Are the XB240H and XB241H good monitors ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Modin

Are the XB240H and XB241H good monitors ?

Post by Modin » 15 Dec 2018, 20:58

Hey, I tried asking over at r/monitors and r/buildapc but I didn't get any answers. I want to finally upgrade to gsync and 120+ hz so I'm looking for some advice !

The former is priced at 260€ here, the latter at 370€. I couldn't find cheaper gsync monitors and I don't have a lot of money.

The XB240H is closer to my price range, so I'm wondering if it's still a good purchase nowadays. It doesn't have ULMB, it's apparently getting old, but is that a big deal, or will I barely be able to tell the difference ?

Is the XB241H worth the extra price ? Is there better yet ? Blowing more than 400€ on a monitor is completely insane to me (that'd be more than my gpu !), and I don't have the bank for it, but I want to be aware of all the options.

Some context : I'd be mainly using the new monitor for gaming, as well as playing some movies. I'm aiming for 1080p since my rig (1070 + i5 8400) is already struggling on some demanding games. What I'm looking for mainly is a solution to screen tearing / vsync input lag, and as smooth of an experience as possible. I don't know about ULMB and other fancy features - I've never noticed anything wrong with my current ordinary monitor (Acer G246HL) when it comes to motion blur, but then again maybe I need to be educated.

Thanks for your help :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Are the XB240H and XB241H good monitors ?

Post by RealNC » 16 Dec 2018, 10:37

I think the 240H does have ULMB. All G-Sync monitors do. Where did you read that it doesn't? Unless it's the non-gsync model. Acer does that a lot. They release monitors with the same name but with different features :-/

From what I can find, the model that has g-sync and ULMB for sure is marked with an "-a" at the end. So xb240h-a. However, some xb240h units without an "-a" also have it. They are the same model but Acer packaged some of them without the "-a" suffix. So when getting an XB240H without the "-a", it might be a g-sync/ulmb, or it might not... I suspect that the one you've seen for €260 might not have it, because g-sync is usually more expensive.

So the XB241H would be guaranteed to be G-Sync/ULMB. It's also a newer monitor. I would probably get this one, unless you have a good return policy and you can return the 240H for not having G-Sync/ULMB.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Dec 2018, 20:53

RealNC wrote:I think the 240H does have ULMB. All G-Sync monitors do.
....With a few exceptions. 4K GSYNC monitors. VA-panel 100Hz GSYNC ultrawides. And a few others.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Modin

Post by Modin » 16 Dec 2018, 21:59

Aaah yes, a mistake on my part. They both have ULMB. And I was misled, I saw the XB240H in the gsync list and didn't bother to check the specs but the one at 260 doesn't have gsync.

I'll dig around a bit more. Any "affordable" gsync 1080p monitors other than the XB241H ? Seems like I underestimated gsync's premium ...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Dec 2018, 07:11

Modin wrote:Aaah yes, a mistake on my part. They both have ULMB. And I was misled, I saw the XB240H in the gsync list and didn't bother to check the specs but the one at 260 doesn't have gsync.

I'll dig around a bit more. Any "affordable" gsync 1080p monitors other than the XB241H ? Seems like I underestimated gsync's premium ...
There were good deals a couple weeks ago because of Black Friday. Now, I don't know. Try to find a local eshop aggregator. Like https://geizhals.de for Germany and https://www.skroutz.gr for Greece.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.