Hitting more shots with gsync off + nvidia vsync off?!!!

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
GFresha

Re: Hitting more shots with gsync off + nvidia vsync off?!!!

Post by GFresha » 28 Mar 2019, 16:42

jorimt wrote:
GFresha wrote:Also I am kinda confused on gsync on + vsync on vs gsync on + vsync off

Assuming a 141 cap is on for both

1) Does it cause more input lag for 1 method vs the other?
Technically? No: the first can't tear, while the second can, that's virtually the only difference. I answer this in more detail here (second FAQ entry):
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/15/
Thank you for that FAQ just gave it a read

I see why enabling vsync is recommended now. My next question to you is in the past for competetive games like fortnite,apex,cs and even graphics games with my XB271HU I had gsync on, vsync off in game, vsync on in panel, RTTS 141 cap and I was getting pounded by input lag.

Whats the best set up for competitive if someone wants to run gsync?

Gsync on, vsync off in both, and in game cap to 141 instead of RTTS? (Sorry if this was mentioned in the 101 article :()

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Mar 2019, 18:05

^ Depends on how prone the game is to frametime spikes.

1. G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" + 141 FPS limit @144Hz = stutter + full tear during frametime spikes.
2. G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On + 141 FPS limit @144Hz = sometimes slight elongation of same stutter (as it has to adhere to the scanout to 100% avoid tearing) during frametime spikes.

In something like Overwatch, where frametime spikes are relatively sparse on a high-end PC, #2 is usually fine. However, with something like Fortnite, where frametime spikes tend to be more frequent/lasting, you may prefer #1 to keep frametime spike duration at an absolute minimum (with a full tear in each instance being the trade-off over #2).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

frunction

Post by frunction » 08 Apr 2019, 11:30

If you're a "competitive" player, why are you using a 4ms 1440p IPS monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2019, 12:43

GFresha wrote:Assuming a 141 cap is on for both
The GSYNC 101 series was written with CS:GO as a primary test case.

However, Fortnite is a totally different animal that's more framespikey and can benefit from a larger fps differential or even GSYNC+VSYNC OFF (and simply tolerating the tearing). It may eventually be time to do an analysis with Fortnite, being one of the world's most popular FPS games and being very huge all the way from casual fun play through professional esports nowadays.
frunction wrote:If you're a "competitive" player, why are you using a 4ms 1440p IPS monitor?
Right, but -- is this a "casual competitive" or "professional competitive"?

Let's consider that many competitive players (especially console) are still using even slower 60Hz VA LCDs. 4ms IPS is quite fine for casual competitive especially if it has subframe latency (realtime sync between cable scanout to panel scanout)

A 4ms IPS 165Hz can outperform a 1ms TN 60Hz, because the sheer scanout latency reductions can outweigh the GtG latency. There's many different lag metrics other than absolute latency that interacts with each other.

That said, anything truly professional -- esports/paid/sponsored -- should try to beeline directly to 1ms 144Hz/240Hz if one can afford it.

A good fine 4ms IPS panel -- with sub-refresh absolute lag -- can be quite bliss, if you need your monitor for a lot of things including paying the bills (aka work).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!