Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
open

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Post by open » 22 Apr 2019, 10:27

you may want to try setting your short and long power limits to something higher than stock. the default setup for that cpu is a short term power limit above 95w and a long term limit of 95w. so under heavy loads the cpu will hit the short term power limit and then throttle back down to maintain 95w. even if you are running 5ghz the power limits can make you drop well below that number. typically for overclocking these cpus people put the amp limit at maximum (255 or something) and the short and long term power limits well above 95w. I set both of mine to 150w. I saw some benchmarks and there were very few gains above 140w. providided that you have enough cooling for the cpu and the motherboard can supply enough power it should be ok.

Sanhaii

Post by Sanhaii » 02 May 2019, 08:01

So i've been rocking 144fps cap with gsync on the aw2518h 240hz monitor.

My problems have been non existent untill a few days ago, I seem to be stuttering uncontrollable.
Im using a custom resolution 1440x1080
CPU: 9900k
GPU: 1080ti

I am having no issues with fps or spikes in usage, when i uncap i reach around 220 stable.

Does anyone know how I can fix these stutters? They affect my aim pretty badly since I overflick due to stutters

shonkeykong

Post by shonkeykong » 05 May 2019, 08:15

Notty_PT wrote:NO problem! We are here to help, share and collect information! My setup right now on Apex is:

. +fps_max 138 -> 138fps cap
. Gsync (Driver)
. ViewSonic XG2402 144hz
. Low Settings 1080p

Smooth as butter, I only drop to 110-120fps when on the jump section (looking at the whole map from above, wich stresses GPU a lot).

Been easier to aim this way, compared to 240hz + uncapped wich is a mess for muscle memory (mouse sensitivity/response), altho the input lag was lower this way. But altho input lag is one of the most important, if not the most important aspects for good aim, at some point is not worth it to gain 2ms less input lag, wich comes with judder/stutter and bad mouse behaviour due to the frames/hz inconsistency, like I mentioned on that thread that I created.

I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.

If you can sustain 220-240fps at 240hz with big consistency tho, it is superior. Problem is having that situation on most modern engines. Almost an impossible task.
Thank you very much Notty_PT for sharing your extensive knowledge.

I'm now playing Apex Legends on an XG2401. I've lowered settings and locked fps at 138 as you've suggested. I have definitely experienced a lot of improvement.

Does your fps stay at 144 fps during a match?

I'm finding that it hovers between around 110 to 144 during a match. Based on your experience is that acceptable for accurate aiming?

Would you mind sharing your video settings for Apex?

Thanks.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 05 May 2019, 08:35

I think Notty mentioned that he just runs all low/disabled like most for max fps. I think there's a config shared on this forum for more fps but I've not tried it myself personally.

https://pastebin.com/r2DEhwv9 - shared by @shekel

On the flip side of this I see various pros on various games running fluctuating uncapped fps and aim is not one of their weak points. Your 30 fps difference isn't holding you back imo.

shonkeykong

Post by shonkeykong » 06 May 2019, 17:55

Thanks.

Are people running model details on low? If I set that value it does make a marked difference but I don't really find that playable due to the loss of certain important game details. It would be interesting to know if I could keep that on medium but still have the 144 fps consistently.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 06 May 2019, 22:35

shonkeykong wrote:Thanks.

Are people running model details on low? If I set that value it does make a marked difference but I don't really find that playable due to the loss of certain important game details. It would be interesting to know if I could keep that on medium but still have the 144 fps consistently.
yeah most pros are running settings like just this if it matters to you - https://prosettings.net/apex-legends/di ... -settings/.

shonkeykong

Post by shonkeykong » 07 May 2019, 20:05

Thanks. I'm starting again with the game's stock video settings and gradually introducing the external tweaks.

If I use the model detail low value of 0.6 the visuals are fine to me. I'll see how much lower I can go before it isn't acceptable.

Doing this I can average around 125 fps, with dips to around 90. It would be nice to be able to keep it at a steady 144.

ramb0

Post by ramb0 » 10 Jul 2020, 03:11

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but it's completely relevant to what i'm trying to research...

Running a 2070 which is capable of ~180fps @ 1080p.

But lets say i run this game at the default capped fps of 144, would there be any advantages/disadvantages of running it on a 240hz G-Sync display vs 144 G-Sync display?

Is it better to try and match the fps to the display's native hz, or is G-Sync just as good regardless of the discrepancy between fps & hz??

Lastly, with regards to 240hz G-Sync display, is there any truth to the suggestion that capping game to 120fps would be better than 144fps?

Cheers

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 10 Jul 2020, 08:00

ramb0 wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 03:11
lets say i run this game at the default capped fps of 144, would there be any advantages/disadvantages of running it on a 240hz G-Sync display vs 144 G-Sync display?
Performance or framepacing-wise, no, no difference, but 1), you want to cap at least -3 FPS below your refresh rate to keep G-SYNC in working range, and 2) 240Hz 141 FPS will have even less overall input lag than 144Hz 141 FPS due to the increased scanout speed.

That said, depending on whether your 240Hz display is G-SYNC Compatible or G-SYNC native (whether it supports dynamic/variable overdrive), the 240Hz display could handle GtG overdrive differently @144Hz than a 144Hz monitor at the same framerate and possibly cause more overdrive artifacts (ghosting, overshoot, etc) during variable framerates.
ramb0 wrote:
Is it better to try and match the fps to the display's native hz, or is G-Sync just as good regardless of the discrepancy between fps & hz??
Absolutely not; within the refresh rate, framerate is refresh rate and refresh rate is framerate with G-SYNC. You could set it to 133.324 FPS @240Hz and frame delivery would still be 1:1, as G-SYNC matches the display rate to the render rate.
ramb0 wrote:
Lastly, with regards to 240hz G-Sync display, is there any truth to the suggestion that capping game to 120fps would be better than 144fps?
Again, no. G-SYNC doesn't need even framerate/refresh rate ratios to deliver frames smoothly within its range. This applies more to standalone V-SYNC.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ramb0

Post by ramb0 » 10 Jul 2020, 23:14

jorimt wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 08:00
ramb0 wrote:
lets say i run this game at the default capped fps of 144, would there be any advantages/disadvantages of running it on a 240hz G-Sync display vs 144 G-Sync display?
Performance or framepacing-wise, no, no difference, but 1), you want to cap at least -3 FPS below your refresh rate to keep G-SYNC in working range, and 2) 240Hz 141 FPS will have even less overall input lag than 144Hz 141 FPS due to the increased scanout speed.

That said, depending on whether your 240Hz display is G-SYNC Compatible or G-SYNC native (whether it supports dynamic/variable overdrive), the 240Hz display could handle GtG overdrive differently @144Hz than a 144Hz monitor at the same framerate and possibly cause more overdrive artifacts (ghosting, overshoot, etc) during variable framerates.
Since my Nvidia GPU can maintain >144fps, if i was to get a 144hz display, would adaptive sync and therefore G-Sync compatibility even matter or be of any benefit in this scenario?

For example, i could set game to limit FPS to 144 to match display hz, therefore no variable refresh rate would be needed...?
OR, is game limit FPS not stable enough, and would have to enable V-Sync via NVCP instead? (which would increase input lag, and therefore game FPS 141 + G-Sync compatibility would be better?)

I'm also still undecided whether or not Blur Reduction would be beneficial - seems like it comes down to personal choice for many people, but when i look at some reviews, Mr. UFO certainly looks clearer with Blur Reduction tech. Further to that, the G-Sync native ULBM seems to be the best blur reduction tech compared to a lot of the vendor's own methods, but obviously you're paying the G-Sync Native premium...