G-SYNC and mouse cursor

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
zerocool

G-SYNC and mouse cursor

Post by zerocool » 15 Jun 2019, 01:39

Hello, I have a question I was hoping Chief Blur Buster might be able to answer or anyone else that is knowledgeable about G-SYNC in depth for that matter.

My biggest complaint when using G-SYNC is that mouse cursor movement is tied to your current FPS at any given moment.

Do you think or know if its possible now or in the future to have mouse cursor movement run at the max refresh rate capability of your monitor like when G-SYNC/vsync are disabled, while using G-SYNC?

Thank you

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC and mouse cursor

Post by RealNC » 15 Jun 2019, 04:06

No. The screen will update the image at the same rate as the game is generating new frames. This will always be this way, until the day where the refresh rate of screens becomes so high, VRR is not needed anymore. A 1000Hz screen for example does not need VRR. Any FPS will look smooth on it, because 1 millisecond vsync judder/stutter (worst-case, the average is 0.5ms at 1000Hz) is not visible anymore. And there's virtually no vsync lag at 1000Hz, because you're not gonna hit 1000FPS. Playing at, say 200FPS on a 1000Hz screen would have pretty much the same input lag as vsync OFF. And even if you play a 1000FPS game, you could always frame limit it to 990FPS or whatever.

Whether or not 1000Hz displays will become a reality is another matter though :mrgreen: For now, the mouse cursor is bound by the current VRR scanout interval, and there's no way around it, unless the developers of the game take this into account. A 60FPS game, for example, could be programmed to output the same frame twice, so that the mouse cursor moves at 120FPS. But I don't know of any game that supports this. I don't think any developer thought of this either. I wonder if this would be possible to do externally by injection-based frame limiters like RTSS, or tools like ReShade... Probably not, since I don't think you can recursively present a frame while frame-limiting inside the current present call.

Somebody ping Durante :)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 15 Jun 2019, 05:59

If I recall correctly some game like Civilization use OS/hardware mouse pointer and it updates like refresh rate. Is that your case?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Jun 2019, 06:03

Q83Ia7ta wrote:If I recall correctly some game like Civilization use OS/hardware mouse pointer and it updates like refresh rate. Is that your case?
The refresh rate is the same as the FPS when using G-Sync. So if the game runs at, say, 40FPS, the screen is updating at 40Hz, and the mouse cursor along with it.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 15 Jun 2019, 07:34

RealNC wrote:
Q83Ia7ta wrote:If I recall correctly some game like Civilization use OS/hardware mouse pointer and it updates like refresh rate. Is that your case?
The refresh rate is the same as the FPS when using G-Sync. So if the game runs at, say, 40FPS, the screen is updating at 40Hz, and the mouse cursor along with it.
This is quite disgusting for such types of games. I guess op need to try disable g-sync and try to v-sync on/off to get a smooth cursor.

zerocool

Post by zerocool » 15 Jun 2019, 08:29

Yeah, its the example like RealNC said. Mouse cursor gets choppy at 60hz/fps GSYNC or anywhere around that compared to 144hz gsync/vsync off. Didn't know if there was a way to make the mouse operate at 144hz(or whatever your max monitor hz is) always.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Jun 2019, 08:43

zerocool wrote: Didn't know if there was a way to make the mouse operate at 144hz(or whatever your max monitor hz is) always.
I just explained a couple posts above why that is not possible...

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Jun 2019, 11:31

RealNC wrote:
Whether or not 1000Hz displays will become a reality is another matter though :mrgreen:
may have time to appear. But as soon as the technology appears even more energy efficient and cheaper to manufacture.Marketing will do the trick.If you can take the monitor with you, take shelter from the rain, use it as a picnic rug. And for only $ 30. And for an additional $ 5 feature "blowjob". The union of prostitutes will sue the companies and demand a% of sales from monitors, since they potent a “blowjob” as early as 7,000,000 years ago during the time of the Australopithecus. And the fact that these monitors will be 60 hertz and 12ms gtg few people will pay attention to it. My crt sony of 2002 160 hertz understands me. But on the approach of such technologies there is no 1000 hertz is not so far away.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 15 Jun 2019, 14:40

RealNC wrote:
zerocool wrote: Didn't know if there was a way to make the mouse operate at 144hz(or whatever your max monitor hz is) always.
I just explained a couple posts above why that is not possible...
You are just wrong. Try some modern 3d RTS or Civilization. You can set ultra/high settings and get 10-60fps and your mouse/pointer will be smooth.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Jun 2019, 15:44

^ With a fixed refresh rate (both standalone V-SYNC or V-SYNC OFF), yes, that would work, as the refresh rate remains at monitor's set maximum at all times (regardless and separate of framerate), but with a variable refresh rate (G-SYNC/FreeSync), it would not, as the refresh rate (scanout repetitions per second, in this case) is physically changed with the framerate.

With VRR, if the framerate is 40, for instance, the scanout is repeating 40 times per second (at least until you get to minimum refresh/LFC, where frame doubling occurs; the starting point of which varies per VRR method and/or panel tolerance).

There is no way around this other than disabling VRR, as the mouse cursor is being rendered on the same screen that is physically refreshing at a lower rate due to VRR operation.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)