The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
bakageta

Re: The standalone DIY G-Sync board available?

Post by bakageta » 01 Jan 2014, 22:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Currently, NVIDIA has requested that sites do not talk further (than what has already been leaked already -- seen in posts quoted here) about strobing plans, until they make an announcement.
Does that mean those of us lucky enough to get our kits can chime in here? :P Their lightboost alternative is labeled ULMB (short for ultra low motion blur I assume), and it seemed to have a noticeably less washed out picture than the lightboost hack on my same monitor before the DIY kit was installed. It gets a dedicated button on the front panel, and as long as you're running a supported refresh rate (no 144, booo) and don't have g-sync enabled, tapping the button will turn it on or off anywhere.

Personally, I'm most curious about the header for an HDMI port shown on both the DIY kits and the preview models. The actual connector isn't there, but it's the proper layout and location for an HDMI. I'm also curious if that's a jtag connector in the middle of the board, and what I might end up with if I poke around at it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 16:41

bakageta wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Does that mean those of us lucky enough to get our kits can chime in here? :P
We WELCOME you to do so!

Although they told the websites to wait (including me, pcper, AnandTech, etc) --
They haven't told you to avoid publicly talking about it.

So PLEASE post a thread about it. :D
Do tell all!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bakageta

Post by bakageta » 02 Jan 2014, 17:00

I threw a quick reply up to the blog post, and of course my initial thoughts are linked on OCN, but I'll write up something a bit more in depth as I play with it more. The lightboost hack made a solid monitor amazing for blur reduction, and ULMB is a noticeable step beyond that, but I've just been tied up toying with G-SYNC and it's kind of fallen to the back burner.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 17:14

bakageta wrote:I threw a quick reply up to the blog post, and of course my initial thoughts are linked on OCN, but I'll write up something a bit more in depth as I play with it more. The lightboost hack made a solid monitor amazing for blur reduction, and ULMB is a noticeable step beyond that, but I've just been tied up toying with G-SYNC and it's kind of fallen to the back burner.
You are welcome to talk about either G-SYNC or ULMB, or both.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bakageta

Post by bakageta » 05 Jan 2014, 22:31

Well, first I'm going to talk about nvidia...:P I know this is a PR move, if you can't get something out to everyone, the next best thing is to get it out there to random users - no matter what some people are skeptical of review sites but getting 25-50 random users hyped up is good PR. With that said, I'm hyped up, and our kit isn't even on my pc, so I don't get to use it half as much as I'd like to.

We're the guinea pigs here, and I'm thrilled - I love having access to hardware like this. Nvidia has really been on the ball for us too - they overnighted the kit itself free-of-charge, and I've come across info stating that the G-sync does support MCCS to take the place of color adjustments on the OSD. I'll be tracking down various utilities and playing with that shortly.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2014, 00:41

Try Entech Taiwan's SoftMCCS.

It works, I'm able to do more adjustments via DDC/CI.

I just created a HOWTO:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/howto-adjust-colors/

gzboli

Post by gzboli » 07 Jan 2014, 00:51

nvidia has named a price and timeframe for the DIY board:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/01/06 ... g-nirvana/

This week! :D

... $200 :roll:

Would have jumped on it at $125 or less but $200 is enough to make me consider waiting for Q2 and putting the money toward a new screen.

Haste

Post by Haste » 07 Jan 2014, 03:50

• ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 2560×1440 27-inch
  • BenQ XL2720G 1920×1080 27-inch
  • BenQ XL2420G 1920×1080 24-inch
  • Philips 272G5DYEB 1920×1080 27-inch
  • ViewSonic VX2457GML 1920×1080 24-inch
It's probably worth waiting a bit.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 07 Jan 2014, 04:03

Haste wrote:
  • ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 2560×1440 27-inch
  • BenQ XL2720G 1920×1080 27-inch
  • BenQ XL2420G 1920×1080 24-inch
  • Philips 272G5DYEB 1920×1080 27-inch
  • ViewSonic VX2457GML 1920×1080 24-inch
It's probably worth waiting a bit.
According to the site those monitors should be available in the next month to two months. I can't wait that long :P
The gsync kits will be available by the end of the week.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 07 Jan 2014, 05:52

Haste wrote: BenQ XL2720G 1920×1080 27-inch
BenQ XL2420G 1920×1080 24-inch
I wonder if they'll have the ULMB button, the BenQ motion blur reduction, or both. I'm still waiting to know how long is the strobe length in both modes.

The new ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q sounds very interesting. If it has a IPS panel, I'll buy it without any doubt. It would be a step forward in every way compared to my current monitor: resolution, panel technology, motion clarity, size and G-Sync.
If it's TN, I'd probably buy a 1080p G-Sync monitor for half the price.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR