Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
forii

Re: Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Post by forii » 01 Apr 2020, 13:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:10
That's why it's good to have a 240Hz or 280Hz monitor even when gaming at only 90 or 100 frames per second; it delightfully lowers input latency of low frame rates if you use G-SYNC or FreeSync.

You can use as much capping headroom as you wish.

For G-SYNC and FreeSync, using caps-far-below-Hz to stabilize a crazily-fluctuating frame rate:
1. Always use highest Hz
2. Then use a frame rate cap that equals your approximate average frame rate.
Hello Chief

I like what you have said, but Im still confused because there is so much other configuration to choose. And I really looking for that one - the best one for my case

If I understood you correctly it is good to have highest HZ turned on, but what about if our monitor isnt that great at highest possible Hz?
Im talking here about 240hz (asus vg259qm) which can be overlocked to 280hz, but in this case with overdrive at 80, this 280hz isnt that stable (overshoots) than 240hz, also it gives more response time than default 240hz.
That is why I read it is good to use lower overdrive (60) if we have 120-200 fps., and with overdrive + 280hz this is more stable, but still response time is higher, so idk if I should or not use 280hz, here is the link
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... onse_times
"Optimal Overdrive Setting for VRR
60 - 120Hz = 40
120 - 200Hz = 60
200 - 280Hz = 80"
So I should use 280hz and use overdrive to 60? (IF I have avg 160 - that should be right)

I play Call of Duty Modern Warfare (WARZONE) and I have avg FPS = 160.
I always play competive in every game

That means I should lock my fps in game to 160 fps, just to have stable framerate? but do I keep 240 or 280 hz?

Also I can't decide If I should use g-sync/free sync or not, same with NULL (nvidia ultra low latency).

First version based on what you said it is best to:
1) G-sync/free sync [ON] + Highest HZ (280hz) + cap fps to avg in game + NULL OFF? ON? ULTRA?
What about using higher Hz without g-sync/free sync?
2) G sync/free sync [OFF] + 280HZ? + cap fps just to keep GPU load under 95% + NULL OFF or ON? or Ultra?

If it comes to NULL is it true that it helps to provide more fps? so it's good to use it off, to get as much fps as we can, esspecialy for 240hz?
+ I heard it doesnt give much if we have more than 120 fps

I will not ask if use ELMB on /or /off because that would be too much :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2020, 17:12

If there's a cap, then the sync technology at 280fps will typically not activate or rarely activate (thus VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON vs NULL doesn't matter).

The sync technology that is used instead of VRR (when framerates reach max-Hz) ideally doesn't matter, but in real world, caps aren't pefect (some frames are 1/285sec and other frames are 1/275sec) so one gets the VRR treatment and the other gets alternate sync tech treatment. If you are using a cap far, far, far below Hz, then it's overworrying mountains out of molehills what sync technology to use at 280fps when your cap is far below 280fps.

You can cap high and let yourself enjoy the benefits of full VRR range at the cost of some volatile lag, or you can cap low (close to average framerate), and enjoy the benefits of consistency with more latency consistency that can be easier. Try both ways, the high-cap method (~275fps cap at 280Hz) and the low cap (~160fps). Depending on the game you play, "tiny-bit-higher-but-consistent" latency can lead to better scoring than "low-but-volatile" latency. Preferences by esports players widely vary, but we've seen people have great results when capping strategically using the in-game framerate cap combined with VRR. (In-game capping is generally superior to external frame rate capping)

Capping to keep GPU load below 95% can be a good move to improve latency consistency, since the lagfeel of a 100% GPU and a lagfeel of sub-100% GPU can be different.

Also, yes, this is correct for overdrive setting -- use the overdrive setting TFTCentral recommends at the most frequent frame rate the game runs at.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

forii

Post by forii » 02 Apr 2020, 13:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 17:12
If there's a cap, then the sync technology at 280fps will typically not activate or rarely activate (thus VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON vs NULL doesn't matter).

The sync technology that is used instead of VRR (when framerates reach max-Hz) ideally doesn't matter, but in real world, caps aren't pefect (some frames are 1/285sec and other frames are 1/275sec) so one gets the VRR treatment and the other gets alternate sync tech treatment. If you are using a cap far, far, far below Hz, then it's overworrying mountains out of molehills what sync technology to use at 280fps when your cap is far below 280fps.

You can cap high and let yourself enjoy the benefits of full VRR range at the cost of some volatile lag, or you can cap low (close to average framerate), and enjoy the benefits of consistency with more latency consistency that can be easier. Try both ways, the high-cap method (~275fps cap at 280Hz) and the low cap (~160fps). Depending on the game you play, "tiny-bit-higher-but-consistent" latency can lead to better scoring than "low-but-volatile" latency. Preferences by esports players widely vary, but we've seen people have great results when capping strategically using the in-game framerate cap combined with VRR. (In-game capping is generally superior to external frame rate capping)

Capping to keep GPU load below 95% can be a good move to improve latency consistency, since the lagfeel of a 100% GPU and a lagfeel of sub-100% GPU can be different.

