adaptive G-Sync behaviour @ lower fps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Kochsalz

adaptive G-Sync behaviour @ lower fps

Post by Kochsalz » 08 Nov 2019, 14:48

Hi Blurbuster community,

this will be my first post in this forum. Cheers.
I recently got me an new Acer VG270U P. This model offers 1440p with 144 Hz and Freesync. Freesync range is 40-144. This model is not listed as G-Sync compatibe. But what i have tested it worked pretty good.

The display can show me the actual Hz that are displayed. When i tested the nvidia pendulum demo i discovered some interesting behaviour @ lower fps regions.

When you use the fps slider in the pendulum demo and start with the lowest value possible (20 fps). The Display starts to quintuple the images and i get 100 Hz. This will go on up to 29 fps and the quadrupling to 115 Hz. @ 35 fps trippling to 132 Hz. After that 45 fps doubling to 90 Hz. And 64 fps to 64 Hz.

Now the interesing story. When you go from high framerate region to lower. the behaviour is little different.@ First fps=Hz. But when you reach 57 fps the frames doubling to 114. And @ 25 fps the frame trippel to 75 Hz.

So the fps limit @ wich frames are doubeld or trippeld/quadrupeld depending on if the fps are increasing or dropping.

I allready tryed do replicate this behaviour in Overwatch and CS GO. But in Overwatch i struggeld with the 60 fps menu.And in CS GO the lowest limit i can use is 50 fps. Also the values where frame doubling happen is different in this 3 tested scenarios.

For me this discovery is important because at the moment i play Dark Souls 2 wich are limited to 60 fps. and resulting mostly in 60 Hz. But with frame doubling to 120 Hz motion blur woud be much less.

Can anyone confirm same behaviour or is this monitor/system dependend?

Kochsalz

Re: adaptive G-Sync behaviour @ lower fps

Post by Kochsalz » 10 Nov 2019, 06:36

I did some additonal testing in Battlefield 4. And the behaviour is more or less the same. The refreshrate of the monitor stay between 50-140 Hz.
And bepending on if fps are increasing or dropping resulting in different Hz values.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: adaptive G-Sync behaviour @ lower fps

Post by RealNC » 10 Nov 2019, 08:18

AFAIK, this is done by the GPU, not the display. The driver has an algorithm that determines how to do LFC.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.