Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Post by jorimt » 11 Jul 2020, 07:48

ramb0 wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 23:14
Since my Nvidia GPU can maintain >144fps, if i was to get a 144hz display, would adaptive sync and therefore G-Sync compatibility even matter or be of any benefit in this scenario?

For example, i could set game to limit FPS to 144 to match display hz, therefore no variable refresh rate would be needed...?
OR, is game limit FPS not stable enough, and would have to enable V-Sync via NVCP instead? (which would increase input lag, and therefore game FPS 141 + G-Sync compatibility would be better?)
For the 144Hz 144 FPS V-SYNC off scenario, that's probably the least optimal situation for V-SYNC off; typically, you want to have your framerate as high above your refresh rate as possible with V-SYNC off as to increase the tearline count to both make the tearing less noticeable and to reap the benefits of V-SYNC off input lag reduction (due to multiple tearlines in a single scanout).

As for 144Hz 144 FPS V-SYNC, that won't fully work either, as similar to G-SYNC, you have to set the FPS slightly below the refresh rate to avoid V-SYNC input lag, but unlike G-SYNC, V-SYNC is a fixed refresh solution, so it will occasionally repeat a frame when limited below the refresh rate, causing stutter.

Have you tried RTSS Scanline Sync? It's a tearless (and a free) V-SYNC off solution that allows you to manually steer the tearline off-screen. It's a little touchy, but so long as all your games can maintain 144+ FPS, it is a viable fixed refresh option. The only downside is that it stops functioning properly if your GPU usage is too high and/or the framerate drops below the refresh rate.

As for G-SYNC + V-SYNC + 141 FPS limit, it effectively does the same thing as scanline sync, but better, and for any framerate within the refresh rate, and isn't reliant on GPU usage remaining low or on a certain framerate to retain it's functionality.
ramb0 wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 23:14
I'm also still undecided whether or not Blur Reduction would be beneficial - seems like it comes down to personal choice for many people, but when i look at some reviews, Mr. UFO certainly looks clearer with Blur Reduction tech. Further to that, the G-Sync native ULBM seems to be the best blur reduction tech compared to a lot of the vendor's own methods, but obviously you're paying the G-Sync Native premium...
Tear-free, double-image-free blur reduction requires framerate to = Hz at all times + some form of V-SYNC. As for ULMB being "best," not necessarily, but short of ULMB (which is the closest strobing gets to set and forget), expect to mess around with more parameters to get blur reduction to your liking on your config.

There are also a handful of monitors that do FreeSync + Strobing (ELMB), but that solution isn't quite cooked yet, and, in my opinion, has more downsides than just picking VRR or strobing currently (though it will possible improve in time).

Blur reduction also isn't the best for the lowest input lag or for those who prefer a brighter image, but it certainly is the best for those that want to reduce motion blur.

As you said, it ultimately comes down to personal choice, but more specifically, it comes down to what combination of trade-offs you're willing to accept.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)