Pre-rendered frames etc. (continued from G-Sync 101 article)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: Pre-rendered frames etc. (continued from G-Sync 101 arti

Post by jorimt » 15 Jan 2019, 19:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:From what I am understanding in newer developments [...]
Since Nvidia hasn't publicly announced any module version past "2.0" a few years back, it's difficult to tell if there have been any further refinements to these aspects in the modules featured in the more recent G-SYNC monitors.

That said, I'm all for them simplifying the LFC and VRR range functionality (low, mid, and high) with the continually developing VRR standards, even if that means software will ultimately replace some or most hardware functionality.

I can see a software/GPU-side solution eventually making module-based LFC unnecessary, and I can even see them tightening up or eliminating any "polling rate" (if it still indeed exists) to improve response time to frametime variances in the upper/lower range, but no matter the method, extreme frametime variances/spikes are still problematic when trying to achieve zero-tear VRR on <240Hz monitors, while at the same time, avoiding the VRR's extension of the existing frametime spikes (when compared to standalone V-SYNC or V-SYNC OFF in the same instances), due to the more limited static scanout speeds when compared to the eventual 480Hz and up, where this issue (and input lag in general, VRR or no VRR) will obviously become less and less impactful as static scanout speeds (and hopefully average framerates) increase.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2019, 20:11

Of all the requirements -- dynamic overdrive is the biggest difficulty.

It's horrendously complicated, especially in varying frametimes.

The overdrive needs to try to predict the next frametime, not the previous frametime, which is sometimes hard to guess. If you can't do dynamic overdrive properly -- an display engineer can easily get artifacts worse than fixed overdrive. To most people, it feels like voodoo science -- the art of overdrive tuning. Good dynamic overdrive required a powerful FPGA chip initially...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Jan 2019, 20:22

^ Yeah, that definitely as well.

I was going to mentioned VRR overdrive implementation in a version of my previous post, and how difficult it would be to get right if they went from module to GPU or software side-only, but I ultimately decided to stay in my lane, and cut it :P
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 16 Jan 2019, 00:35

Was there mentioned that game engine can easily ignore that driver option ("pre-rendered frames") value?
Is there a way to check it?

pwn

Post by pwn » 16 Jan 2019, 06:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
pwn wrote:But based on the conversation, I understand the best configuration for playing CsGo is Locked FPS 237 (I have a 240Hz monitor supporting Gsink) and not free FPS 300+?
Yes, but only if using G-SYNC (what you called Gsink)

If you use VSYNC OFF instead, use a higher cap (e.g. 300fps or 500fps), to gain Advantages of framerates above refresh rates.

You do have a choice of:
1. G-SYNC + 237fps cap
2. VSYNC OFF + higher cap (300fps or 500fps)

Thanks for the answer.
I understand correctly that the most optimal way to restrict FPS is RivaTuner?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Jan 2019, 09:07

Q83Ia7ta wrote:Was there mentioned that game engine can easily ignore that driver option ("pre-rendered frames") value?
Is there a way to check it?
You can check it easily. Set it to 8 in nvidia inspector and then play with vsync ON at 60Hz. If you don't get massive input lag, then the game somehow is ignoring the setting.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 17 Jan 2019, 00:18

RealNC wrote:You can check it easily. Set it to 8 in nvidia inspector and then play with vsync ON at 60Hz. If you don't get massive input lag, then the game somehow is ignoring the setting.
Are sure that 8 is value that driver will accept? May be max is 4 and if value > 4 then driver will set is to auto (3 iirc).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2019, 12:05

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
RealNC wrote:You can check it easily. Set it to 8 in nvidia inspector and then play with vsync ON at 60Hz. If you don't get massive input lag, then the game somehow is ignoring the setting.
Are sure that 8 is value that driver will accept? May be max is 4 and if value > 4 then driver will set is to auto (3 iirc).
8 works fine here. But if you're paranoid, you can use 4 and then 1. You should still be able to tell the difference.

But 8 should work. I used it in the past for tests.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 18 Jan 2019, 10:55

RealNC wrote:8 works fine here. But if you're paranoid, you can use 4 and then 1. You should still be able to tell the difference.
But 8 should work. I used it in the past for tests.
Thanks! Will test soon!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 20 Jan 2019, 20:58

Tested on Quake Champions. 60hz, vsync ON (nvidia cpanel and game). Maximum pre-rendered frames 1 or 8 gives same result. So game ignores it. While default value is auto (equals 3) it doesn't give disadvantage for new players and it's good for any multiplayer competitive game.