Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby hnau » 15 Feb 2019, 10:27

Notty_PT wrote:I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.


What about 144hz on a non-gsync monitor? I'm still rocking a VG248QE from 2013 and plan to hop to a XG2402 the next time there's a decent sale. In the meantime would it be better to go uncapped at 144hz or +fps_max 144 in terms of aim/muscle memory? Right now I'm running Apex w/ "-novid +cl_showfps 4 +fps_max 144 -freq 144" which feels decent, but maybe fps_max 0 would be better when my monitor has no VRR support?
hnau
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Feb 2019, 11:19

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby takoid » 15 Feb 2019, 12:25

hnau wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.


What about 144hz on a non-gsync monitor? I'm still rocking a VG248QE from 2013 and plan to hop to a XG2402 the next time there's a decent sale. In the meantime would it be better to go uncapped at 144hz or +fps_max 144 in terms of aim/muscle memory? Right now I'm running Apex w/ "-novid +cl_showfps 4 +fps_max 144 -freq 144" which feels decent, but maybe fps_max 0 would be better when my monitor has no VRR support?


With a 144hz monitor without G-Sync your best bet is to get rid of the -freq and +fps_max launch options because they are pointless for your setup. The game has a 144 FPS cap by default which is perfectly suited for your monitor.

I'm not sure whether NVCP V-Sync is recommended for non G-Sync users or not but that might be something to play around with.
takoid
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 17:38

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby knypol » 03 Mar 2019, 06:52

I have pg258q and this game looks realy weird when unlocking fps. Screen is set to 240Hz with Gsync and everything above 144 fpx looks much worse than caped to 144 (above 144 I can almost see double edges on the landscapes. Even image is more blurry at 240fps than 144 - and yes I can reach 240+ in training room). Looks like above 144fps overdrive is somehow messed up. I made test in BF1 and there is no such problem. Is it possible that game engine could influence hardware so much?

ps. Is it better to have steady 144fps on 240Hz refresh than fluctuating 144 to 237 fps in terms of clarity? Are the fluctuating fps influece overdrive in monitor?

or maybe I should just set my monitor to 144Hz to get optimal overdrive and motion clarity?
knypol
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Aug 2016, 03:40

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby YukonTrooper » 06 Mar 2019, 00:51

Can't remember where I read it, but apparently the engine is designed to run optimally <144fps. I run @165Hz for the reduced input latency benefits, but I allow the engine to natively cap my FPS @ 144 without any command line arguments.
YukonTrooper
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 06 Feb 2014, 23:24

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 06 Mar 2019, 16:28

For advanced readers, I insert my famous pandora boxes here and there.

I explain the double-image effects during stutters on sample-and-hold (non-ULMB)
Skip of behind-the-scenes tech stuff bores you.
Read if you're a fan.

<Blur Busters Technology Pandora Box>

Explanation Of Double Image Effects On Non-Strobed Displays During Erratic Stutter/Judder

Normally, non-blur-reduction modes don't create double-edge effects in sample-hold displays, but --

Certain framerate divisors -- like a cadence of 2/3 framerate (e.g. 160fps at 240Hz) -- can create a double-edge effect without using motion blur reduction.

The double image effect has long been a fixture of 3:2 judder by home theater videophiles. Many have speculated why there's a double image even on LCD (non-strobed). The explanation is surprisingly simple for those who already understand display persistence (ala http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking) -- it's simply two simultaneously overlapping motion blurs (a thinner motion blur and a thicker motion blur).

This is because two very clear stutter harmonics are overlapping each other. 160fps at 240Hz generates a 2:1 pulldown effect creating a judder (erratic stutter). Long stutter, short stutter, long stutter, short stutter, alternating continuously.

144fps at 240Hz is more erratic but is not too far off the mark. So this can create prolonged screen persistence at one edge of the display motion blur, creating an impression of a duplicate image, thanks to increased persistence at one end of the stutter amplitude.

And you know how high-frequency stutter blends into motion blur?

Just like when you stare at http://www.testufo.com#count=4 .... the fastest UFOs are just motion blur and the slowest UFOs are just stutter. The faster an edge vibrates, the vibrates is beyond human flicker threshold, and is just persistence display motion blur. Yep persistence = stutter. It's a continuum. Low-Hz guitar strings vibrate noticeably. High-Hz guitar strings vibrate so fast it's blurry. Stutter on high-Hz displays is _exactly_ this.

