Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: Frametime spikes in Fortnite...

Post by jorimt » 02 Mar 2019, 12:34

GFresha wrote:Going to try some of your settings and give it a go. I mean mostly its the same except I am using all low settings also does "processor power management" matter? From the power options in windows, I currently have it at 5% and max at 100% so that its not 24/7 overclocked. Also should I change my power plan to ultimate?/ high power? Currently set on balanced.
I mean, you could try the "High Performance" power plan, but the CPU typically goes to max clocks in-game with "Balanced" (what I have mine set to) anyway.

My 8700k isn't even overclocked currently (reaches 4.4 GHz auto turbo-boost in-game). My GPU is factory OCed.

Since I'm not seeing spikes on my system in this game like you are on yours (I just game, no browser windows open, no overlays, no multi-tasking, minimal active background processes), I'm guessing the difference between our performance is down to background processes/multi-tasking, perhaps?

Forgot to ask, you have Fortnite set to exclusive fullscreen, right, not borderless? Also are you a single or multi-monitor user? Hyper Threading enabled/disabled? (mine is enabled)

Beyond that, you could attempt to unpark your cores:
https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Anyway, as I've already mentioned, what you're seeing could be caused by a variety of factors, and it can be hard to pin down which one of those is causing it on your specific system configuration.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 02 Mar 2019, 13:18

jorimt wrote:
GFresha wrote:Going to try some of your settings and give it a go. I mean mostly its the same except I am using all low settings also does "processor power management" matter? From the power options in windows, I currently have it at 5% and max at 100% so that its not 24/7 overclocked. Also should I change my power plan to ultimate?/ high power? Currently set on balanced.
I mean, you could try the "High Performance" power plan, but the CPU typically goes to max clocks in-game with "Balanced" (what I have mine set to) anyway.

My 8700k isn't even overclocked currently (4.4 GHz auto turbo-boost in-game). My GPU is factory OCed.

Since I'm not seeing spikes on my system in this game like you are on yours (I just game, no browser windows open, no overlays, no multi-tasking, minimal active background processes), I'm guessing the difference between our performance is down to background processes/multi-tasking, perhaps?

Forgot to ask, you have Fortnite set to exclusive fullscreen, right, not borderless? Also are you a single or multi-monitor user? Hyper Threading enabled/disabled? (mine is enabled)

Beyond that, you could attempt to unpark your cores:
https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Anyway, as I've already mentioned, what you're seeing could be caused by a variety of factors, and it can be hard to pin down which one of those is causing it on your specific system configuration.
I have set as fullscreen and disabled fullscreen optimizations but the issue is fullscreen feels like borderless on that game, like when I alttab to my other monitor the game's window stays open on my main monitor. Unlike Apex, when I altab it actually removes the game window and but fortnite it stays up.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 02 Mar 2019, 13:46

Alt+tab does the same thing to me in Fornite, whether fullscreen optimizations are on or off for the exe.

- Have you tried fullscreen optimizations on?
- Are you using the RTSS FPS limiter or the in-game limiter (I assume the former, as you said it's set to 141)?
- Are you getting these 30ms+ spikes roughly every minute in every match you play, or just some? (I ask this, because frametime spikes can vary from session to session, even for me)
- What troubleshooting steps (in accordance with my original list) have you tried so far?

I hate to keep asking all these questions, but if you want a stranger on the internet to help you troubleshoot this without actual direct access to (or any familiarity) with your specific PC, there's not much else I can do but keep asking (until you probably tire of it :P).

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 02 Mar 2019, 14:24

@GFresha - I added my hardware to my signature incase you spot something we have in common.

Background wise I run afterburner 4.6.0 Beta 11/ logitech gaming software / malwarebytes.

ps.
Hmm perhaps it is a normal thing?
https://www.reddit.com/r/FortniteCompet ... s_anybody/

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 02 Mar 2019, 17:44

theangryregulator wrote:@GFresha - I added my hardware to my signature incase you spot something we have in common.

Background wise I run afterburner 4.6.0 Beta 11/ logitech gaming software / malwarebytes.

ps.
Hmm perhaps it is a normal thing?
Https://www.reddit.com/r/FortniteCompet ... s_anybody/
That's a sick thread, this further confirms that the issue is on Fortnite and not our computer's since why does Apex Legends produce beautiful frametime with 0 spikes? I guess my only question was how to lower the spikes so that we do not notice them, I for example can notice them really quick while my brother was sitting next to me but he did not notice any, I guess some people are more sensitive to microstutters/frametime spikes than others.

We have malwarebytes and the logitech software in common. Builds are completely different, let me disable these programs and see if I get lower spikes.

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 03 Mar 2019, 02:43

jorimt wrote:Alt+tab does the same thing to me in Fornite, whether fullscreen optimizations are on or off for the exe.

- Have you tried fullscreen optimizations on?
- Are you using the RTSS FPS limiter or the in-game limiter (I assume the former, as you said it's set to 141)?
- Are you getting these 30ms+ spikes roughly every minute in every match you play, or just some? (I ask this, because frametime spikes can vary from session to session, even for me)
- What troubleshooting steps (in accordance with my original list) have you tried so far?