Also, yes, this is correct for overdrive setting -- use the overdrive setting TFTCentral recommends at the most frequent frame rate the game runs at.
Well my avg fps in the game I playing is 160 actually, i never reach more than 220fps anyway

If I understood you correctly there are two cap options for competive gamers based on my 240hz Asus:

1) High capped fps, in my case I cap fps with in game limiter at 200 to avoid 99% gpu load - i got max 96-97% load anyway (all settings in game at low), otherwise I would cap my fps higher.
2) Low capped fps to AVG fps (mine = 160) to have stable framerate and consistent latency + even lower gpu load

For these two options is there any consider to use NULL at off? I heard its always good to use it at ON instead of Ultra.

And same question with g-sync + v sync enabled in NVCP, is it worth to use it for 240hz monitors? I mean, i barely see any tearing. And with g-sync and vsync at off i get better input lag, which should be better
Last question about only g sync enabled? + of course one of the two cap options (like above) - it doesnt give any input lag anyway

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2020, 14:21

forii wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 13:38
1) High capped fps, in my case I cap fps with in game limiter at 200 to avoid 99% gpu load - i got max 96-97% load anyway (all settings in game at low), otherwise I would cap my fps higher.
High capped fps is 3fps below Hz
forii wrote:
2) Low capped fps to AVG fps (mine = 160) to have stable framerate and consistent latency + even lower gpu load
Low capped is 160fps or 200fps, your choice. Try both and decide which you prefer.

I cannot give you specific advice.

This type of tweaking advice even varies from GPU to GPU, computer to computer, gamer to gamer, etc.

It's a preference.

You'll notice glassfloor lag if you cap far below your framerate peaks/surges, because those framerate peak/surges have a "slip-fastforward-on-slippery-floor-effect". Basically a moderate lag that suddenly surges to lowness, then back to normal moderate lag. Those sudden lag-decreases can be unexpected if you've got certain games that loves to suddenly surge in framerates (which causes sudden brief drops in input lag too). Not all gamers want unexpected latency changes, even if it's sudden lag decreases.
-- Do you prefer lowest absolute lag even if that means including sudden lag decreases?
-- Do you prefer consistent lag (eliminate sudden lag decreases?)
-- Not all gamers have the same preference.
-- Try the settings. ;)

If you always want lowest absolute lag with VRR, you cap your frame rate about 3fps below Hz.
If you want to avoid sudden lag decreases, you cap your framerate at your average frame rate (middle of your frame rate range)
If you want to get glassfloor lag, you cap your frame rate at the valley of your framerate range.

Also some games smoothly varies in frame rate, so you won't get sudden latency changes. But other games will have sudden framerate accelerations/decelerations (e.g. flickturns past a facing-wall creating sudden framerate surges corresponding to sudden unexpected brief latency drops). It depends on the 3D graphics algorithms of those specific games how much the framerate fluctuates in whatever situations (e.g. regular movements or even mid-flick-turns). The specific game you play can dicate what kind of personal preferences you have with your monitor latency.

RTSS can help measure your latency volatility to an extent -- the frametime latency is a good approximation of your latency ballpark (it won't measure all latency volatility effects that are beyond RTSS ability to measure, such as latency gradients of a display's surface -- not all pixels are same lag, and the latency gradients changes with sync tech settings and other monitor setting such as strobe settings or Instant Mode settings).
forii wrote:
For these two options is there any consider to use NULL at off? I heard its always good to use it at ON instead of Ultra.
Mostly irrelevant to capped VRR. If you have perfect capped VRR, the fallback sync technology never activates. The VSYNC ON / VSYNC OFF / NULL / etc should only activate for frametimes faster than max-Hz refreshtimes. These are just only fallback sync-technologies at >240fps, and if you cap far below Hz, those sync-techs never activate so whatever setting you use is essentially a no-operation for accurate-capped VRR capped far below Hz.

Good debugging of this occurs with GSYNC + VSYNC OFF. You will witness tearing on refresh cycles containing unique frametimes faster than max-Hz refreshtimes. That might happen only 1 out of 1000 refresh cycles for a mostly-perfect frame rate capper. So if your fallback sync-tech only activates for a few millisecondsd 1 out of 1000 refresh cycles, you're worrying too much about almost nothing. It becomes, thusly, a waste of my time to answer fallback sync technology questions for VRR capped far below max-Hz, except to explain educationally how things work -- (the fact that fallback sync technologies only activate for frametimes faster than max-Hz refreshtimes, i.e. frametimes faster than 1/240sec for 240Hz VRR).

The question becomes more relevant mainly for capping-slightly-below-max-Hz, such as 237fps at 240Hz. An imperfect frame rate capper will vary slightly, with some frametimes being 1/230sec and other frametimes being 1/250sec (Random example:[1/230,250,244,237,222,260,etc,etc] Averaging out to 237fps). The frametime will jitter around. But capping far below max Hz, most good frame rate cappers will have frametimes rarely jitter to fast frametimes all the way to max-Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!