The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Black Octagon

Re: The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Post by Black Octagon » 07 Jan 2014, 11:28

My main problem with the USD200 price tag is that it is already on top of a premium that traditionally comes with choosing an NV card over the AMD equivalent (the cryptocoin mining craze notwithstanding).

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 12:01

I am pretty sure that the premium will fall over the next 12 months. So does GPU costs.

It is worth more than $200 worth of motion quality upgrade as G-SYNC successfully makes stutter-free 45fps look visually better than stuttery 75fps.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheExodu5

Post by TheExodu5 » 07 Jan 2014, 13:09

I'd assume the premiums should fall harshly once the design is finalized and the FPGA solution is replaced with an ASIC.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jan 2014, 22:20

TheExodu5 wrote:I'd assume the premiums should fall harshly once the design is finalized and the FPGA solution is replaced with an ASIC.
Agreed. I believe that VRR technologies (GSYNC, FreeSync) will probably become widespread in gaming monitors within 3 years.

For the next few years, it will be a slow fall from a $150-200 premium, due to economics / market demand, and the long time it takes for ASICs to be designed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!