Is there benefits to turning G-SYNC off?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
FubarAce

Is there benefits to turning G-SYNC off?

Post by FubarAce » 22 May 2019, 12:10

Hello. new member here :)

Ive tried to find some info on this topic but i just cant find an answer, so maybe i can get some clarity here.
If i have G-SYNC enabled it will change the refresh rate of the monitor depending on the fps im getting, and as far as i understand it, at 144hz pixel response time should be at or faster then 6.9ms and at 60 fps 16ish ms or faster.
If then G-SYNC is syncing my monitor to 60hz is it then running a 16ms response time? Or is it still running the fastest response time possible? And if it is only running at 16ms at 60fps sync one could say that motion clarity/blur would be better if i have a 144hz fixed refresh rate when it drops to 60fps. (if the pixel response time stays at the fastest possible ms) Or does it not help motion clarity at all, having faster pixel response time then is needed for current refresh rate?

Am i wrong here? Or is this how it works.

Regards

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is there benefits to turning G-SYNC off?

Post by RealNC » 22 May 2019, 20:07

Pixel response time is going to vary. The variable overdrive algorithm of g-sync tries to change the response time in such a way that prevents ghosting.

It doesn't matter though if response time varies. This is totally hidden by the frame time variance. When you drop from 140FPS to 60FPS, the blur is going to increase a lot, but this is not due to pixel response. It's due to the frame time increase. So disabling g-sync is not going to give you any benefits. Using 144Hz g-sync for 60FPS games is actually better than using non-gsync 60Hz, because with g-sync you still get the benefit of 144Hz frame delivery times, and thus you get lower input lag.

Note: variable overdrive is only supported by native g-sync monitors. Freesync monitors that are "g-sync compatible" do not support variable overdrive. Response time is fixed in this case, which can result in more ghosting in g-sync mode. (I don't know if there's any freesync monitor out there that does variable overdrive.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is there benefits to turning G-SYNC off?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2019, 10:55

To be clear, this thread discusses GtG response time.

GtG pixel response time stays the same (with realtime changes to the overdrive to prevent ghosting/coronas)

MPRT response time does indeed go up/down with frametime. That's why doubling frame rate will halve motion blur. This is unavoidable, you will always get more MPRT blurring at lower frame rates on a non-strobed display.

There are two totally different pixel response benchmarks.
For those unaware, see GtG versus MPRT: Frequently Asked Questions About Pixel Response.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!