I hate to keep asking all these questions, but if you want a stranger on the internet to help you troubleshoot this without actual direct access to (or any familiarity) with your specific PC, there's not much else I can do but keep asking (until you probably tire of it :P).
Yes RTSS. But I found out now that after overclocking my monitor to 165 hz and changing my resolution to its native res (since fortnite pro players usually use 4:3 res that's not their 16:9 native) and now my spikes are very similar to your. 25 MS being the max and I did not even notice any of them, no jinxing but I think I'm good now! I don't know if it was the 165 hz or changing my res to its native that lowered the spikes but I don't want test further since this is perfect now. I wonder if 240 hz is even better, hmmmmmmmmmmm

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 03 Mar 2019, 10:06

GFresha wrote:and changing my resolution to its native res (since fortnite pro players usually use 4:3 res that's not their 16:9 native).
See? That's what I'm talking about. I didn't have a clue you were forcing a non-native res. Not certain if that contributed to your issue, but like I said, variables (unknown and otherwise).
GFresha wrote:I wonder if 240 hz is even better, hmmmmmmmmmmm
A display's refresh rate will not change the frequency or severity of frametime spikes coming from the system, but with syncing methods active (where the display is at the mercy of the scanout, and must adhere to it, unlike V-SYNC OFF), a display with a faster scanout (a.k.a. higher refresh rate) can theoretically recover faster from frametime spikes than a display at lower refesh rates. Whether that is appreciable or not is another story.

And bringing up your other thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5052), assuming you own the IPS version of the XB271HU, I would suggest you keep it, and purchase a less expensive 144Hz TN G-SYNC (or even G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync: https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2402 ... B075D1B4SV) monitor separately to see if you can tolerate the increased inversion artifacts, lower contrast ratio, gamma shift (and depending on the panel's native bit rate, decreased color fidelity) issues TN introduces over IPS-type panels.

As for 240Hz TN, the first-gen panels are known for being spotty overdrive-wise when compared to the best of the 144Hz TN panels, so I would continue to read up below (and in other threads here and elsewhere) first to help you decide on that:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914&hilit=notty

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 03 Mar 2019, 12:05

jorimt wrote:
GFresha wrote:and changing my resolution to its native res (since fortnite pro players usually use 4:3 res that's not their 16:9 native).
See? That's what I'm talking about. I didn't have a clue you were forcing a non-native res. Not certain if that contributed to your issue, but like I said, variables (unknown and otherwise).
GFresha wrote:I wonder if 240 hz is even better, hmmmmmmmmmmm
A display's refresh rate will not change the frequency or severity of frametime spikes coming from the system, but with syncing methods active (where the display is at the mercy of the scanout, and must adhere to it, unlike V-SYNC OFF), a display with a faster scanout (a.k.a. higher refresh rate) can theoretically recover faster from frametime spikes than a display at lower refesh rates. Whether that is appreciable or not is another story.

And bringing up your other thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5052), assuming you own the IPS version of the XB271HU, I would suggest you keep it, and purchase a less expensive 144Hz TN G-SYNC (or even G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync: https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2402 ... B075D1B4SV) monitor separately to see if you can tolerate the increased inversion artifacts, lower contrast ratio, gamma shift (and depending on the panel's native bit rate, decreased color fidelity) issues TN introduces over IPS-type panels.

As for 240Hz TN, the first-gen panels are known for being spotty overdrive-wise when compared to the best of the 144Hz TN panels, so I would continue to read up below (and in other threads here and elsewhere) first to help you decide on that:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914&hilit=notty
Yea after getting smooth gameplay I think I am just going after a 1080 ti and enjoy this 144hz monitor, but I definitely want to give AW2518H a try and see if I like it more, I am usually very senstitive to jitters and microstutters so will see if I notice some better improvement and maybe just maybe even shorter frametimes.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 03 Mar 2019, 15:50

GFresha wrote: Yea after getting smooth gameplay I think I am just going after a 1080 ti and enjoy this 144hz monitor, but I definitely want to give AW2518H a try and see if I like it more, I am usually very senstitive to jitters and microstutters so will see if I notice some better improvement and maybe just maybe even shorter frametimes.
What are your current specs by the way?

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 03 Mar 2019, 15:57

GFresha wrote:Yes RTSS. But I found out now that after overclocking my monitor to 165 hz and changing my resolution to its native res (since fortnite pro players usually use 4:3 res that's not their 16:9 native) and now my spikes are very similar to your. 25 MS being the max and I did not even notice any of them, no jinxing but I think I'm good now! I don't know if it was the 165 hz or changing my res to its native that lowered the spikes but I don't want test further since this is perfect now. I wonder if 240 hz is even better, hmmmmmmmmmmm
By increasing the resolution and framecap it sounds like you're increasing the gpu usage more than anything. My gpu sits at low clocks on all low settings (apart from view distance on epic) on fortnite with a cap of 138.