Problem with G-SYNC

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Kaggewas

Problem with G-SYNC

Post by Kaggewas » 27 Dec 2018, 06:29

Hello everyone, I noticed long ago, when g-sync is turned on in some moments (most often the game loading), the mouse loses its smoothness and the screen starts to flicker a bit, are there ways to solve this?

https://youtu.be/5UCdPJWud0Q

jorimt

Re: Problem with G-SYNC

Post by jorimt » 27 Dec 2018, 10:27

That's normal, and no, there isn't a solution.

Some loading screens have massive fps fluctuations while crunching assets, often dropping well below 30 FPS, and since G-SYNC effectively matches the refresh rate to the framerate (unlike standalone V-SYNC, where the refresh rate is constant, regardless of framerate), the mouse movement will reflect those very low refresh rates.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Kaggewas

Post by Kaggewas » 27 Dec 2018, 14:53

jorimt wrote:That's normal, and no, there isn't a solution.

Some loading screens have massive fps fluctuations while crunching assets, often dropping well below 30 FPS, and since G-SYNC effectively matches the refresh rate to the framerate (unlike standalone V-SYNC, where the refresh rate is constant, regardless of framerate), the mouse movement will reflect those very low refresh rates.

It just annoys me ...
Does this happen on all G-SYNC monitors or on some?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Dec 2018, 15:16

Kaggewas wrote:It just annoys me ...
Does this happen on all G-SYNC monitors or on some?
The mouse cursor getting refreshed at 30FPS happens on all monitors. If the monitor refreshes at 30Hz, you get a 30FPS mouse cursor.

The flickering only happens on TN monitors AFAIK. It does not happen on my IPS monitor.

One thing you can try is forcing vsync to OFF in the nvidia panel. This might reduce the problem.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 27 Dec 2018, 15:40

I have seen very minor flicker on my IPS in G-SYNC mode on some loading screens before, but it doesn't always occur; I can't find a pattern. It may be inversion-based (specific visual on-screen patterns or grayscale/colors on certain load screen) or perhaps due to slightly different G-SYNC "Minimum Refresh Range" implementation from driver to driver? Last time I really noticed this was on a Garry's Mod load screen years ago when I first got my display.

Also, while I haven't tested it thoroughly, yes, it's possible G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" could reduce flickering at super low refresh rates, as it should be allowed to tear in those instances instead of sync. Though this is pretty difficult to test in isolation, since it mostly occurs on load screens, is only obvious in certain games/scenarios, and usually for extremely brief periods of time.

Thankfully a very fringe issue.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2018, 17:36

I could probably confirm if this is inversion-artifact-related -- if I can view a sample of sufficiently high-resolution highspeed video:

Anybody with a Samsung Galaxy 9 with the 960fps high speed camera feature (which has 720p resolution in high speed video), may be able to do a macro focus on the screen, and film the flickering this way. Preferably in macro mode so I can see the pixels. If that can be done, I can definitively confirm if the flickering is an inversion artifact (interaction with the normal automatic LCD inversion process from erratic-length and/or ultralow-Hz refresh cycles).

Yes, a very fringe artifact that is not seen in normal gameplay, especially since frameates are often well above the GSYNC minimum if you've got a powerful GPU and a 240Hz GSYNC monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!