G-SYNC with stutter/hitch

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
hazazs

G-SYNC with stutter/hitch

Post by hazazs » 02 Aug 2019, 02:53

Hi,
Why does DiRT 4 run "worse" with G-SYNC enabled than without it? On my old 60Hz monitor the game ran smoothly at constant 60FPS with no problem. Now I have bought a Dell AW2518H monitor, and when I enable G-SYNC, DiRT 4 starts to stutter/hitch. Although most of the time it runs more fluently, but these stutters/hitches bother me much more than playing at “only” 60FPS. When I disable G-SYNC and set back to 60Hz with V-SYNC, stutters/hitches go away, but then why did I waste my money for an expensive monitor if I can’t use it for what it is originally made of? How could I get rid of these very annoying stutters/hitches? I’m really desperated and disappointed at the moment.
Thanks,
hazazs
P.S.: I haven't tried any other game yet, because I want to solve this problem first. Plus in theory every games support G-SYNC since it is undependent from the game engine, so it would work perfectly with every games.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC with stutter/hitch

Post by RealNC » 02 Aug 2019, 04:49

Is it actually a g-sync problem? What happens if you disable g-sync but DON'T switch to 60Hz? Use the highest refresh rate. Does it have these stutters then?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 02 Aug 2019, 10:21

The game every ~ 1 sec makes a survey of usb controllers. The frame rate drops to 1. When the frame rate drops sharply and rises below range g-sync, this leads to more visible stuttering. It is better to disable g-sync.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 02 Aug 2019, 10:35

hazazs wrote:Hi,
When I disable G-SYNC and set back to 60Hz with V-SYNC, stutters/hitches go away, but then why did I waste my money for an expensive monitor if I can’t use it for what it is originally made of? How could I get rid of these very annoying stutters/hitches? I’m really desperated and disappointed at the moment.
You can imagine that g-sync is a Ferrari, and a monitor without g-sync is a KIA Sportage.
You have a road on which every second of your journey a pit comes across.
Ferrari will not give you a pleasant experience, and KIA Sportage will cope with this track.
g-sync will not give you a pleasant feeling if you do not remove the pits from the track.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2019, 12:39

Some games are designed in a way that doesn't work very well with GSYNC/FreeSync.

Some games will do gametime calculations differently depending on how the game is configured for VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF. In many situations, configuring the game to VSYNC OFF while enabling "GSYNC+VSYNC ON" in NVIDIA Control Panel, is sometimes the solution that helps the most.

Combined with a frame rate cap (either in-game or RTSS). Also adding a frame rate cap can help improve the situation -- e.g. using RTSS to set the frame rate cap about 3fps below maximum Hz. For some games that have frame rate problems above 60fps, it is sometimes useful to set a frame rate cap much lower than the max-Hz.

This will sometimes be a very game-specific optimization. The moral of the story is a game's VSYNC OFF setting tends to synchronize the best with graphics drivers configured in FreeSync/GSYNC setting. (Stutters can sometimes result from bad interactions between game setting + driver setting)

This may not solve your problem but it is something worth keeping in mind.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hazazs

Post by hazazs » 03 Aug 2019, 10:04

I have unplugged my TV, and restarted the PC. The stutters have gone!
But this is interesting, because although the TV was plugged into my GPU, I used only the monitor when the stutters came. The TV was off and disconnected (only plugged).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Aug 2019, 08:38

Yeah, one more example of G-Sync having big issues with more than one display (even if the second display is not even used.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.