EDIT(FIXED)G Sync Dropping Alienware 240hz to 0-40fps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
AlexWhelan

EDIT(FIXED)G Sync Dropping Alienware 240hz to 0-40fps

Post by AlexWhelan » 07 Apr 2019, 11:50

Hi, Recently bought a alienware 2518H 240hz g sync monitor, worked perfectly for the first three days.
After three days it turned black mid game and i had to restart my pc, after restarting my pc opened in 1024x768 instead of native 1920x1080. After that it seems like g sync broke for some reason as when opening programs/games it has massive fps drops to 0-30/40ish fps even on desktop. After this happened playing Fortnite end games competitively was close to impossible as it stuttered and lagged like i hadn't felt before.
I Presumed this was a driver problem so i updated my nvidia drivers to the latest 419.67 driver and the alienware monitor drivers, factory reset the screen.
But the problem was still there.
After that i used ddu to rollback to Nvidia driver 419.35 and after that to 417.35 ( the original driver i was on when it worked smoothly the first few days)
I also noticed that when these fps drops occur my screen starts flickering/flashing.
Since i really cant figure out the problem and Nvidia support couldn't either i thought i'd give it a try on here.
Any help would be appreciated
Some examples:
Opening game with G sync on:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/udsaguwr8ylgo ... 4.mp4?dl=0
Opening game with G sync off: ( i know its on fixed refresh rate now but you can see the difference when g sync drops to 30fps the mouse also starts stuttering. )
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwaqp29lss00p ... 5.mp4?dl=0
G sync on desktop fps drops + flickering
https://www.dropbox.com/s/62df0myy72yw1 ... 3.mp4?dl=0
G sync on desktop fps drops + flickering 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2efis80rwzh7o ... 9.mp4?dl=0
Framerate counter on the top left is from the screen itself.

System specs:
Cpu:i7 6700k Oc to 4.5ghz
Gpu:Msi gtx 980ti gaming 6g v1
Mobo:Asus maximus Ranger viii
Ram:Hyperx Fury 2400Mhz 16gb 4x4gb sticks ( running on 1066mhz unrecognized(dual-channel unknown*)cause for some reason xmp won't let me boot ever. )
SSD:Crucial Bx 200 (OS) + Samsung 860 evo 1tb (games etc)
Cooler: corsair h100i
4 ll120 corsair chassis fans
psu:Aerocool 750m ( replacing soon.)

ps sorry for the bad english i'm not a native speaker.
Last edited by AlexWhelan on 09 Apr 2019, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G Sync Dropping Alienware 240hz framerate to 0-40fps

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2019, 12:47

That is a strange problem.

Are you able to temporarily try a different GPU? A different DisplayPort cable?

Also, a monitor RMA may be worthwhile as I've seen fixes to this sort of problem happen in a monitor exchange. However, first, try a 2nd system temporarily if you can gain access to one (even a laptop, or bring computer to test at a computer store).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AlexWhelan

Re: G Sync Dropping Alienware 240hz framerate to 0-40fps

Post by AlexWhelan » 07 Apr 2019, 13:57

@ chief blurbusters (sorry no idea how to properly link hahah)
Tried several displayport cables and the different slots on my gpu, no difference for all the three ports on the gpu but for one time; restarted pc connected to a different displayport port on the gpu whereafter it started up with only 60hz selection possible in the nvcp. after switching to a different port and back it gave me the posibility to select up to 240hz like it should.

even updated my gpu's vbios and dp firmware on the gpu but both didn't make a difference.

I'm Rma'ing it i think.

Sadly have no second Gpu or laptop that has a displayport connection. only hdmi.

So the question still is, is it my gpu or the panel...

AlexWhelan

Re: EDIT(FIXED)G Sync Dropping Alienware 240hz to 0-40fps

Post by AlexWhelan » 09 Apr 2019, 07:10

Just got my replacement panel and it works perfectly, no stutters fps drops or any issues. Somehow either the displayport connection or the g sync chip in the old panel was broken. if anybody gets the same issues i'd recommend a RMA.