Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
GFresha

Re: Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Post by GFresha » 03 Mar 2019, 23:58

theangryregulator wrote:
GFresha wrote:Yes RTSS. But I found out now that after overclocking my monitor to 165 hz and changing my resolution to its native res (since fortnite pro players usually use 4:3 res that's not their 16:9 native) and now my spikes are very similar to your. 25 MS being the max and I did not even notice any of them, no jinxing but I think I'm good now! I don't know if it was the 165 hz or changing my res to its native that lowered the spikes but I don't want test further since this is perfect now. I wonder if 240 hz is even better, hmmmmmmmmmmm
By increasing the resolution and framecap it sounds like you're increasing the gpu usage more than anything. My gpu sits at low clocks on all low settings (apart from view distance on epic) on fortnite with a cap of 138.
Specs: 8700k, 980 ti, 2x8 3800mhz ram

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 13 Jun 2021, 22:56

Sorry to bump this thread but I too have noticed micro stutter frame time spikes. After playing the ps5 version my conclusion is asset streaming causes these stutters which was brought up as a possibility on page 1 by the consistently excellent jorimt . The ps5 ssd absolutely fly’s and apparently on oc side we are bottlenecked via software that direct storage from Microsoft and rtx io from Nvidia WOL look to solve.

I played in 120 FPS mode and never once saw any hitching or microstutters. The performance tab was locked at 120 FPS. The same performance tab will note these spikes on the pc version. Yo I can even play fortnite with a mouse and keyboard on ps5.

If vrr and proper frame dapping were present on ps5 it would be the definitive version to play this game on. I have no idea how the series x plays, but I get 50-60 ms of latency on ps5 with my lg oled and it’s in the 20’s with gsync plus Nvidia reflex in 120 hz.

My guess is the Xbox version is just capped at 120 FPS which negates the input lag benefits of variable refresh rate, but I don’t have my hands on one to test.

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 06 Jul 2021, 05:01

GFresha wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 23:58
theangryregulator wrote:
GFresha wrote:Yes RTSS. But I found out now that after overclocking my monitor to 165 hz and changing my resolution to its native res (since fortnite pro players usually use 4:3 res that's not their 16:9 native) and now my spikes are very similar to your. 25 MS being the max and I did not even notice any of them, no jinxing but I think I'm good now! I don't know if it was the 165 hz or changing my res to its native that lowered the spikes but I don't want test further since this is perfect now. I wonder if 240 hz is even better, hmmmmmmmmmmm
By increasing the resolution and framecap it sounds like you're increasing the gpu usage more than anything. My gpu sits at low clocks on all low settings (apart from view distance on epic) on fortnite with a cap of 138.
Specs: 8700k, 980 ti, 2x8 3800mhz ram
Damn...25ms and you don't notice anything?I notice anything over 15ms -.-
I might have OCD.

bossman90

Post by bossman90 » 25 Sep 2022, 13:40

I will ressurect this thread. I've noticed that when I have RTSS enabled, on every keystroke I have framte time spikes which cause brutal fps drops (micro stutter). When RTSS is excluded for Fortnite - everything backs to normal. I don't know if RTSS is broken or what...

I did some tests:
- RTSS enabled, using keyboard - Press W and hold it to move character causes one frametime drop. When I release W to stop the character - another frametime drop.
- RTSS enabled, using controller - zero issues
- RTSS disabled, using keyboard - zero issues.

jabbo

Post by jabbo » 31 Oct 2022, 13:44

bossman90 wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 13:40
I did some tests:
- RTSS enabled, using keyboard - Press W and hold it to move character causes one frametime drop. When I release W to stop the character - another frametime drop.
- RTSS enabled, using controller - zero issues
- RTSS disabled, using keyboard - zero issues.
First thought is there may be some keybind in RTSS on those keys causing a conflict (you may want to check keybinds for other running software too like discord, nvidia shadowplay, etc). If you have RTSS's monitor graph open on another screen you may want to right-click on it and disable "always on top." In the past, I had issues with that messing with gsync.