Shadow of the Tomb Raider gsync + rtss cap frame skipping

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
psychozz

Shadow of the Tomb Raider gsync + rtss cap frame skipping

Post by psychozz » 31 Jan 2019, 05:58

Hello, I tried to play this game with my gsync compatible monitor and rtx 2060. I don't like fluctuating fps, so I usually set a cap with RTSS. Gsync + vsync ON in shadow of the tomb raiders works perfectly, but if I set a cap at 60fps or whatever value with RTSS, I notice some frame skipping / hitching in the game when moving the camera sometimes. Fps counter stays at 60 and there aren't frame time spikes. If I disable the fps cap the game runs good, and if I use nvidia Inspector to cap to 60fps, the game also runs good.
Can someone who has the game try and see if this problem happens for him too?
Also, if I use inspector to cap fps, will it add so much input lag that 60fps with gsync will behave like vsync as regards input lag?

PS: I also noticed the same problem happens with Rise of The Tomb Raider, and both of them ONLY in dx12 mode. If i play in dx11 the fps cap works without hitching. But of course i get less fps in dx11

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider gsync + rtss cap frame skippin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2019, 06:41

Strange, NVInspector playing framerates smoother than RTSS on a FreeSync monitor ("GSYNC Compatible")

I wonder if there are some quirky LFC behaviours going on in the drivers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Jan 2019, 07:07

Does the game have an in-game FPS limiter? Try setting v-sync ON in-game and see if that exposes an FPS limiter.

As for using the nvidia limiter (through inspector), that's usually fine for single player games. You can set "Frame-Rate Limiter Mode" to "Limiter V2 - Force Off [Enables Limiter V1 (Less Input Lag)]". Also, make sure you're using the latest version of profile inspector (2.1.3.20.) Get it from here:

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfil ... r/releases

The download link says "2.1.3.19", but when you run it, it should say "2.1.3.20" in the window title.

Input lag is still going to be much lower than normal vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

psychozz

Post by psychozz » 31 Jan 2019, 10:24

RealNC wrote:Does the game have an in-game FPS limiter? Try setting v-sync ON in-game and see if that exposes an FPS limiter.

As for using the nvidia limiter (through inspector), that's usually fine for single player games. You can set "Frame-Rate Limiter Mode" to "Limiter V2 - Force Off [Enables Limiter V1 (Less Input Lag)]". Also, make sure you're using the latest version of profile inspector (2.1.3.20.) Get it from here:

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfil ... r/releases

The download link says "2.1.3.19", but when you run it, it should say "2.1.3.20" in the window title.

Input lag is still going to be much lower than normal vsync.
Unfortunately there's no in game fps limiter. I'll try your suggestion about inspector, thank you.

By the way, it's really strange for me too to have problems with RTSS, I've used it since so many years for low lag vsync when i didn't have freesync.
Oh, and the problem in tomb raider dx12 only happens with freesync (gsync compatible). If i cap to 60fps with rtss using vsync, butter smooth (of course more input lag).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Jan 2019, 10:37

Who knows why it happens. I don't have this game, but I played through ROTTR with a G-Sync display and an RTSS cap without such issues. So I guess it's something to do with the way VRR is currently implemented for freesync monitors in the nvidia driver.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

psychozz

Post by psychozz » 31 Jan 2019, 10:40

same problem with the inspector cap set to "Limiter V2 - Force Off [Enables Limiter V1 (Less Input Lag)]".
With the normal inspector cap is smooth but more input lag, really don't know why is happening.

These are my conclusions: gsync + vsync on, rtss cap to 60 : frame hitching/little stutters moving camera
gsync + vsync on, nvidia inspector limit to 60, frame limiter mode = default: SMOOTH
gsync + vsync on, nvidia inspector limit to 60, frame limiter mode = LIMITER v2 - Force off : frame hitching
gsync + vsync on, nvidia inspector limit to 60, frame limiter mode = LIMITER v2 - Allow all: larger hitching

Last setting I tried to play with is maximum pre rendered frames: if I set it to 1 instead of app default, then all the combinations above have hitching. (NOTE: all of this in dx12, in dx11 everything fine with rtss)

Thefailsafe

Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider gsync + rtss cap frame skipping

Post by Thefailsafe » 27 Sep 2021, 17:41

I know this is an old thread but I also have been experiencing the same issues with “stutter/jitter” when capping fps in this game (only in DX12). I recently found out that if I turn down “shadows” in the settings to “off” the hitching’s 100% gone. Really really weird... The only way for me to play the game smoothly atm is to let the frames hit the roof and therefore activating V-sync.