My GSync monitor flickers | Need help with GSync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
yungracks

My GSync monitor flickers | Need help with GSync

Post by yungracks » 29 May 2019, 10:38

Hey,

I bought this gsync monitor a few weeks ago & i still stutter below my refreshrate.
Also it flickers in every game's loading screen & sometimes ingame.

I got the Acer Predator XB241h & these are my nvidia settings:
https://prntscr.com/nuzos0
https://prntscr.com/nuzp1x
https://prntscr.com/nuzp4u

I cap my FPS -3 ingame aswell.
I got the G-Sync indicator on & it says GSync on, even when i cap my FPS on 180 as example or uncapped.

Is it bad that my screen is flickering in loading screens? & what could I do to actually have no stutters, because this is very annoying.
Im running: 1080 ti, i7 7700k, 16gb ram, asus 270f

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: My GSync monitor flickers | Need help with GSync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2019, 15:55

yungracks wrote:I bought this gsync monitor a few weeks ago & i still stutter below my refreshrate.
Are you talking about erratic stutter or regular stutter?
GSYNC cannot fix regular stutter (low framerates such as 30fps will still look stuttery) but can really smooth erratic stutters, where 110fps-130fps fluctuating framerates look like a perfect 120fps, and such.

Can you identify what the stuttering looks like currently? Microstutter, random disk-freeze stutters, erratic stutter, etc. GSYNC fixes the visibility of most stutters but not all of them. That said, we should make sure that fixable stutters are indeed fixed by GSYNC. Before I can do so, I need to make sure what kind of stutters you're seeing.

Not Fixable by GSYNC
- Diskload stutters. (e.g. half-second freezes). Get an SSD to minimize this.
- Low framerate regular stutter. (e.g. stutter of 30 frames per second). Get more powerful GPU to get framerates higher.
- Game bugs that insert stutters not fixable by GYNX

Fixable by GSYNC
- Tearing
- Many forms of microstutter
- Framerate-change erratic stutters (the erratic stutter of a fluctuating framerate)
- Single-framedrop stutters (59fps@60Hz problems = disappear)

For example, a high-framerate erratic microstutter (e.g. 10 tiny vibrations per second) is fixable. GSYNC can erase the seams between adjacent framerates, so the change of 58fps -> 59fps -> 60fps -> 61fps -> 62fps .... is rendered completely invisible. Even random framerates (that are within a 10% framerate span) are visually seamless. There's no more framedrop-style stutters with GSYNC.

However, GSYNC will not fix those 100fps -> 0fps -> 100fps "game minifreeze" stutters. Nor GSYNC will fix those chop-chop-chop-chop regular (non-erratic) stutters of ultralow framerates like 10fps, 15fps, 20fps, 30fps, 35fps -- even if its within the bottom of the VRR range (or low frame rate compensation region). Yes, GSYNC will fix the erratic stutter (a framedrop style "jump") of 35fps->34fps->35fps but not the regular stutter of the respective framerates (either 35fps or 34fps looks choppy even if the framepacing is perfectly exact).
yungracks wrote:Is it bad that my screen is flickering in loading screens
Flickers can occur if there's major framerate fluctuation, which means a monitor can jump all the way from 240Hz all the way down to 30Hz, and then back up. This is challenging for a 30Hz image to always perfectly match a 240Hz image (e.g. pixel response curves, overdrive, color calibration, LCD inversion, etc), so the wild framerate fluctuation cause some visible image changes that means the refresh rate switching has a noticeable subtle flicker. Not a 2-second mode change flicker but a very faint flicker.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 29 May 2019, 16:30

I get good FPS, doesnt go below 90 i notice it at 120 fps already.
My system is strong, i dont freeze it is like microstuttery and i feel input lagg too, i DONT freeze.
It just gets very unsmooth

So the flickers are fine?
Also, could it be my cable by any chance? I got no clue.

ImBlueDabiDa

Post by ImBlueDabiDa » 30 May 2019, 23:31

yungracks

i have the same problem like you i think its fine in loading screen that it flickers ( same happens to me )

also the little fps drops stutter happens to me too

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 31 May 2019, 06:58

Im still looking for a solution

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 31 May 2019, 08:07

If your G-SYNC display is a TN panel, and you're seeing flicker at very low refresh/framerates on loading screens and sometimes in-game, this is normal, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it with G-SYNC enabled; it's a physical limitation of the panel.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)