What do you guys prefer for fortnite?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Khysarth

What do you guys prefer for fortnite?

Post by Khysarth » 24 Feb 2019, 20:12

The articles optimal settings which are 237 cap, with Nvidia control panel G sync and V sync on, and ingame v sync off

or No FPS cap and all sync's disabled for best input lag

Notty_PT

Re: What do you guys prefer for fortnite?

Post by Notty_PT » 25 Feb 2019, 15:40

After a certain point input lag doesnt matter as much and consistent framerate + gsync/freesync start to be priorities for good aim.

Everytime you need to track an enemy with crosshair, your frame tumes can hurt your image clarity and smoothness. Having a steady framerate or gsync will make you track better even if it has a bit higher input lag than uncapped/no sync

However the jump from 60fps to 120fps input lag wise is more imoortant than good image sync/stability.

Best you can do is play either:

- aim hero
- quake champions (my favourite for this)
- kovaak aim trainer

Try different scenarios and find with wich one you aim better.

After years playing quake and trying different settings I can assure my best aim happens with:

1- steady framerate
2- gsync

Doesnt matter if Im at 200fps or 138fps. Altho 240hz deliver lowest input lag, having steady synched frames will make me play better. Input lag is the most important thing until a certain point only.

The ideal scenario is of course:

- 240hz
- 200-240 fps interval (only a 0,8 ms frametime variation here)
- Gsync/Freesync

Sadly current day hardware cant sustain these framerates consistently, so the 138fps lock + 144hz + gsync/freesync is the moat realistic approach, costs 1 third of the price and doesnt make you play any worse.

Also a matured 144hz monitor like the ViewSonic XG2402 is barely slower than a 240hz monitor (4,1ms vs 3,7ms according to rtings, only 0,4ms difference) wich makes the 240hz approach close to pointless right now.

Be aware that most 144hz models are way slower tho, like the Asus vg248qe at 5,1ms.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2019, 22:48

Some of the professional players use 240Hz GSYNC, such as Tfue and others (prosettings.net).

He does have a $20,000 Fortnite setup (though more than half of that being the PC, rest being other equipment and streaming). So he can crank the frames warranting 240Hz in Fortnite.

I briefly saw some of his twitch streams and framerates does hit 240 quite often in Fortnite games (I'd estimate well more than 50% of the time he was capped out 240fps at 240Hz). Though it does fluctuate all over the place.

Some players are able to adapt quickly to the latency differences of framerate changes. Aiming can be pretty tight at >200fps at 240Hz, with advantages outweighing the slight degradation of lag familiarity (lag training effect, muscle memory effect) during reasonably-occasional framerate drops. While others just prefer the consistency and comfort of consistent frame rates.

144Hz is indeed an easier goal but some readers will no doubt prefer to go 240Hz especially if your gaming also includes CS:GO.

Your personal mileage will vary.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 26 Feb 2019, 10:31

True, CS GO, Overwatch and Quake Live are 3 ideal games for 240hz!

AlexWhelan

Post by AlexWhelan » 09 Apr 2019, 05:05

So 240hz will limit you in the way that if you cant get the 240fps you'll have less smooth aim/tracking making it inconsistent ?