Driver 441.08: Ultra-Low Latency Now with G-SYNC Support

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Driver 441.08: Ultra-Low Latency Now with G-SYNC Support

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2019, 10:57

Just to preempt some questions on this:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... dy-driver/
NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency Mode Adds G-SYNC Support

Lower latency makes your games feel more responsive and snappy, and can give you an extra edge in multiplayer. To further reduce latency for our users, we introduced a new Ultra Low Latency Mode (NULL) in a recent driver that reduced graphics pipeline latency and accelerated response times.

Now, we’ve updated NULL to enable it to work in concert with G-SYNC and G-SYNC Compatible gaming monitors, for a superior tear-free, extra-responsive variable refresh rate experience, so you no longer need to choose between V-SYNC or low response times:

The above chart shows how when VSYNC is ON, NULL is set to ULTRA, and G-SYNC is ON, end to end system latency is reduced by up to 20%. This means 20% faster reaction time from when you click the button on your mouse to when you see the result on your screen.

To enable NULL on a global or per-game basis, head to the NVIDIA Control Panel and navigate to 3D Settings > Low Latency Mode. Select On or Ultra, and click apply on the bottom right of the Control Panel.

To use NULL in concert with G-SYNC:
  • Enable Ultra Low Latency Mode
  • Scroll down to Vertical Sync and select On, either on a global or per game basis, and apply changes
  • Navigate to “Set up G-SYNC” on the left nav of the NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Enable G-SYNC and apply changes (note, if your monitor supports G-SYNC and ULMB, ensure “G-SYNC” is selected under the Monitor
  • Technology dropdown in Manage 3D settings)
  • In-game, disable V-SYNC, so the NVIDIA Control Panel can correctly apply your settings
In the past, gamers have had to choose between a tear free experience with VSYNC ON, and a lower latency experience with VSYNC OFF. With the release of our new Game Ready Driver, gamers now get the best of both worlds, ensuring they can enjoy a low latency, tear-free experience when gaming on G-SYNC and G-SYNC Compatible gaming monitors.
While it's great to see Nvidia appears to be making further allowances for G-SYNC when used in conjunction with Ultra-low latency mode, the fine print disclaimer in the above graph image should be noted:
* End to End (Mouse Click to Display Update) System Latency measured on GTX 1660 Super, R440.xx, X299, Rampage VI Apex, i9-900k 3.6GHz, 16GB Corsair DDr4, Win 10 19H1 x64, 4k @ 60hz at ~75FPS settings. Combined performance of Rainbow 6, Apex Legends, Fortnite, and Overwatch
This means the above results still apply best to GPU-bound situations (especially at lower refresh rates), and regarding G-SYNC + V-SYNC specifically in their tests here, it was with the framerate exceeding the refresh rate of the monitor (which means they were still getting sync-induced input lag, just a little less [about 1 and 1/2 frames @60Hz due to further reduction of the pre-rendered frames queue] with "Ultra").

Suffice to say, G-SYNC + V-SYNC + -3 FPS (minimum) limit is still going to be superior input lag-wise, at any refresh rate, and until more is learned/tested, if you're going to enable Low Latency Mode globally, my general recommendation is still to use "On" over "Ultra."

That said, as always, you should try both per game, and see what subjectively feels better regardless ("Ultra" simply has the possible risk of more stutter/slightly higher input lag in non-GPU-bound situations, likely due to the occasional skipped frame).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Driver 441.08: Ultra-Low Latency Now with G-SYNC Support

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Oct 2019, 12:53

This could reduce the latency differential between GSYNC below-Hz and equal-Hz framerates. Most people just don't bother to cap GSYNC 3fps below, so automating this by 75%+ with NULL will be a benefit to industry.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2019, 13:21

^ Yes, true, it's certainly better than not. I myself am going to enable "Ultra" globally for now, and (subjectively, non-scientifically) see how it reacts in a variety of games when compared to "On" (my usual setting).

It will also be interesting to see if any testing/re-testing is done soon on this by Battle(non)sense or the like.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 29 Oct 2019, 15:00

In some testing I did it seems that putting NULL to "Ultra" and Vsync to "On" automatically caps games to below the refresh rate of the monitor (97.3 FPS @ 100Hz gsync screen). With some monitoring using PresentMon, it also seems to have the same latency characteristics as previously capping to 97 FPS manually.

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 29 Oct 2019, 15:21

Another observation: since the NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency (NULL) feature was added, the FPS limiter in NVIDIA's driver, set through NVIDIA Profile Inspector, is also low latency, that is, sub-frametime latencies measured by PresentMon, similar to RTSS. You only set the FPS limit and let the "Frame Rate Limiter Mode" to default. Previously, that caused additional latency due to the Rendering Queue filling up, but that's exactly what the NULL feature has eliminated. Now it's possible to have low latency in GPU limited scenarios, when hitting the monitor's refresh rate, and when setting a custom frame rate limiter, all using just the driver :-)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2019, 15:50

Hmm, in my short observation, at 144Hz with G-SYNC + V-SYNC + Ultra Low Latency + uncapped FPS, I am indeed getting an auto cap to 138 FPS in all of the three games I briefly tested.

Obviously, high-speed testing and the like will have to be done to say for certain, but if it functions like I think it does, and it is indeed auto capping below the refresh rate with G-SYNC active, then, theoretically, it could potentially have similar latency to using a -3 FPS limit with RTSS.

Again, it will be interesting to see if Battle(non)sense revisits in the near future.

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 29 Oct 2019, 15:57

Tested some Vulkan games, e.g. Doom 2016, with VSYNC On (in-game off), NULL Ultra. There it does not seem to work and the game FPS hits the monitor refresh rate just like before, resulting in ~1 FPS of queuing latency.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2019, 16:01

^ That would make sense:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... dy-driver/
Our new Low Latency Mode is being released in beta with support for all GPUs in DX9 and DX11 games (in DX12 and Vulkan titles, the game decides when to queue the frame).

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2019, 17:29

I forgot to mention, in addition to my previous comments, I have seen similar behavior in my testing with G-SYNC + Fast Sync:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ettings/8/

It also auto capped to 138 FPS @144Hz (as well as 97 FPS @100Hz, btw) and had similar input lag levels to G-SYNC + RTSS -3 FPS limit.

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 29 Oct 2019, 19:46

Will this cost framerates to use? Like if I'm only getting 90 fps before with a 144 hz monitor, is it gonna cost some more frames to have ultra low latency running?