G-sync Globally On without actually being in range, weird jitter behavior with alt+tab.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
MT_

G-sync Globally On without actually being in range, weird jitter behavior with alt+tab.

Post by MT_ » 03 Apr 2020, 09:08

I've observed some weird behavior with CSGO when running 240fps (120hz monitor) with G-sync globally on (V-sync off) where the game framepacing starts to become jittery 10-20~seconds after having alt+tabbed back into the game.

As soon as it starts happening, I alt tab back out, and back in and it fixes itself for a very small time and it starts happening again. Can reproduce this 100% of the time.

Forcing G-sync off globally (or per game, forcing fixed refresh) fixes this behavior and the game remains utterly smooth at 240fps.

Now you'd think why would you want to keep G-sync on (with V-sync off) and run games at beyond your refresh rate range, the thing is I'm skeptical whether G-sync behaves normally within range when it apparently even causes frametime pacing issues when its 'On' but not actually being used.

Anyone experienced this? Windows 1809, Driver 445.75.
Tried all of these things: Switching Full screen optimization, Pre-rendered stuff, Game mode, non of these seem to affect it.

*Something* is going on 15~ secs after having alt tabbed back in that apparently affects framepacing, and it seems related to G-sync.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

MT_

Re: G-sync Globally On without actually being in range, weird jitter behavior with alt+tab.

Post by MT_ » 03 Apr 2020, 09:55

Hrm. Dropped down to driver 436.48 and no longer observing this behavior.

Also newest driver, I get thrown errors trying to enable G-sync indicator through inspector, seems this got broke?
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II