Dec 2018, 15:51

If i'm using the optimal g sync settings should I have the NCVP triple buffering off or on? or does it not matter
Khysarth

Re: About triple buffering

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2018, 18:10

If you're optimal settings and framerate capping just below max Hz, it doesn't matter. The buffering behaviour doesn't activate except momentarily for those specific frametimes less than the duration of a max-Hz refresh cycle. So if you have a perfect 237fps cap on a 240Hz monitor, the triple buffer behavior never activates.

However, there can potentially be transient frametime variations (e.g. a frametime is 1/235sec and another frametime is 1/241sec) -- fluctuating frametimes can cause triggering of the buffering behaviour. That's why we often recommend a few frames per second capping below max Hz, to give those fluctuations some breathing room.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby jorimt » 12 Dec 2018, 21:54

Khysarth wrote:If i'm using the optimal g sync settings should I have the NCVP triple buffering off or on? or does it not matter

To add to what the Chief said...

Short answer:
Off.

Long answer:
G-SYNC functionality is technically based on a double buffer, so, at best, with a proper FPS limit in place, triple buffer will have zero benefit (let alone an effect), and at worst, it could be a detriment in edge-cases where buffer behavior kicks in with G-SYNC enabled (as seen with framerates near the max refresh rate when G-SYNC is paired with Fast Sync, for instance, though Fast Sync is a form of "true" triple buffer, and the "Triple buffering" option in the control panel you are speaking of is an alternate form).

And not to rub this in, but if you've read my optimal G-SYNC settings, I've already given the answer there...
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/

The second item under "In-game settings" section on that page states:
Disable all available “Vertical Sync,” “V-SYNC” and “Triple Buffering” options [in-game].

And in the "Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. In-game V-SYNC" section further below on that page states, in part:
some in-game V-SYNC solutions may introduce their own frame buffer or frame pacing behaviors, enable triple buffer V-SYNC automatically (not optimal for the native double buffer of G-SYNC), or simply not function at all, and, thus, NVCP V-SYNC [double buffer] is the safest bet.
Author: "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 @3200MHz
jorimt

Postby RealNC » 12 Dec 2018, 23:11

Also, the setting only applies to OpenGL games. For DirectX games, it has no effect.
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby jorimt » 13 Dec 2018, 13:50

^ In 99% of cases, that is correct, though I have heard it can actually have an effect in certain DX games (don't know which ones, myself; maybe for those that have an existing in-game triple buffer option or specific flip queue behavior, perhaps?).
Author: "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 @3200MHz
jorimt

Postby Sparky » 13 Dec 2018, 21:39

Off. All the problems that triple buffering solves are already fixed by g-sync. It would only come into play in some weird edge cases(dramatic changes in framerate), and to no benefit.
Sparky

Return to G-SYNC