APEX Legends Smooth Screen vs Less Input lag and tearing

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
edump

APEX Legends Smooth Screen vs Less Input lag and tearing

Post by edump » 28 Feb 2019, 00:29

I've read Gsync 101 a hundred times and love it. I have it set up for all my games.

But with apex I want the least amount of input lag possible.

Would running uncapped FPS + Gsync and vsync off provide lower input lag than Gsync + NVCP Vsync ON + 141 FPS

I have a ryzen 2700x and OC Founders 1070 (+220hz) Asus MG278Q 144hz

At 1440p, over 2 hours of playing my AVG FPS monitor reads 135fps this is with uncapped FPS. This number is a little skewed because it's counting the loading screens where I get 500fps and the screens where I get 2 fps.

In most areas of the game I'll be between 120 and 200fps.

Competitively speaking at these FPS rates, would it better to run with Gsync ON to remove tearing or is the input lag reduction from no gsync more beneficial.

I've read about pros choosing to deal with screen tearing in favor of low input lag, but thats at high FPS. I'm +-25 FPS of my refresh rate most of the time. Could having no screen tearing and a small bit of input lag be better for my aim than less input lag and screen tearing.

Side Questions:

Would lowering my refresh rate to 120 with gsync off, and fps_max 120 provide the lowest input lag and no screen tearing?

Is there a benefit to running uncapped fps in regards to frametime. If I run the game at 1080p I get avg fps of 270, thats 3.7ms frametime. My monitor has a 1ms response time. Would lower frametimes translate to better mouse / keyboard response?

mello

Re: APEX Legends Smooth Screen vs Less Input lag and tearing

Post by mello » 28 Feb 2019, 07:39

IRL. Shroud said that capping fps in this game is better, than uncapped, simply because this game behaves weird with large fps flunctuations. Some games behave better and aiming is not affected as much, but it looks it is not the case with Apex Legends. Besides, an actual skill and movement is much more important in this game than having an absolute lowest input lag possible, at least in my opinion. So the more consistency you have, both with you fps and input lag, the better.

With 144Hz monitor, cap at 140 FPS.
If you have 240Hz monitor, maybe you should cap at 120 FPS.
G-SYNC on in both scenarios of course.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 28 Feb 2019, 10:16

Quoting what I said on other similar thread, about the same game:
Notty_PT wrote:NO problem! We are here to help, share and collect information! My setup right now on Apex is:

. +fps_max 138 -> 138fps cap
. Gsync (Driver)
. ViewSonic XG2402 144hz
. Low Settings 1080p

Smooth as butter, I only drop to 110-120fps when on the jump section (looking at the whole map from above, wich stresses GPU a lot).

Been easier to aim this way, compared to 240hz + uncapped wich is a mess for muscle memory (mouse sensitivity/response), altho the input lag was lower this way. But altho input lag is one of the most important, if not the most important aspects for good aim, at some point is not worth it to gain 2ms less input lag, wich comes with judder/stutter and bad mouse behaviour due to the frames/hz inconsistency, like I mentioned on that thread that I created.

I can´t stress this enough, even for pro players playing competitive. Having a steady framerate and USING Gsync/FreeSync, is a must for your aim. Trust me. Even if you notice the mouse a tiny bit laggier compared to uncapped frames + 240hz.

If you can sustain 220-240fps at 240hz with big consistency tho, it is superior. Problem is having that situation on most modern engines. Almost an impossible task.
After a certain point input lag doesnt matter as much and consistent framerate + gsync/freesync start to be priorities for good aim.

Everytime you need to track an enemy with crosshair, your frame tumes can hurt your image clarity and smoothness. Having a steady framerate or gsync will make you track better even if it has a bit higher input lag than uncapped/no sync

However the jump from 60fps to 120fps input lag wise is more imoortant than good image sync/stability.

Best you can do is play either:

- aim hero
- quake champions (my favourite for this)
- kovaak aim trainer

Try different scenarios and find with wich one you aim better.

After years playing quake and trying different settings I can assure my best aim happens with:

1- steady framerate
2- gsync

Doesnt matter if Im at 200fps or 138fps. Altho 240hz deliver lowest input lag, having steady synched frames will make me play better. Input lag is the most important thing until a certain point only.

The ideal scenario is of course:

- 240hz
- 200-240 fps interval (only a 0,8 ms frametime variation here)
- Gsync/Freesync

Sadly current day hardware cant sustain these framerates consistently, so the 138fps lock + 144hz + gsync/freesync is the moat realistic approach, costs 1 third of the price and doesnt make you play any worse.

Also a matured 144hz monitor like the ViewSonic XG2402 is barely slower than a 240hz monitor (4,1ms vs 3,7ms according to rtings, only 0,4ms difference) wich makes the 240hz approach close to pointless right now.

Be aware that most 144hz models are way slower tho, like the Asus vg248qe at 5,1ms.

ko4

Post by ko4 » 28 Feb 2019, 19:25

Apex legends is hard on the GPU I get input lag when my gpu reaches 97 percent. It might be different for you though maybe if your cpu bottlenecks before your gpu

bread

Post by bread » 11 Mar 2019, 08:43

Uncapped + Sync turned off is fastest and is usually the standard setup competitive pros use.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 11 Mar 2019, 18:11

bread wrote:Uncapped + Sync turned off is fastest and is usually the standard setup competitive pros use.
Wich doesnt mean it ia the best approach at all! Running framerates that exceed monitor hz is really bad for your aim, specially tracking. Also aiming with a floaty framerate is very bad for muscle memory (erratic mouse sens).

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 12 Mar 2019, 11:22

Notty_PT wrote:Also aiming with a floaty framerate is very bad for muscle memory (erratic mouse sens).
Are there any sources proving apex legends is game without frame independent mouse input?

bread

Post by bread » 12 Mar 2019, 11:51

Well I didn't really say it was the best for everyone just that most people who play pro level use it :) . What works for you is down to preference and finding the right settings to suit you.

Also I shot you a PM about your 240hz monitor would be nice to get your thoughts on it.
Notty_PT wrote:
bread wrote:Uncapped + Sync turned off is fastest and is usually the standard setup competitive pros use.
Wich doesnt mean it ia the best approach at all! Running framerates that exceed monitor hz is really bad for your aim, specially tracking. Also aiming with a floaty framerate is very bad for muscle memory (erratic mouse sens).

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Mar 2019, 18:58

bread wrote:Well I didn't really say it was the best for everyone just that most people who play pro level use it :) . What works for you is down to preference and finding the right settings to suit you.

Also I shot you a PM about your 240hz monitor would be nice to get your thoughts on it.
Notty_PT wrote:
Sorry, didn´t see it. But I don´t reccomend any 240hz monitor, unless someone only plays Counter Strike or Overwatch. You have my thoughts here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914

240hz monitors are not matured enough and a good 144hz/165hz monitor will at least be as good as a 240hz one, skill/aim wise.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 13 Mar 2019, 17:37

On the topic of Apex performance - does anyone else also run with all low settings including texture streaming budget on none and AA off?