The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
JakeNQuake

The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Post by JakeNQuake » 20 Dec 2013, 18:18

I know some retailers are selling pre-modded VG248QEs, but I already have this LCD, so I want the module itself. Anyone know when/where/how much the standalone board will be? Will it be on Amazon? Will it actually be $100?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2013, 19:14

They've updated their webpage today, to mention sometime in January, according to NVIDIA:
NVIDIA wrote:(Update December 20, 2013: We are excited to confirm that the NVIDIA G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself Kits will be available for purchase in early January. Further details will be announced shortly.)
Taken from NVIDIA's G-SYNC page.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

crun

Post by crun » 24 Dec 2013, 05:58

Is it coming for the Asus VG278HE?

If not, when can we expect a pre-installed G-Sync with a 27" monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2013, 12:37

crun wrote:Is it coming for the Asus VG278HE?

If not, when can we expect a pre-installed G-Sync with a 27" monitor?
I'm told later in 2014.
No models currently announced yet, though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

crun

Post by crun » 24 Dec 2013, 16:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:]I'm told later in 2014.
You mean G-Sync DIY board, compatible with VG278HE, is coming later this year, yes? :)

Also, what can we expect from new models? Dedicated strobe (like in FG2421 - no washed our colors, correct?) instead of lightboost?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2013, 16:12

crun wrote:You mean G-Sync DIY board, compatible with VG278HE, is coming later this year, yes? :)
Not that specifically. Alas, I'm currently only aware that some form of 27" GSYNC would come later in 2014.
Unfortunately, not even I know whether it will be available as a GSYNC upgrade board.
Also, what can we expect from new models? Dedicated strobe (like in FG2421 - no washed our colors, correct?) instead of lightboost?
Currently, NVIDIA has requested that sites do not talk further (than what has already been leaked already -- seen in posts quoted here) about strobing plans, until they make an announcement.

I can however say because of my existing experience playing with strobe backlight hacking in the last year -- it's a difficult engineering issue because of the brightness-versus-clarity tradeoff (shorter strobes has clearer motion), as well as the contrast-versus-ghosting tradeoff (higher contrast ratios often create more overdrive and ghosting artifacts). Some people's opinion of better image quality is a brighter picture, and a different person's opinion of a better picture is a better contrast ratio (blacker blacks).

crun

Post by crun » 24 Dec 2013, 16:44

Hmmm... then maybe I will simply stick to my R9 290 (was trying to sell it at premium because it unlocked, would have nearly enough money for GTX 780), buy the VG278HE and delay my G-Sync probably for a year or two.
I suppose you can't really say if XL2720Z is worth waiting for? :P

Do you have any idea if ToastyX works with the R9 290 series?

Thank you for your quality posts. Always a pleasure to read (whether here, on OCN, H or 120hz.net)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2013, 17:05

crun wrote:I suppose you can't really say if XL2720Z is worth waiting for? :P
I have no specific request from BENQ telling me I can't say.
The Blur Reduction on the XL2720Z is quite a lot easier to turn ON/OFF than LightBoost, and works at any refresh rate (75Hz through 144Hz). You just press the button on the included BENQ controller to enable/disable the strobing, no hacks. Works in dependently of what's connected (anything that outputs at 75Hz-144Hz works -- whether Radeon, GeForce, Intel, etc). No special drivers, no software, no ToastyX needed -- it's a hardware button.

That said, I'm keeping a lot of the good stuff for the XL2720Z review, after I install the XL2720Z firmware upgrade -- since I want to properly review the display (It's currently enroute to me).
crun wrote:Do you have any idea if ToastyX works with the R9 290 series?
Yes, it does.
crun wrote:Thank you for your quality posts. Always a pleasure to read (whether here, on OCN, H or 120hz.net)
You're welcome! And thanks for the compliment.

crun

Post by crun » 25 Dec 2013, 07:05

Thank you for your answer. I am perfectly fine with manually changing refresh rate etc via software though :)

I am going kind of offtopic, but could you say how VG278HE display compares to VG248QE, XL2720Z or XL2720T? I mean colors with and without lightboost, motion artifacts, BLB etc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2013, 15:58

crun wrote:I am going kind of offtopic, but could you say how VG278HE display compares to VG248QE, XL2720Z or XL2720T? I mean colors with and without lightboost, motion artifacts, BLB etc.
It is quite similiar in many ways to the XL2720T series in strobe mode, in terms of brightness and checkerboard artifact. BLB and colors are very similar. It's almost the same 27" panel, if not the same. What's different with XL2720Z is that the strobing is much easier to enable, colors are fully adjustable via OSD, and it doesn't have the gamma bleaching effect that LightBoost has. It will still be darker, just like turning on strobe mode on almost any monitor.

The VG278HE and the XL2720T has better color in strobing mode than the VG248QE.