New Nvidia driver Gsync support - Gsync Ceilling problems

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Notty_PT

Re: New Nvidia driver Gsync support - Gsync Ceilling problem

Post by Notty_PT » 16 Jan 2019, 01:32

Luckbad wrote:For what it's worth:

My normal shooter monitor is the Dell S2716DG (G-Sync).

I tested Overwatch today on a Dell S2419HGF with G-Sync compatibility enabled. 141 FPS set in Overwatch.

It felt just as good as always. I tore up with McCree. Snappy, crisp, no tearing, no blanking. I saw the FPS reading on the monitor fluctuating above 144 like you describe, but Overwatch and NVIDIA's overlay reported otherwise and the feel never went bad.
Can you try on Black Ops 4 or Quake Champions? Thanks. I find this weird and more people are reporting the same thing that happens to me, so we need to clear this out. At 141fps no way I can get rid of the tear line. Maybe you don´t notice it? Also Vsync OFF right?

It doesn´t fluctuate above 144, it stops at 144, but is constatly hitting it, unless I cap to 120fps!

TEAML6Kiba

Post by TEAML6Kiba » 16 Jan 2019, 02:28

jorimt wrote: With G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" + a -3 FPS limit, it is normal to see partial tearing near the bottom of the screen in the upper FPS range, and to see full tearing in the lower range during a frametime spike. You will not experience a significant difference in input lag in this scenario if you're jumping in and out of the VRR range, even with an FPS limit in place, because G-SYNC will allow tearing inside it's own range, where necessary.
Hey There!
Would you be so kind to explain that a little further? Because that is exactly what I'm experiencing right now with an OC'd GSYNC Notebook Display! I thought maybe something was wrong with the drivers but shouldn't the manually set FPS cap prevent the Display from dropping out of VRR Range? I mean it's not like that it bothers me that much, since in the Games I play I rarely watch the bottom of the screen. I just want to understand the behaviour of my display a little bit better :).

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 16 Jan 2019, 02:48

Notty_PT wrote:
Luckbad wrote:For what it's worth:

My normal shooter monitor is the Dell S2716DG (G-Sync).

I tested Overwatch today on a Dell S2419HGF with G-Sync compatibility enabled. 141 FPS set in Overwatch.

It felt just as good as always. I tore up with McCree. Snappy, crisp, no tearing, no blanking. I saw the FPS reading on the monitor fluctuating above 144 like you describe, but Overwatch and NVIDIA's overlay reported otherwise and the feel never went bad.
Can you try on Black Ops 4 or Quake Champions? Thanks. I find this weird and more people are reporting the same thing that happens to me, so we need to clear this out. At 141fps no way I can get rid of the tear line. Maybe you don´t notice it? Also Vsync OFF right?

It doesn´t fluctuate above 144, it stops at 144, but is constatly hitting it, unless I cap to 120fps!
Played some Rainbow Six Siege tonight and it worked well there as well. Note that I have VSync set to ON (normal for G-Sync) and get VRR up to my refresh rate. I'll mess around more in the coming days and try to actively pay attention to it. Maybe something that doesn't require focus to do well (where I'll notice stutters but not necessarily tearing).

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 16 Jan 2019, 05:14

Oh yes! If you use Vsync you won´t defo see tearing at all! Try to disable it and tell me how it goes. And compare:

Gsync 141fps + Vsync OFF

vs

Gsync OFF + Vsync OFF + 141fps cap

If you get tearing on the first situation and increased input lag compared to the second one, than you are facing the same "problem"!

Thank you so much for your feedback too!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Jan 2019, 10:01

TEAML6Kiba wrote:Hey There!
Would you be so kind to explain that a little further? Because that is exactly what I'm experiencing right now with an OC'd GSYNC Notebook Display! I thought maybe something was wrong with the drivers but shouldn't the manually set FPS cap prevent the Display from dropping out of VRR Range? I mean it's not like that it bothers me that much, since in the Games I play I rarely watch the bottom of the screen. I just want to understand the behaviour of my display a little bit better :).
It can still tear within the VRR range with G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off." I answered a similar question on the forum recently, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4806&p=37212#p37212

I don't believe G-SYNC notebooks have an actual module, but instead work from the driver/software, but the reasons for tearing within the VRR range are virtually the same, regardless.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

TEAML6Kiba

Post by TEAML6Kiba » 17 Jan 2019, 02:42

jorimt wrote: It can still tear within the VRR range with G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off." I answered a similar question on the forum recently, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4806&p=37212#p37212

I don't believe G-SYNC notebooks have an actual module, but instead work from the driver/software, but the reasons for tearing within the VRR range are virtually the same, regardless.
Good morning and thanks for your quick reply :).

After reading your guide for one more time I think I get it for the most part. So I can finally stop trying to fix something that is not broken in any way :D.

Malinkadink

Post by Malinkadink » 18 Jan 2019, 01:56

I'm keeping an eye on this as i am considering picking up a cheaper 1440p 144hz IPS and save $250 vs the gsync counterpart. Not unheard of to have some issues in initial drivers so hopefully they'll have things resolved in future releases. I plan to upgrade my 1080 to a Vega 7 anyways, is capping the fps 3 below the max hz pretty much bulletproof when using AMD + Freesync?

phatty

Post by phatty » 18 Jan 2019, 15:30

It's unknown and may be monitor dependent.

I tested the VRR on my acer 240hz and the monitor built in refresh rate reporting shows significant differences with in game refresh rate reporting.

There is must be some latent variability that the software isn't able to control close enough rates appropriate in non-gsync verified monitors.

I set a ceiling overwatch to 220, in game it always showed 220 max refresh.

The acer monitor has a built in FPS monitor that can be enabled on the OSD and it would routinely hit 240 hz.

This is with vsync off. I didn't try with vsync on to be fair it is possible that vsync may fix some of this, but I didn't want the input lag with it on.
Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 MB: ASUS Prime Z370-P CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti RAM: 16GB @DDR4-3000

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Jan 2019, 15:42

You don't need to care what the monitor says. The only thing that's important is whether or not you are seeing 220FPS without judder. The driver might have its reasons to do panel refreshes at what seems weird times. If the monitor says 240Hz but the game is running at 220FPS but you don't see stutter, then it's working fine.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

phatty

Post by phatty » 18 Jan 2019, 15:52

So the FPS reporting on the hardware itself is not accurate?

Just want to be sure that's what you're saying.
Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 MB: ASUS Prime Z370-P CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 Ti RAM: 16GB @DDR4-3000