Pre-rendered frames etc. (continued from G-Sync 101 article)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
MatrixQW

Re: Pre-rendered frames etc. (continued from G-Sync 101 arti

Post by MatrixQW » 03 Feb 2019, 15:47

jorimt wrote:But then they'd have to publicly acknowledge an FPS limiter is required to stay inside the G-SYNC range at all times, and that the V-SYNC option works differently within the G-SYNC range.
The first part is obvious, anyone even without knowledge can understand it. So NVIDIA would be doing themselfs a favor.
The second part is complicated. They should make it clear to avoid negative comments pointing G-Sync doesn't work.

pegnose

Post by pegnose » 25 Mar 2019, 15:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:<Blur Busters Technology Pandora Box>

[...]

</Blur Busters Technology Pandora Box>

Sir Chief Blur Buster, I have to deeply apologize for having you write down such a detailed and profound reply and to not read it for such a long time! My new job demands a lot of me and I had to cut down on most extra-curricular activities for a while. I want to quickly state that I read your post completely and it made me understand why dynamic overdrive is inevitable for VRR. I have done high-speed recordings of LCDs during my PhD and am familiar with pixel response times. But I never made it clear to myself that average pixel color will change in both cases, if you increase as well as decrease frame intervals - as a constant average color always has to be computed over the same amount of pixel state in (your) three 33%-stages. I got that now, thanks a lot!

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 27 May 2019, 16:04

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I get asjed I always say try 0 if it stutters set to 1

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 May 2019, 16:10

Stitch7 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but if I get asjed I always say try 0 if it stutters set to 1
There is no 0. It's 1 and up.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2019, 19:10

pegnose wrote:Sir Chief Blur Buster, I have to deeply apologize for having you write down such a detailed and profound reply and to not read it for such a long time! My new job demands a lot of me and I had to cut down on most extra-curricular activities for a while.
No worries. This is Blur Busters.

My posts are designed to educate hundreds of readers, so many people were enlightened before you were; so my replies are usually useful even if you don't come back often. Being the display mythbusters (I've been mic-dropping the 30fps-vs-60fps debate since 1993), I like to dive into these subjects for readers.

Even as I am under increasing pressure to ELI5 (simplify Blur Busters articles) because of the boom of less-experienced readers -- Blur Busters continues to dive into these advanced topics more often than the average mainstream site.

So my longer replies is also intended to be read by a wider "Popular Science" audience rather than a narrow "Scientific Journal" audience. So maybe my reply was longer than you need, but others still find it educational.

You've probably seen a lot of Blur Busters articles over the years, where we straddle the comfortable middle -- between a mainstream website -- and a scientific journal. Like the new GtG versus MPRT: Pixel Response FAQ.

Now that I know you tested LCDs with your PhD -- you probably by now we're the website that talks about motion blur reduction backlights -- the art of hiding the GtG elephant into the drinking-straw-sized VBI -- to successfully hide GtG from human eyes in the dark period between strobe flashes. Over the years, this has been increasingly successfully achieved on certain panels. Such as in the Valve Index LCD-based VR headset which has only 0.3ms MPRT(100%) of motion blur and no human-visible GtG, making it less motion blur (on average) than many medium-persistence CRT tubes such as the Sony FW900 / GDM-W900 CRT tube which takes more than 0.3ms for its phosphor to decay! Alas even as we root for OLED to take the crown, it's still easier to get sub-1ms MPRT clarity from LCD than OLED because of the Talbot-Plateau Law (flash briefer more brightly is easier with backlights/edgelights at the moment), amongst other factors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pegnose

Post by pegnose » 31 May 2019, 09:21

Thanks for your clarification! Although more time consuming to digest, I always prefer the long answers. :)

Interesting what you say about low-persistence screens in VR HMDs. I first heard of this with OLED, and at first it surprised me to see that many newer headsets come out with LCDs. But I suppose they are not only cheaper, but often have a better "pixel fill" due to not using pentile. And if the effective image persistence is even lower, I gladly get used to the slightly reduced black level and contrast values.

pegnose

Post by pegnose » 14 Nov 2019, 10:50

Is this already a necro? :)

I just tried NVidia NULL (Ultra Low Latency driver mode) and noticed that my games on a 166 Hz display get limited to 159 fps. Does anyone know what happens there "under the hood" besides the 0 pre-rendered frames?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 14 Nov 2019, 11:19

Refer to these posts:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&start=30#p44825
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&start=60#p44873

I also updated the optimal G-SYNC settings to reflect the name/functionality changes to the MPRF setting (now "Low Latency Mode"), as well as included base recommendations:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

pegnose

Post by pegnose » 14 Nov 2019, 15:26

Thank you, @jorimt, I'll have a look!

EDIT:
So the short version is: "Ultra" does nothing over "On" if you are GPU bound. It does something similar as an in-game or the RTTS limiter and the ranking would be: in-game > RTTS > NULL.

I was hoping for something that improves latency within the GSync range.