Fastsync + G-SYNC on GTX1070 GPU

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
fastHZ

Fastsync + G-SYNC on GTX1070 GPU

Post by fastHZ » 14 Mar 2020, 17:30

Hello everybody. I am having an issue that I kinda resolved but assume is not the best solution. :roll:

I recently purchased an AOC 27g2u monitor in the hope that I would be able to play games on a relatively inexpensive G-SYNC compatible monitor. The problem is it hasn't been very straightforward go get G-SYNC to work as it should on this monitor, which is unusual because having done some research most people seem to be fine with it.

As a G-SYNC compatible monitor, its G-SYNC frequency range is 48-144hz and I have had problems trying to keep games within that range. If at any point the game fps dips below 48fps, the monitor would blank out quite badly. The only solution I found was to turn on fastsync (Fast Vertical Sync) in Nvidia control panel which would allow doubling of the fps when a game dips below 48fps. Even though this is a solution, I haven't read of anybody else using this method, and the problem still persists on a couple of other games.

I've used many other ways of trying to fix this problem including messing around with Custom Resolution Utility, installing newer and older GPU drivers, and trying all types of setting combinations on Nvidia's control panel. Nvidia and AOC tech support were not particularly helpful with the issue either.

I would appreciate any guidance on the issue, or if somebody with the same monitor is having this problem as well.
Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Fastsync + G-SYNC on GTX1070 GPU

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2020, 18:29

fastHZ wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 17:30
I have had problems trying to keep games within that range. If at any point the game fps dips below 48fps, the monitor would blank out quite badly.
That is normally not supposed to happen. I consider this a potential issue, I will relay a link to this thread to my NVIDIA contact. Blur Busters partnered with NVIDIA on some initiatives such as the CES 2020 custom TestUFO motion demo for 360 Hz monitors.

The proper behaviour is to simply let extra stutter happens, or automatically use Low Frame Rate compensation. Monitors should never blank out when frame rates fall below min Hz of VRR. Those that do, may also have a misconfigured EDID / DisplayID that is just accidentally slightly below the min Hz -- but that would also affect operation with AMD cards (Adaptive Sync / HDMI VRR / FreeSync compatibles).
fastHZ wrote:
The only solution I found was to turn on fastsync (Fast Vertical Sync) in Nvidia control panel which would allow doubling of the fps when a game dips below 48fps. Even though this is a solution, I haven't read of anybody else using this method, and the problem still persists on a couple of other games
That's a pretty clever solution. Until there's a solution, keep using that workaround for now.
fastHZ wrote:
I've used many other ways of trying to fix this problem including messing around with Custom Resolution Utility, installing newer and older GPU drivers, and trying all types of setting combinations on Nvidia's control panel. Nvidia and AOC tech support were not particularly helpful with the issue either.
ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility from www.monitortests.com can reprogram the FreeSync range via an EDID override, but this only works with AMD cards. I am not 100% sure if NVIDIA drivers will recognize VRR range-reductions in EDID override INF files created by ToastyX CRU.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fastHZ

Post by fastHZ » 15 Mar 2020, 06:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:29
That is normally not supposed to happen. I consider this a potential issue, I will relay a link to this thread to my NVIDIA contact. Blur Busters partnered with NVIDIA on some initiatives such as the CES 2020 custom TestUFO motion demo for 360 Hz monitors.
Thank you for your help. On Nvidia's website it says that the specific monitor should have Nvidia driver versions 440.97 or newer to work properly, however in my case I'm using older drivers (version 431.53) since the newer ones Nvidia specify don't have the fastsync option in the control panel.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
The proper behaviour is to simply let extra stutter happens, or automatically use Low Frame Rate compensation. Monitors should never blank out when frame rates fall below min Hz of VRR. Those that do, may also have a misconfigured EDID / DisplayID that is just accidentally slightly below the min Hz -- but that would also affect operation with AMD cards (Adaptive Sync / HDMI VRR / FreeSync compatibles).
I was also under the assumption that the monitor should automatically use Low Frame Rate compensation. Do you think that my monitor may have an issue? I bought it new directly from Amazon which I assume is a reliable seller.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility from www.monitortests.com can reprogram the FreeSync range via an EDID override, but this only works with AMD cards. I am not 100% sure if NVIDIA drivers will recognize VRR range-reductions in EDID override INF files created by ToastyX CRU.
CRU unfortunately hasn't worked when I tried it with different driver/resolution/Hz combinations, although I've read many forums whereby it works with other Nvidia GPU users. Maybe it's my PC/monitor combo, not sure.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2020, 15:14

fastHZ wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 06:42
I was also under the assumption that the monitor should automatically use Low Frame Rate compensation. Do you think that my monitor may have an issue? I bought it new directly from Amazon which I assume is a reliable seller.
For generic VRR, ala FreeSync / AdaptiveSync / HDMI VRR, the low framerate compensation is the GPU and graphics drivers' responsibility. There is some responsibility in the monitor, for it all to work though, but the active LFC is done on the graphics end. It is the monitor's responsibility to transmit specifications (Plug-n-Play EDID / DisplayID) to inform the drivers what the drivers are allowed to do with the monitor. Basically, monitor gives instructions to the graphics drivers (via Plug-n-Play mechanism), and graphics drivers conducts the LFC. So error could be on either side.

It is the GPU and graphics drivers responsibility to transmit a repeat-refresh, so LFC logic is in the GPU and/or graphics drivers. It's possible for graphics drivers to be a fraction of a millisecond too late -- creating a repeat-refresh attempt to go beyond specifications of the monitor, and the monitor automatically blacks out when no new refresh cycle is received (refresh interval time longer than maximum allowed, e.g. longer than 1/48th sec).
fastHZ wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 06:42
Thank you for your help. On Nvidia's website it says that the specific monitor should have Nvidia driver versions 440.97 or newer to work properly, however in my case I'm using older drivers (version 431.53) since the newer ones Nvidia specify don't have the fastsync option in the control panel.
Please upgrade your drivers.

Until then, I politely suggest you might be accidentally wasting valuable Master Chief Blur Buster time, because, indeed, of course, for non-native-GSYNC technology, LFC is graphics card+driver responsibility. :D ;)

Your graphics driver upgrade is appreciated for efficiency's sake. Thank you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fastHZ

Post by fastHZ » 16 Mar 2020, 07:53

I didn't mean to waste anybody's time. As I mentioned in my 1st post, I have installed many graphics driver versions including the latest ones but unfortunately, they don't seem to work well and the screen keeps blanking out.

For reasons I am unable to explain, the graphics driver that works well (i.e. doesn't blank the screen below 48Hz) is an older version that provides fastsync.