VS278Q or VG248QE

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
CoMa

VS278Q or VG248QE

Post by CoMa » 15 Apr 2014, 17:22

HI to all, this is my last question!
I have a Gtx 780, i want play smooth i don't care for details and i want play with v-sync and triple buffer!
It's better VG248QE v-synced and triple buffered but not with max fps 120, i say like 70-90, or it's better VS278Q v-synced and triple buffered but at 60 fps steady?
I know the better option will be 120 with v-sync off but i want play without tearing!

Di9i7a1H8

Re: VS278Q or VG248QE

Post by Di9i7a1H8 » 15 Apr 2014, 19:36

Have you played on a 120+hz monitor before? Cause from my experience you don't really get tearing with any monitor 120hz+. Personally, I will never buy another 60hz panel as long as I live. The difference to me between the two is night and day. Even if you aren't getting 120fps. The way I understand it is, because the screen is refreshed so fast on a 120 or 144hz panel the screen tearing is not even noticeable in most cases. I have a g-sync modified VG248QE, but even before I got the g-sync mod I never noticed tearing on it, and I would never recommend using v-sync unless you're playing a single player game. Having v-sync on is just stupid in anything multiplayer IMO. What games are you playing? Even without knowing what games you are playing, I would say VG248QE all the way. Anything less than 120hz should be banned as far as video games go.

CoMa

Post by CoMa » 15 Apr 2014, 20:09

hehe thanks the only fear is bc i hate tearing if i play 70-90 fps on a 120 hz mointor i will take insane stutering, only that

Haste

Post by Haste » 16 Apr 2014, 07:33

What is your CPU model? And can you list the games you're gonna play?
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Apr 2014, 09:10

CoMa wrote:hehe thanks the only fear is bc i hate tearing if i play 70-90 fps on a 120 hz mointor i will take insane stutering, only that
It will still look better than on a 60Hz monitor.

However, there are several solutions to that:
-- Use GSYNC, which is an upgrade available to the VG248QE. That will make all framerates (even fluctuating) silky smooth looking, including 70-90fps
-- If you want to smooth out most stutters, use a lower refresh rate (e.g. 85Hz, 100Hz), and use a frame rate cap. Commonly, you set it about 1 or 2fps less than the refresh rate, as a tradeoff between tearing visibility and fluidity (e.g. fps_max 99 during 100Hz VSYNC OFF).
-- If you hate tearing, enable VSYNC, while also using a framerate cap slightly lower than Hz, to keep VSYNC as low-latency as possible (e.g. fps_max 99 during 100Hz VSYNC ON is known to lower VSYNC ON input lag significantly. Not completely eliminated, but a lot of it). VSYNC ON is not recommended for multiplayer due to the input lag, so this is generally recommended for solo or less lag-critical games like MMO type games, where you're prioritizing motion fluidity over input lag.

Since you want to play VSYNC and triplebuffered, you will always get a bit of microstutters. For the microstutter math, the microstutter amplitude (amount of distance of the shakiness/vibrations in stutters) is equal to the frame step between frames. So assuming no other weak links (e.g. mouse microstutters, game engine limitations), 400fps@120Hz will have less visible microstutters than 200fps@120Hz, which can become visible during high speed keyboard strafing (no mouse error factor) in front of high detail textures. This applies to VSYNC OFF situations, as well as triplebuffer(VSYNC ON) situations. An alternative to having low-latency VSYNC ON (not as low as VSYNC OFF, but lower than default VSYNC ON), is to disable triplebuffering but enable an in-game frame cap. e.g. VSYNC ON (non-triplebuffered) plus a fps_max about 1fps below refresh rate. Assuming framerates cap out, this has far less microstutters in many game engines that have a configurable frame rate cap (especially Source engine games).

For dynamic framerate situations (e.g. framerates that vary a lot), GSYNC is vastly superior since it has the capability of making framerate variances quite stutter-free (no erratic stutters, far less visible transitions between different frame rates). If you are a VSYNC ON triplebuffer lover, you will likely love GSYNC. The VG248QE is upgradeable to GSYNC, so this could tip your buying consideration.

I should note that professional competitive gameplay tend to always use VSYNC OFF, but understand that casual gamers who prioritize on motion fluidity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CoMa

Post by CoMa » 16 Apr 2014, 10:12

Very very thanks, i want g-sync kit but i can't buy here in europe!
If someone can buy for me in USA i will appreciate it!
I can pay before with paypal!
Or i will play with my new vg248qe that i ordered with v-sync off or with suggestions you give to me!