Persistence is stutter. Stutter is persistence. It's a continuum. Don't believe me? Look at http://www.testufo.com/vrr then -- watch a slowly ramping frame rate on a variable refresh rate display and it's just Eureka like E=mc^2. Which is easily seen in variable refresh rate ramping animations like http://www.testufo.com/vrr ... Once you see those animations, it's that simple!

Yep, both of the stutter harmonic frequencies blends into their two separate thicknesses of motion blurs.

High-frequency edge stutter vibrates so fast, the edge of moving objects simply blends to motion blur (like a high-Hz guitar string that vibrates so fast, it is blurry) as seen in Blur Busters Law And The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays. At high frequencies (framerates far beyond human flicker fusion threshold), stutter creates persistence (motion blur).

Erratic high-frequency stutter can create two different intensities of motion blur (e.g. 320fps at 480Hz) -- stronger motion blur at leading edge of motion. And fainter motion blur at trailing edge of motion. So even the erraticness can blend differently.

That's why you sometimes see an increased double-image effect during erratic stutter (e.g. 160fps at 240Hz) on non-impulsed displays. You're creating a pulldown, e.g. 2:1:2:1:2:1 -- where every other frame is repeated twice if you don't have VRR with perfect gametime=frametime=refreshtime sync for ideal VRR. Especially with ultra-accurate frame rate capping (like RTSS microsecond-accurate) to keep the pulldown consistent, can intensify the double-image effect for odd divisors of frame rate on fixed-Hz

When you enable VRR for 160fps@240Hz, the double-image effect diminishes or disappears. When you disable VRR for 160fps@240Hz and use VSYNC ON instead, the double-image effect reappears (2:1:2:1:2:1 pulldown...)

The 2:1 pulldown has two different stutter amplitudes. One stutter amplitude is twice as wide as the other stutter amplitude. If both stutter frequencies are high enough, both of them blends into motion blur. You now have a thinner motion blur overlapping a thicker motion blur. Voila. Another cause of double image effect that doesn't need strobing. See?

I should create new TestUFO motion tests that demonstrates simultaneous stutter harmonic frequencies / beat frequencies. It's a rather interesting science for ultra-Hz researchers. Often unimportant to many, but it very nicely explains the "double image effect" very nicely for non-impulsed displays (e.g. not using ULMB).

Once we're using 1000fps+ at 1000Hz+ all of this practically doesn't really matter, but we're still at the brunt of beat-frequency and harmonic-frequency motion artifacts even at 240Hz and 480Hz, in this current Refresh Rate Race to future Retina Refresh Rates.

</Blur Busters Technology Pandora Box>

That concludes a behind-the-scenes explanation. Enjoy.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6267
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby knypol » 06 Mar 2019, 17:40

So with Gsync at 240Hz its better to use 120fps rather than 160? After my tests beyond 144fps image starts to blurry with judder/stutter. Its really strange that other game like BF1 has no such problem. But Apex is taxing my GPU a lot more than BF1 and that might be a problem.

Perfectly for me would be to use ULMB but sadly input lag for fps games is just to noticable. Tried scanline sync (rtss) and limiting fps just below refresh rate but it doesnt please me. Only full VSync is acceptable for ULMB.

Edit. In other words. Vrr removes tearing but when fps are changing alot I can see double.images? So the best solution is to find lowest fps and cap the game on that level?
knypol
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Aug 2016, 03:40

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby Sanhaii » 15 Mar 2019, 09:21

Notty_PT wrote:NO problem! We are here to help, share and collect information! My setup right now on Apex is:

. +fps_max 138 -> 138fps cap
. Gsync (Driver)
. ViewSonic XG2402 144hz
. Low Settings 1080p

Smooth as butter, I only drop to 110-120fps when on the jump section (looking at the whole map from above, wich stresses GPU a lot).

Been easier to aim this way, compared to 240hz + uncapped wich is a mess for muscle memory (mouse sensitivity/response), altho the input lag was lower this way. But altho input lag is one of the most important, if not the most important aspects for good aim, at some point is not worth it to gain 2ms less input lag, wich comes with judder/stutter and bad mouse behaviour due to the frames/hz inconsistency, like I mentioned on that thread that I created.

I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.

If you can sustain 220-240fps at 240hz with big consistency tho, it is superior. Problem is having that situation on most modern engines. Almost an impossible task.


Hi, I've been trying to find a consistant setup for my monitor, im running an alienware 2518H at 240hz with gsync. I have well over 250 hours into apex, sadly my improvement is lacking. My aim seems to be inconsistent as people have described this could be due to my frames dropping suddenly. I run on a evga 1080ti and a 9900k, at 100% gpu usage explaining the drops sometimes. I can get up to 350 fps but go down to 120 aswel.

