No ghosting when using super fast response time with gsync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Jestaz

No ghosting when using super fast response time with gsync

Post by Jestaz » 09 Nov 2019, 13:25

So i recently turned gsync off (AW2518Hf) to see if i would feel any difference in responsiveness, while playing apex legends. After a few rounds i was browsing a bit and noticed that when scrolling down i had ghosting. When i first set up my monitor i tried out super fast response time and while most people were mentioning that it should be kept on norma, due to massive ghosting, i didn't notice any of that so kept it on super fast (I even did the ghosting test on your site to verify and double checked by doing the same test on my dell S2417dg which had ghosting on everything else but normal).

So since i had ghosting now i set the setting on my monitor to normal again and the ghosting was gone. I remembered not having any ghosting with gsync enabled, so i did some testing.

Turns out that when i have gsync enabled, that i have absolutely no ghosting on super fast response time. How is that possible? Since i only activated gsync in full screen mode, how does it have influence during browsing websites? I seem to be able to run super fast, but only if my gsync is enabled.

If i would decide to keep gsync disabled, would turning back to normal response time make the performance worse than keeping gsync enabled and response time on super fast? I am interested in having the lowest input lag option here.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: No ghosting when using super fast response time with gsy

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 09 Nov 2019, 14:03

Overdrive algorithm changes when g-sync is enabled afaik.
If u interested in lowest input lag first of all disable g-sync, then cap fps in game, then check v-sync is off everywhere and then try different overdrive values (super fast, normal, etc) and keep most comfortable one. Response time setting has no real impact to input lag. G-sync does more impact to input lag but it's already negligible. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Nov 2019, 14:36

Q83Ia7ta wrote:G-sync does more impact to input lag but it's already negligible. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The only input lag G-SYNC "adds" over V-SYNC is it's lack of tearing.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Nov 2019, 05:51

Overdrive works quite differently when g-sync is engaged. Basically, there's two different overdrive methods in g-sync monitors: Fixed refresh overdrive and variable refresh overdrive. As a result, gsync vs non-gsync can look very different when it comes to ghosting.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

soulhunter0504

Post by soulhunter0504 » 04 Dec 2019, 17:32

RealNC wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 05:51
Overdrive works quite differently when g-sync is engaged. Basically, there's two different overdrive methods in g-sync monitors: Fixed refresh overdrive and variable refresh overdrive. As a result, gsync vs non-gsync can look very different when it comes to ghosting.
Doesn't he have the freesync version without the gsync hardware? Would he still have the variable overdrive with gsync on? How is his ghosting gone when I heard it was a problem on the 2518hf model? I bought one on blackfriday but I was thinking of returning it for a 2518h.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2019, 17:42

soulhunter0504 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:32
Doesn't he have the freesync version without the gsync hardware? Would he still have the variable overdrive with gsync on? How is his ghosting gone when I heard it was a problem on the 2518hf model? I bought one on blackfriday but I was thinking of returning it for a 2518h.
Most FreeSync monitors do not have variable overdrive. Sometimes the fixed overdrive is used in conjunction with VRR, but the problem with that is that you see ghosting/coronas appear/disappear/reappear as the framerate modulates up and down.

<TECHNICAL>

This is because pixel response curve is static, and you’re interrupting different portions of the GtG response curve because of the varying refresh cycle lengths. For 240Hz VRR, 1ms GtG can still take more than 4ms, as seen in the Pixel Response FAQ: Questions about GtG vs MPRT, since it’s a measurement from the 10% point of the curve to the 90% point of the curve. A pixel on an LCD always “fades” from one color to the next at a fixed speed, as seen in high speed videos at www.blurbusters.com/scanout .... If a pixel begins its new refresh cycle (new transition) when it’s only partially transitioned, the human eye can perceive it as a brighter pixel or darker pixel than it should be — a ghosting/corona artifact. So you need to kind of vary the overdrive during the variable frame intervals, to try to keep pixel transitions similarly ghost-free / corona-free at all frame rates.

</TECHNICAL>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bamboo

Post by Bamboo » 27 Jan 2020, 13:14

RealNC wrote:
Is the fixed refresh rate overdrive the same if the monitor is set to for example 165hz and then 100hz, or does it change to best fit the set hz?

ELK

Post by ELK » 01 Feb 2020, 15:02

Bamboo wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:14
RealNC wrote:
Is the fixed refresh rate overdrive the same if the monitor is set to for example 165hz and then 100hz, or does it change to best fit the set hz?
Good question. If I'm going to play a game with a 100fps cap and gsync will choosing a different refresh rate, say 144 vs 240hz change it's overdrive? Chief said while it's modulating. Does that mean it doesn't matter as long as the fps is stable... I wonder

Bamboo

Re: No ghosting when using super fast response time with gsync

Post by Bamboo » 01 Feb 2020, 17:40

ELK wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 15:02
Good question. If I'm going to play a game with a 100fps cap and gsync will choosing a different refresh rate, say 144 vs 240hz change it's overdrive? Chief said while it's modulating. Does that mean it doesn't matter as long as the fps is stable... I wonder
If you have a monitor with Gsync hardware, not Gsync compatible, it's overdrive is variable.
If you cap the game to 100fps with Gsync turned on, the refresh rate won't go over 100hz. But it will follow the games fps if it drops below 100.
And the overdrive will adjust accordingly.

I was hoping @RealNC could explain how overdrive works on a monitor with Gsync hardware and Gsync turned off. Fixed refresh rate.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: No ghosting when using super fast response time with gsync

Post by RealNC » 02 Feb 2020, 13:29

Bamboo wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 17:40
I was hoping @RealNC could explain how overdrive works on a monitor with Gsync hardware and Gsync turned off. Fixed refresh rate.
Only nvidia knows.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.