G-SYNC and mouse cursor

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TTT

Re: G-SYNC and mouse cursor

Post by TTT » 16 Jul 2019, 10:25

I have a 240hz gsync and I bought it when I had just bought my first gaming PC, not really sure about anything.

I lock my FPS to 100 on shooters and I just use it max refresh and all syncs off, playing online at that refresh on competitive shooters it still adds too much latency when other people are twitching about all over the place, locking to 100fps at 240hz as well I don't notice any tearing at all and barely notice a difference with turning gsync on, apart from the input lag.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2019, 17:19

That's an unusually low cap, albiet it has pros.

(A) G-SYNC 240Hz + using 100fps cap = creates a defacto Quick Frame Transport mode (one that is much easier than RTSS Scanline Sync), basically a 100Hz mode with a 1/240sec panel scanout velocity.

(B) Capping to a lower frame rate can fix lag consistency (e.g. higher-but-consistent lag, rather than low-but-varying lag), which can help improve aiming. 100fps@240Hz is lower lag than 100fps@144Hz, because of lower scan-out latency (high speed video), so even your 240Hz is helping you there.

So, no wonder you are feeling better lag in certain games. The benefits exist, though you're trading poisons (trading average-lag for less-lag-volatility).

But, ideally, you will want to use a higher cap (237fps etc) for your higher frame rate games like CS:GO. The framerate range of CS:GO will usually stay almost always above your refresh rate, so it should be okay to go that high.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TTT

Post by TTT » 18 Jul 2019, 15:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:That's an unusually low cap, albiet it has pros.

(A) G-SYNC 240Hz + using 100fps cap = creates a defacto Quick Frame Transport mode (one that is much easier than RTSS Scanline Sync), basically a 100Hz mode with a 1/240sec panel scanout velocity.

(B) Capping to a lower frame rate can fix lag consistency (e.g. higher-but-consistent lag, rather than low-but-varying lag), which can help improve aiming. 100fps@240Hz is lower lag than 100fps@144Hz, because of lower scan-out latency (high speed video), so even your 240Hz is helping you there.

So, no wonder you are feeling better lag in certain games. The benefits exist, though you're trading poisons (trading average-lag for less-lag-volatility).

But, ideally, you will want to use a higher cap (237fps etc) for your higher frame rate games like CS:GO. The framerate range of CS:GO will usually stay almost always above your refresh rate, so it should be okay to go that high.
Yea I sometimes cap a bit higher, its just that I don't want the system to run max so I lock it at the most consistent fps for the game. (Thats for FPS games anyway)

By 1/240hz panel scanout do you mean even with gsync at a lower framerate the panel is still scanning out at max 240hz?

From the previous posts here I thought they are saying it scans out at the current framerate with Gsync activated and not the max screen scanout.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jul 2019, 20:15

TTT wrote:By 1/240hz panel scanout do you mean even with gsync at a lower framerate the panel is still scanning out at max 240hz?
Correct, for a 240Hz GSYNC/FreeSync monitor, all framerates are scanning-out in 1/240sec.

Also it's not necessary to use RTSS capping with an emulator. Emulators are self capping (60fps) and so those 60fps frames will scan-out in 1/240sec.
TTT wrote:From the previous posts here I thought they are saying it scans out at the current framerate with Gsync activated and not the max screen scanout.
Incorrect.

Please post a link to those posts and I will fix those posts. Remember not to confuse fixed-Hz posts with GSYNC posts. (e.g. 0.01fps cap differential for low-lag VSYNC versus 3fps cap differential for GSYNC). It's very easy to accidentally get confused. However, if you see a post you got confused by, I'd like you to post a link so I can explain better.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TTT

Post by TTT » 19 Jul 2019, 08:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
TTT wrote:By 1/240hz panel scanout do you mean even with gsync at a lower framerate the panel is still scanning out at max 240hz?
Correct, for a 240Hz GSYNC/FreeSync monitor, all framerates are scanning-out in 1/240sec.

Also it's not necessary to use RTSS capping with an emulator. Emulators are self capping (60fps) and so those 60fps frames will scan-out in 1/240sec.
TTT wrote:From the previous posts here I thought they are saying it scans out at the current framerate with Gsync activated and not the max screen scanout.
Incorrect.

Please post a link to those posts and I will fix those posts. Remember not to confuse fixed-Hz posts with GSYNC posts. (e.g. 0.01fps cap differential for low-lag VSYNC versus 3fps cap differential for GSYNC). It's very easy to accidentally get confused. However, if you see a post you got confused by, I'd like you to post a link so I can explain better.
Its the first few replies to this topic, sorry I don't know how to quote properly.

RealNC and Jorimt are both saying when Gsync is active the scanout is the same hz as the current fps. That is the way I am interpreting it anyway, I may just be misunderstanding them.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2019, 09:57

TTT wrote:RealNC and Jorimt are both saying when Gsync is active the scanout is the same hz as the current fps. That is the way I am interpreting it anyway, I may just be misunderstanding them.
The refresh rate is the same as the game's FPS. The scanout speed is fixed to be the same as what it would be at144Hz (or whatever mode the monitor is currently in.) The refresh rate is how many frames are scanned out each second. The scanout speed is how fast each individual frame needs to become fully visible on the display. The display starts "painting" each frame from top to bottom. At normal 60Hz, it needs 16.7ms to paint the whole frame and reach the bottom. With g-sync, it only needs 6.9ms, which is something that normally only happens at 144Hz when not using g-sync.

Example at 60FPS@144Hz: the refresh rate becomes 60Hz, meaning one frame is shown every 1/60th of a second (= every 16.7ms). However, each such frame does not take 16.7ms to scan out (to "paint".) It only takes 6.9ms (more than twice as fast.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Post by TTT » 19 Jul 2019, 10:03

RealNC wrote:
TTT wrote:RealNC and Jorimt are both saying when Gsync is active the scanout is the same hz as the current fps. That is the way I am interpreting it anyway, I may just be misunderstanding them.
The refresh rate is the same as the game's FPS. The scanout speed is fixed to be the same as what it would be at144Hz (or whatever mode the monitor is currently in.) The refresh rate is how many frames are scanned out each second. The scanout speed is how fast each individual frame needs to become fully visible on the display. The display starts "painting" each frame from top to bottom. At normal 60Hz, it needs 16.7ms to paint the whole frame and reach the bottom. With g-sync, it only needs 6.9ms, which is something that normally only happens at 144Hz when not using g-sync.

Example at 60FPS@144Hz: the refresh rate becomes 60Hz, meaning one frame is shown every 1/60th of a second (= every 16.7ms). However, each such frame does not take 16.7ms to scan out (to "paint".) It only takes 6.9ms (more than twice as fast.)
Ah yea you are just talking about refresh, but still Jor said:

"With VRR, if the framerate is 40, for instance, the scanout is repeating 40 times per second (at least until you get to minimum refresh/LFC, where frame doubling occurs; the starting point of which varies per VRR method and/or panel tolerance)."

This is what I am referring to.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2019, 10:12

TTT wrote:Ah yea you are just talking about refresh, but still Jor said:

"With VRR, if the framerate is 40, for instance, the scanout is repeating 40 times per second (at least until you get to minimum refresh/LFC, where frame doubling occurs; the starting point of which varies per VRR method and/or panel tolerance)."

That's the same thing. 40 scanouts per second is obviously 40Hz. One scanout happens every 25ms. But each one of those scanouts only takes 6.9ms.

If it's still confusing, imagine two painters, Alice and Bob, who each paint one painting every hour. Alice needs an hour to complete each painting. So after she finishes one painting, she immediately starts painting the next. Bob, however, is fast. He only needs 20 minutes to paint one painting so you see Bob's finished painting faster. Then he does nothing and just waits for 40 minutes before he starts painting the next one.

Both painters are putting out paintings at a rate of 1PPH (Paintings Per Hour). But Bob finishes each painting much faster than Alice.

In the exact same way, 60Hz non-gsync, and 144Hz g-sync will do 60Hz when playing a 60FPS game. But 144Hz g-sync will finish each frame much faster.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Post by TTT » 19 Jul 2019, 10:30

RealNC wrote:
TTT wrote:Ah yea you are just talking about refresh, but still Jor said:

That's the same thing. 40 scanouts per second is obviously 40Hz. One scanout happens every 25ms. But each one of those scanouts only takes 6.9ms.

If it's still confusing, imagine two painters, Alice and Bob, who each paint one painting every hour. Alice needs an hour to complete each painting. So after she finishes one painting, she immediately starts painting the next. Bob, however, is fast. He only needs 20 minutes to paint one painting so you see Bob's finished painting faster. Then he does nothing and just waits for 40 minutes before he starts painting the next one.

Both painters are putting out paintings at a rate of 1PPH (Paintings Per Hour). But Bob finishes each painting much faster than Alice.

In the exact same way, 60Hz non-gsync, and 144Hz g-sync will do 60Hz when playing a 60FPS game. But 144Hz g-sync will finish each frame much faster.
I get you, I just took it as with VRR enabled it fixes the monitor refresh and scanout to whatever the current fps is. But I suppose the game can't alter the fact that you have it set to 240hz in NCP, I overlooked that! :)

So Gsync off 240hz capped to 100fps, is getting the same scanouts and everything as Gsync on 240hz capped to 100fps, but Gsync on adds a bit of input lag at the lower frames from looking at the comparison charts.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2019, 10:42

TTT wrote:So Gsync off 240hz capped to 100fps, is getting the same scanouts and everything as Gsync on 240hz capped to 100fps, but Gsync on adds a bit of input lag at the lower frames from looking at the comparison charts.
Which of the charts?