Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
GFresha

Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Post by GFresha » 01 Mar 2019, 17:36

Own 144 hz gsync xb271HU monitor and Fortnite is literally the only game where my frametime reaches 31 MS every minute or so while my FPS is 141... FPS usually drops by one or two digits but my spikes are 31 MS... I tried to get people to get me their frametime graphs but no1 cameback to me. Is this normal? Would 240hz gsync tn fix the issue or what?

GFresha

Re: Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Post by GFresha » 01 Mar 2019, 18:51

Here is a graph of my frametime spikes in Fortnite

https://imgur.com/PjFIMGU

My fps was locked at 141 but my spikes were in 35-37 MS range!!! How? I am running gsync on vsync off not sure how to fix this guys please help...

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Mar 2019, 20:59

You'd get those spikes with no sync as well. Frametime spikes aren't usually directly the fault of the display or syncing method in use, but the system itself (which they originate from).

There are lots of causes:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... spikes-101

While you may indeed possibly end up being able to reduce the spikes you are seeing in that game, you can never fully remove the occurrence of frametime spikes, and some asset loading/streaming-related stutter is to be expected in modern games.

For Fortnite, the frametime spikes are likely primarily from 1, asset loading/background streaming (HDD/SSD access) and/or 2, network activity. Your specific system configuration, background programs, etc, may or may not be exacerbating them.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 01 Mar 2019, 22:33

jorimt wrote:You'd get those spikes with no sync as well. Frametime spikes aren't usually directly the fault of the display or syncing method in use, but the system itself (which they originate from).

There are lots of causes:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... spikes-101

While you may indeed possibly end up being able to reduce the spikes you are seeing in that game, you can never fully remove the occurrence of frametime spikes, and some asset loading/streaming-related stutter is to be expected in modern games.

For Fortnite, the frametime spikes are likely primarily from 1, asset loading/background streaming (HDD/SSD access) and/or 2, network activity. Your specific system configuration, background programs, etc, may or may not be exacerbating them.

Problem is Apex legends has 0 spikes so this is likely issue on Fortnite, however I do get packet loss on that game so does that cause frametime spikes? I used Speedify VPN to fix my packet loss and now I get 0 packet loss but the frametime spikes are still there. Just two days ago the spikes were at 23 MS now they are in the 30s cos of the new season update. I have the game on my SSD but HDD = same result. My system is 980 ti, 8700k, 3800 mhz 2x8 ram. I know we can do stuff to mediate the spikes but they never go away the problem is I notice them a lot so is their some options to try so that when frametime spikes happen I do not notice them?! What about 240 hz monitor? Currently using XB271HU

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Mar 2019, 23:08

First off, I can assure you that, if anything, a 240 Hz monitor will potentially make frametime spikes more obvious, not less; the higher the possible average framerate + refresh rate (especially with VRR), the more apparent the drops are when they occur.

If you want frametime spikes to be less obvious, you'd actually want to downgrade to 60Hz and/or a locked (console-style) 30 FPS, which obviously isn't desirable for any other reason.

Some things to check:

- What/how many background programs do you have running when gaming?
- Do you multi-task, record, or stream during gaming?
- Do you have the Windows Game bar or Game DVR enabled?
- Do you have fullscreen optimizations enabled or disabled globally or per exe?
- What is "Maximum pre-rendered frames" set to in the NVCP?
- Do you have the "Shader Cache" enabled or disabled in NVCP?
- In NVCP under "Configure Surround, PhysX," what "Processor" are PhysX assigned to (I've found forcing to GPU helps reduce frametime spikes in certain games [specifically The Witcher 3 in my experience], though I doubt this applies to Fortnite)
- Have you applied any CPU or GPU overclocks, and have you ensured they are stable?
- Does your CPU run with adaptive voltage settings, or does it run at max clocks/voltage at all times?
- Have you unparked your CPU cores?
- Are you using the sound device on your motherboard or a standalone sound card? And have you checked to see if "Enable audio enhancements" is checked under the "Advanced" tab for the active sound device (I've found this to sometimes cause increased CPU usage when checked)?
- Have you checked your idle DPC latency levels?
- Are you using a pagefile, and if so, on which drive and what size? If it's set to automatic, do you find it keeps growing?
- Do the frametime spikes reduce in occurrence or length with all syncing methods off?
- Do you see spikes like this (not counting Apex) in more games than just Fornite?

I could keep going, but I think you get the gist; there are a lot of possible things that can affect frametime spikes, and many could be placebo depending on the setup and or game.

Sometimes, no matter what you try, it just ends up being the game itself (either a specific patch or netcode/server issues at any given point), especially if you aren't seeing this in the other games you play regularly.

P.S. Approximately, how long was the play session for that graph you linked?

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Sorgair

Re: Microstutters in Fortnite...

Post by Sorgair » 01 Mar 2019, 23:08

try doing like 140 fps or something, maybe fortnite fps limiter is buffered or something

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2019, 23:14

Here's your graph from the other thread:

I see very regular frametime spikes once every minute in that graph -- that's pretty weird. I'm not sure why it does that, and if it's a spike by Fortnite or another process.

Do you have a 2nd monitor that you can run Task Manager in (process list in in Details)? And see if it's Fortnite or a 3rd process spiking?

Try Jorim's suggestions at:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5045&p=39122#p39122
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Mar 2019, 23:32

@GFresha: merged your two topics.

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 02 Mar 2019, 01:13

Sorgair wrote:try doing like 140 fps or something, maybe fortnite fps limiter is buffered or something
Usually use RTTS and cap FPS to 141 should I use another FPS limiter?

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 02 Mar 2019, 01:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Here's your graph from the other thread:

I see very regular frametime spikes once every minute in that graph -- that's pretty weird. I'm not sure why it does that, and if it's a spike by Fortnite or another process.

Do you have a 2nd monitor that you can run Task Manager in (process list in in Details)? And see if it's Fortnite or a 3rd process spiking?

Try Jorim's suggestions at:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5045&p=39122#p39122
Yes he gave me a rlly nice list will give it a try and go down the list and see if I can get those spikes down to the 20 MS range. Usually 20 MS is not noticeable for me. I saw another post about the s-sync from RTTS but I have a gsync so I'm not sure if that would even be better or how to set it up to test, I read somewhere you can force the game to be in the 18 MS frametime range or smth like that.