How do I setup GSync properly?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Post Reply
yungracks
Posts: 51
Joined: 01 May 2019, 11:45

How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by yungracks » 27 Jan 2020, 06:46

Hello everyone,

Ive got my 2nd GSync monitor recently and I see alot of different options on how to setup GSync up properly, as of now I have those settings & was wondering if I did it correct;

https://prntscr.com/qtg8iv (Low latency; ultra, do I put this on ON or OFF? My FPS is capped at like 226 even though it should be 237)
https://prntscr.com/qtg93g (Monitor technology; GSync & Preferred Refreshrate; Highest available)
https://prntscr.com/qtg9fo (VSync ON)

What else do I change or do?

Kind regards,

User avatar
jorimt
Posts: 1308
Joined: 04 Nov 2016, 10:44
Location: USA

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by jorimt » 27 Jan 2020, 08:38

yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
Ive got my 2nd GSync monitor recently and I see alot of different options on how to setup GSync up properly, as of now I have those settings & was wondering if I did it correct;
Optimal G-SYNC settings are kept up-to-date and available for repeat reference here:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
https://prntscr.com/qtg8iv (Low latency; ultra, do I put this on ON or OFF? My FPS is capped at like 226 even though it should be 237)
For Ultra on/off, it depends; for a short answer, read my optimal G-SYNC settings, for a longer answer read my below post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&hilit=low+late ... =30#p44825

But shortest answer is if you're already using an in-game or external FPS limiter, set low latency mode to "On." If you still have any questions as to why, refer to the above link.

Regarding your 226 FPS limit, that's fine. It's not that your limit "should" be exactly at 237 @240Hz. That's the minimum it should be; anything below that is fine.
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
https://prntscr.com/qtg93g (Monitor technology; GSync & Preferred Refreshrate; Highest available)
Those are the defaults that are set when you enable G-SYNC, so they're fine.
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
https://prntscr.com/qtg9fo (VSync ON)
This ensures there's zero tearing within the G-SYNC range, so that's correct (for that purpose) as well.
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
What else do I change or do?
Where base G-SYNC setup is concerned, not much else really.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 Pro MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz

yungracks
Posts: 51
Joined: 01 May 2019, 11:45

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by yungracks » 27 Jan 2020, 13:05

Thank you! Helped me alot.

yungracks
Posts: 51
Joined: 01 May 2019, 11:45

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by yungracks » 27 Jan 2020, 13:13

jorimt wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 08:38
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
Ive got my 2nd GSync monitor recently and I see alot of different options on how to setup GSync up properly, as of now I have those settings & was wondering if I did it correct;
Optimal G-SYNC settings are kept up-to-date and available for repeat reference here:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
https://prntscr.com/qtg8iv (Low latency; ultra, do I put this on ON or OFF? My FPS is capped at like 226 even though it should be 237)
For Ultra on/off, it depends; for a short answer, read my optimal G-SYNC settings, for a longer answer read my below post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&hilit=low+late ... =30#p44825

But shortest answer is if you're already using an in-game or external FPS limiter, set low latency mode to "On." If you still have any questions as to why, refer to the above link.

Regarding your 226 FPS limit, that's fine. It's not that your limit "should" be exactly at 237 @240Hz. That's the minimum it should be; anything below that is fine.
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
https://prntscr.com/qtg93g (Monitor technology; GSync & Preferred Refreshrate; Highest available)
Those are the defaults that are set when you enable G-SYNC, so they're fine.
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
https://prntscr.com/qtg9fo (VSync ON)
This ensures there's zero tearing within the G-SYNC range, so that's correct (for that purpose) as well.
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 06:46
What else do I change or do?
Where base G-SYNC setup is concerned, not much else really.
Wait actually, what would be the best settings for competitive Fortnite? Im confused

User avatar
jorimt
Posts: 1308
Joined: 04 Nov 2016, 10:44
Location: USA

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by jorimt » 27 Jan 2020, 13:21

yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:13
Wait actually, what would be the best settings for competitive Fortnite? Im confused
Confused about what point specifically?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 Pro MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz

yungracks
Posts: 51
Joined: 01 May 2019, 11:45

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by yungracks » 27 Jan 2020, 13:26

jorimt wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:21
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:13
Wait actually, what would be the best settings for competitive Fortnite? Im confused
Confused about what point specifically?
For some reason my game feels slow responding when I have the low latency on ultra, and I never see anyone have this FPS cap 226 only 237 aka low latency on ON

User avatar
jorimt
Posts: 1308
Joined: 04 Nov 2016, 10:44
Location: USA

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by jorimt » 27 Jan 2020, 13:35

yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:26
jorimt wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:21
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:13
Wait actually, what would be the best settings for competitive Fortnite? Im confused
Confused about what point specifically?
For some reason my game feels slow responding when I have the low latency on ultra, and I never see anyone have this FPS cap 226 only 237 aka low latency on ON
Did you not read my optimal settings or the post I linked then? Because they both specifically state that G-SYNC + V-SYNC + LLM "Ultra" auto caps the FPS below the refresh rate, or in your case, on what I assume is a 240Hz monitor, around ~226 FPS.

This is one of the reasons I recommend G-SYNC + V-SYNC + LLM "On" when using an in-game or RTSS FPS limit, so that Ultra doesn't override the manually set FPS limit with its auto cap.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 Pro MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz

yungracks
Posts: 51
Joined: 01 May 2019, 11:45

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by yungracks » 28 Jan 2020, 07:04

jorimt wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:35
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:26
jorimt wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:21
yungracks wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:13
Wait actually, what would be the best settings for competitive Fortnite? Im confused
Confused about what point specifically?
For some reason my game feels slow responding when I have the low latency on ultra, and I never see anyone have this FPS cap 226 only 237 aka low latency on ON
Did you not read my optimal settings or the post I linked then? Because they both specifically state that G-SYNC + V-SYNC + LLM "Ultra" auto caps the FPS below the refresh rate, or in your case, on what I assume is a 240Hz monitor, around ~226 FPS.

This is one of the reasons I recommend G-SYNC + V-SYNC + LLM "On" when using an in-game or RTSS FPS limit, so that Ultra doesn't override the manually set FPS limit with its auto cap.
Yeah I did read it but its so much and hard to get it all together, because when i have LLM on Ultra and got my cap on 237 it still overrides it and itll be 226, anyways I had one question regarding CS:GO;

Should I just cap 237 on CSGO aswell? I use G+VSync & LLM on ON.

User avatar
jorimt
Posts: 1308
Joined: 04 Nov 2016, 10:44
Location: USA

Re: How do I setup GSync properly?

Post by jorimt » 28 Jan 2020, 10:25

yungracks wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 07:04
Yeah I did read it but its so much and hard to get it all together, because when i have LLM on Ultra and got my cap on 237 it still overrides it and itll be 226,
  • G-SYNC + V-SYNC + LLM "Ultra" = Max Pre-rendered Frames "1" + auto FPS limiter
  • G-SYNC + V-SYNC + LLM "On" = Max Pre-rendered Frames "1" ONLY (no auto FPS limiter)
yungracks wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 07:04
anyways I had one question regarding CS:GO;

Should I just cap 237 on CSGO aswell? I use G+VSync & LLM on ON.
That is entirely up to you, because at 240Hz, there is very little input lag difference between G-SYNC + V-SYNC + 237 FPS limit vs. G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" + ~300+ FPS limit:

Image
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 Pro MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz

Post Reply