I see you recommend locking the fps at 144hz, should i consider also turning my monitor down to 144hz? If i can consistently get 144hz (if i lower settings i will never go below) Should i leave gsync off? I could run with ULMB since you look around alot in this game, but i'd say crosshair aiming is also very important so I might just not mess with that.
Basically just wondering if I should lower my monitor to 144hz or rock it at 240hz and cap the game at 144hz.
Sanhaii
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 09:15

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby jorimt » 15 Mar 2019, 09:51

Sanhaii wrote:Basically just wondering if I should lower my monitor to 144hz or rock it at 240hz and cap the game at 144hz.

Notty_PT is using a native 144Hz monitor in that specific setup, which is why his configuration is 138 FPS @144Hz.

However, since you have a 240Hz monitor, you'll want to keep it at 240Hz, since due to its faster scanout (4.2ms scanout vs. 6.9ms scanout of native 144Hz refresh rate), 240Hz scans in/delivers frames faster, regardless of framerate; e.g. 144 FPS @240Hz w/VRR (G-SYNC/FreeSync) still has less input lag than an equivalent 141 FPS at 144Hz w/VRR (G-SYNC/FreeSync).

So 240Hz G-SYNC with a 144 FPS limit is the optimal setup in this case, at least if you're looking for the lowest input lag/fastest input response with that configuration.
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 (1809) MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz
User avatar
jorimt
 
Posts: 705
Joined: 04 Nov 2016, 10:44

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby Notty_PT » 15 Mar 2019, 17:29

Sanhaii wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:NO problem! We are here to help, share and collect information! My setup right now on Apex is:

. +fps_max 138 -> 138fps cap
. Gsync (Driver)
. ViewSonic XG2402 144hz
. Low Settings 1080p

Smooth as butter, I only drop to 110-120fps when on the jump section (looking at the whole map from above, wich stresses GPU a lot).

Been easier to aim this way, compared to 240hz + uncapped wich is a mess for muscle memory (mouse sensitivity/response), altho the input lag was lower this way. But altho input lag is one of the most important, if not the most important aspects for good aim, at some point is not worth it to gain 2ms less input lag, wich comes with judder/stutter and bad mouse behaviour due to the frames/hz inconsistency, like I mentioned on that thread that I created.

I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.

If you can sustain 220-240fps at 240hz with big consistency tho, it is superior. Problem is having that situation on most modern engines. Almost an impossible task.


Hi, I've been trying to find a consistant setup for my monitor, im running an alienware 2518H at 240hz with gsync. I have well over 250 hours into apex, sadly my improvement is lacking. My aim seems to be inconsistent as people have described this could be due to my frames dropping suddenly. I run on a evga 1080ti and a 9900k, at 100% gpu usage explaining the drops sometimes. I can get up to 350 fps but go down to 120 aswel.

I see you recommend locking the fps at 144hz, should i consider also turning my monitor down to 144hz? If i can consistently get 144hz (if i lower settings i will never go below) Should i leave gsync off? I could run with ULMB since you look around alot in this game, but i'd say crosshair aiming is also very important so I might just not mess with that.
Basically just wondering if I should lower my monitor to 144hz or rock it at 240hz and cap the game at 144hz.


If your monitor has no problem with Gsync + 144fps cap + 240hz refresh rate, then this is the best possible solution! That´s if the monitor handles the overdrive correctly at 144fps @ 240hz. Most 240hz monitors don´t, so you will have to find out if it bothers you or not.

One thing I can assure you, Apex is clearly a 144fps cap game. Even the devs locked it to 144 by default. We can overcome that with commands, but the engine is not ready/optimized for that. That´s why stutters happen all the time once you go past 144, even with a steady 160 framerate, for example.
Notty_PT
 
Posts: 481
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: Apex Legends Optimal Settings for 240hz G-Sync Monitors

Postby cheater » 02 Apr 2019, 13:26

Hi, I registered to let you know that Apex is raising the fps cap to 300. The team posted this in an update last Thursday (28 March 2019).

Original post:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discu ... 996#M17255

FRAME RATE CAPPED TO 144 ON PC

In the last patch we made an update with the intent to cap frames at 300 if players bypassed the default 144 frames per second. This introduced a bug that capped frames to 144 regardless if players uncapped it or not. In the next patch we’ll be fixing this so the cap is 300 as intended.
cheater
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Apr 2019, 13:22

PreviousNext

Return to G-SYNC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests