Gsync is doing something weird to FSO

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TTT

Gsync is doing something weird to FSO

Post by TTT » 15 Jul 2019, 05:44

I'm not sure if its something wrong with my monitor or some update has caused it.

With Gsync on in games if you use the volume or tab out it flickers black like it would with full screen optimisation off, but its set on.

Also if I change the volume, the volume bar comes up over the game like it would do with FSO on but then it also flickers black like it would do if FSO was off.

I've reinstalled the newest Nvidia driver but it didn't make a difference.

Anybody else seen this?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Gsync is doing something weird to FSO

Post by RealNC » 15 Jul 2019, 05:51

That's normal. With FSO, when there's no Windows UI elements on the screen (like the volume bar), g-sync gets activated just like with classic exclusive fullscreen. But when you alt+tab or a UI element like the volume needs to be displayed, the Windows DWM gets activated as if you were running in windowed mode. When that happens, g-sync gets disabled. That causes a slight flicker. When the volume bar disappears again or when you alt+tab back to the game, DWM is disabled and g-sync is re-enabled, which again causes a slight flicker.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Post by TTT » 15 Jul 2019, 05:57

RealNC wrote:That's normal. With FSO, when there's no Windows UI elements on the screen (like the volume bar), g-sync gets activated just like with classic exclusive fullscreen. But when you alt+tab or a UI element like the volume needs to be displayed, the Windows DWM gets activated as if you were running in windowed mode. When that happens, g-sync gets disabled. That causes a slight flicker. When the volume bar disappears again or when you alt+tab back to the game, DWM is disabled and g-sync is re-enabled, which again causes a slight flicker.
Ahh cool, I've never noticed it before.

Thanks.

TTT

Post by TTT » 15 Jul 2019, 06:26

Hmm I just checked again and now it isn't flickering, no idea whats going on. :/