Doom Eternal - HDR with Adaptive Sync lowers fps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Avean

Doom Eternal - HDR with Adaptive Sync lowers fps

Post by Avean » 21 Mar 2020, 06:59

Ok this is strange and i cant figure out what is going on. I dont think ive seen this in any other game. Been struggling not getting good performance on Doom Eternal which is highly optimized. After even lowering settings i was still getting low fps (Ive got 2080Ti and I9-9900K). Then i check my monitor, it was running at 75Hz and im like WHAT!?!. Ive got a 170Hz monitor. Then i see the Hz changes a bit, sometimes 80Hz and 77hz. Looks like its syncing hz with framerate which G-Sync is supposed to do.

Then i turn off G-Sync Compatible and straight to 170 fps and Hz. Now this only happens in HDR. G-Sync compatible without HDR works perfectly fine, still 170 fps and Hz. But what is going on with HDR and G-Sync compatible? Seems if you combine these two you suddenly half your framerate which in turns halfs your monitor refreshrate as well.

Avean

Re: Doom Eternal - HDR with Adaptive Sync lowers fps

Post by Avean » 22 Mar 2020, 06:54

Now im experiencing it in Non-HDR mode as well. Suddenly fps dropped to around 75 with HDR turned off. Turned off G-Sync compatible and FPS just boosted to 167 (fps limit). This must be unique to Doom Eternal cause i always run games with fps monitor on and never seen fps drops like this before.

Edit: Just run a whole map with g-sync on and no issue. Seems to be something triggering it but no idea what.

imiDazzol

Post by imiDazzol » 24 Mar 2020, 04:29

Finally, someone with a similar issue. I run Doom Eternal on a 2080 Ti together with 3700X on LG C9 OLED with G-Sync engaged, VSync ON in NVCP, frames capped at 117 via RTSS. Generally, a constant 117 fps, but sometimes I get weird enduring framedrops into the 60s where FPS seems to hover for a certain amount of time before eventually recovering. Don't know what triggers it, but I get a feeling it happens relatively often during cutscenes and when returning from the map into gameplay. Win10 has been recently setup freshly and NVidia drivers are up-to-date.

314Reactor

Post by 314Reactor » 17 Apr 2020, 17:03

Hey guys, I'm getting same issue too - Core i7 6700k RTX2080 32GB RAM, runs smooth as butter at 4k + G-Sync but soon as HDR on it will drop randomly to 45 or so. Really bizarre. I've seen a few other people with the issue too; someone here says its to do with PresentFromCompute?

Not sure what that is myself. I am not sure if this problem lies with NVIDIA or the game itself. I have seen similar behaviour with Breakpoint.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 17 May 2020, 01:57

I have a 2080Ti and a GSYNC HDR monitor and I run into performance issues in Doom Eternal with GSYNC + VSYNC enabled. Turning off VSYNC fixes everything and I can still keep GSYNC and HDR enabled with no apparent performance issues. Hopefully this will be fixed sometime in the future since I prefer to keep GSYNC and VSYNC enabled.