G-Sync Borderlands 2 Tearing and Performance

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TechnoRush

G-Sync Borderlands 2 Tearing and Performance

Post by TechnoRush » 18 Jan 2019, 02:01

I'm using a Strix 1060 & 29UM69G with the new Nvidia Implementation for Freesync and I'm having problems with tearing and low performance with certain configurations on Borderlands 2.

First configuration is;
  • G-Sync enabled in Fullscreen Exclusive
    G-Sync Indicator
    In-Game FPS Limit set to 72FPS
    NVCP and Game V-Sync Off
I get tearing on the bottom part of the screen and sometimes from the middle down. Now from what I've read G-Sync and Freesync is best/meant to be used with Driver Vsync and game or RTSS FPS limit.

I enabled NVCP V-Sync and I get low performance and high frametime, same when I disable the game FPS limit.

So what's wrong and what can we do about it?
Attachments
BL 2.png
BL 2.png (224.56 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
BL 1.png
BL 1.png (217.67 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

jorimt

Re: G-Sync Borderlands 2 Tearing and Performance

Post by jorimt » 18 Jan 2019, 08:52

Tearing within the VRR range with the V-SYNC option off is normal, see why here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4806&p=37212#p37212

As for why you're getting issues with VRR + the V-SYNC option on, you're likely repeatedly falling out of the VRR range because your monitor doesn't support LFC (low framerate compensation)/the minimum refresh range, so when your framerate falls below your VRR range (this can even be triggered briefly during frametime spikes), unlike a real G-SYNC monitor (which effectively has a 0 to max HZ range), it just reverts to V-SYNC behavior (or V-SYNC OFF behavior without the V-SYNC option enabled; thus the middle screen tearing) until your framerate enters the VRR range again.

With FreeSync monitors, the only models that really come even close to performing as well as G-SYNC monitors are those that are FreeSync "2," which typically feature a max refresh rate of 100 or more Hz, and support (software-based) LFC across the entire HZ range, and there aren't many of those, thus the reason Nvidia was only able to "officially" support 12-13 of them with this new driver feature.

While many buyers don't like the price "premium" on G-SYNC monitors over most FreeSync monitors, there's a reason G-SYNC does it through hardware, and a reason why they require monitor certification (with certain minimum specs) before allowing a G-SYNC module in the monitor; performance at the lower VRR range is hard to get right, even through hardware, and since no system has perfect performance, this aspect is virtually required for an optimal VRR experience.

That all said, if you want to avoid tearing AND stay within your VRR range (AND we're assuming here that the driver feature is currently working as intended; early days), you'll want G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC "On" + -3 FPS limit, and you'll want to ensure your system can sustain framerates within your VRR range as much as possible to avoid these issues and retain a smooth experience.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

TechnoRush

Post by TechnoRush » 18 Jan 2019, 09:32

jorimt wrote:Tearing within the VRR range with the V-SYNC option off is normal, see why here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4806&p=37212#p37212

As for why you're getting issues with VRR + the V-SYNC option on, you're likely repeatedly falling out of the VRR range because your monitor doesn't support LFC (low framerate compensation)/the minimum refresh range, so when your framerate falls below your VRR range (this can even be triggered briefly during frametime spikes), unlike a real G-SYNC monitor (which effectively has a 0 to max HZ range), it just reverts to V-SYNC behavior (or V-SYNC OFF behavior without the V-SYNC option enabled; thus the middle screen tearing) until your framerate enters the VRR range again.

With FreeSync monitors, the only models that really come even close to performing as well as G-SYNC monitors are those that are FreeSync "2," which typically feature a max refresh rate of 100 or more Hz, and support (software-based) LFC across the entire HZ range, and there aren't many of those, thus the reason Nvidia was only able to "officially" support 12-13 of them with this new driver feature.

While many buyers don't like the price "premium" on G-SYNC monitors over most FreeSync monitors, there's a reason G-SYNC does it through hardware, and a reason why they require monitor certification (with certain minimum specs) before allowing a G-SYNC module in the monitor; performance at the lower VRR range is hard to get right, even through hardware.

That said, if you want to avoid tearing AND stay within your VRR range (AND we're assuming here that the driver feature is currently working as intended; early days), you'll want G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC "On" + -3 FPS limit, and you'll want to ensure your system can sustain framerates within your VRR range as much as possible to retain a smooth experience.
Yup, I know about tearing without V-Sync hence why I tried enabling it but ran into problems. My system can certainly sustain FPS above the VRR Floor easily and when uncapped I can do 100+ FPS, so it's not me dropping down below the VRR Floor.

On the screenshots I attached for example, first one is the configuration I've listed which get's tearing as expected, then the 2nd shot is exactly the same configuration but with NVCP V-Sync enabled, both on the same scene which is the title screen and it doesn't matter if I'm actually in game roaming Sanctuary, it's the same story of low FPS with high Frametime as long as I have NVCP V-Sync enabled, which doesn't make sense.

Just to be clear
  • G-Sync on + Game V-Sync off + Game FPS Cap 72 + NVCP V-Sync Off = Middle and Bottom Tearing as expected
    G-Sync on + Game V-Sync off + Game FPS Cap 72 + NVCP V-Sync On = Low FPS, Low GPU Utilization, and High Frametime
    G-Sync on + Game V-Sync off + Game FPS Cap off + NVCP V-Sync off = High FPS in the 100s, Low Frametime, and Tearing
What I can't figure out is why configuration 2 is having problems. Not using RTSS since the game already has a built-in FPS limiter.

I'm trying to get into a ratio that would support LFC in this other thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4892&p=37782#p37782 Input would be appreciated.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 18 Jan 2019, 09:47

TechnoRush wrote:Not using RTSS since the game already has a built-in FPS limiter.
I know you said you tried G-SYNC + V-SYNC without the in-game limit in your original post, but to rule it out, disable the in-game limiter and use RTSS instead with G-SYNC + V-SYNC.

Also, check to ensure you are using the in-game "Fullscreen" option by clicking "Window Mode" in the options menu, and, if you don't already, you should check the "G-SYNC Indicator" option in the Nvidia control panel under the top menu's "Display" drop-down, just to make sure G-SYNC is enabled in-game.

Finally, you can try a combination of G-SYNC + in-game V-SYNC as well.

This driver implementation of G-SYNC on a FreeSync monitor obviously isn't quite standalone G-SYNC, or even standalone FreeSync, so much of it could be driver teething issues (who knows if the V-SYNC option currently works as frametime compensation like on traditional G-SYNC/FreeSync), especially since your monitor probably isn't officially supported by this new functionality. Bound to be strange behaviors and unforseen issues.

It's possible you're only going to be able to use this feature with partial tearing (your "configuration 1") until this driver functionality matures, and/or official support for more monitors is eventually added.

If that ends up being the case after you've tried everything else, I suggest you go back to using G-SYNC + V-SYNC OFF with a lower FPS limit (try 60 for a start) to leave some room for frametime variances in the upper VRR range and thus prevent more of the visible tearing that the V-SYNC option would have otherwise fixed with a much smaller limit (if it we're working as it does on actual G-Sync monitors).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)