GSYNC lowest input lag i can get for competitive

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PeppexITA

Post by PeppexITA » 23 Apr 2020, 14:58

Guys, i want to play games competitively but games like apex legends without gsync is not smooth, what's the best setting of gsync for the lowest input lag? It's maybe gsync+141fpslimit? Do i need ultra low latency too? Im so confused, help me thank you

PeppexITA

Post by PeppexITA » 23 Apr 2020, 15:19

Best input lag gsync settings for 144hz? I wanna play competitive

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GSYNC lowest input lag i can get for competitive

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Apr 2020, 15:29

PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 14:58
Guys, i want to play games competitively but games like apex legends without gsync is not smooth, what's the best setting of gsync for the lowest input lag? It's maybe gsync+141fpslimit? Do i need ultra low latency too? Im so confused, help me thank you
If you don't want tearing, 141fps at 144Hz is your best bet. Enabling NULL at default settings is a good idea, although VSYNC ON / NULL doesn't activate often during 141fps cap. Caps are imperfect, some frames are 1/130sec and some frames are 1/150sec, to average the cap, and only the "fast" frame times gets the alternate sync technology treatment (e.g. VSYNC ON + NULL).

The bottom line -- keep it easy -- as long as you cap a few fps below Hz, the sync settings you configure doesn't apply very often because the fallback sync technologies only triggers at frame rates equaling or exceeding Hz.

Be noted,
- 141fps cap at 240Hz VRR is lower-lag because of lower scan-out latency.
- 237fps cap at 240Hz is even better.
So, in the long term, you should consider an upgrade to 240Hz (or even 280 Hz or 360 Hz), if you plan to play lots of competitive CS:GO.

CS:GO wants to run at ultra-high frame rates (300fps+) so there are significant competitive improvements getting a 240Hz+ G-SYNC monitor for CS:GO if you love to play with G-SYNC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PeppexITA

Post by PeppexITA » 23 Apr 2020, 15:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 15:29
PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 14:58
If you don't want tearing, 141fps at 144Hz is your best bet. Enabling NULL at default settings is a good idea, although VSYNC ON / NULL doesn't activate often during 141fps cap. Caps are imperfect, some frames are 1/130sec and some frames are 1/150sec, to average the cap, and only the "fast" frame times gets the alternate sync technology treatment (e.g. VSYNC ON + NULL).

The bottom line -- keep it easy -- as long as you cap a few fps below Hz, the sync settings you configure doesn't apply very often because the fallback sync technologies only triggers at frame rates equaling or exceeding Hz.

Be noted,
- 141fps cap at 240Hz VRR is lower-lag because of lower scan-out latency.
- 237fps cap at 240Hz is even better.
So, in the long term, you should consider an upgrade to 240Hz (or even 280 Hz or 360 Hz), if you plan to play lots of competitive CS:GO.

CS:GO wants to run at ultra-high frame rates (300fps+) so there are significant competitive improvements getting a 240Hz+ G-SYNC monitor for CS:GO if you love to play with G-SYNC.
I have a gtx 1070, i7 8700k and 16gb ram, for apex legends, to make it run smooth and with minimum input lag, the best option is gsync +141 fps limit? do i need null too for make it even better?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Apr 2020, 16:06

PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 15:42
I have a gtx 1070, i7 8700k and 16gb ram, for apex legends, to make it run smooth and with minimum input lag, the best option is gsync +141 fps limit? do i need null too for make it even better?
NULL helps more if you're not capping.

Use an in-game cap and the sync settings (other than G-SYNC) will usually not matter since NULL would typically only activate for frame rates equalling max Hz.

If you want even lower lag, 300fps VSYNC OFF can be helpful, as an advantage of frame rates above refresh rates. However, if you hate tearing, capped G-SYNC is one of the lowest lag alternative.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PeppexITA

Post by PeppexITA » 23 Apr 2020, 16:11

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:06
PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 15:42
NULL helps more if you're not capping.

Use an in-game cap and the sync settings (other than G-SYNC) will usually not matter since NULL would typically only activate for frame rates equalling max Hz.

If you want even lower lag, 300fps VSYNC OFF can be helpful, as an advantage of frame rates above refresh rates. However, if you hate tearing, capped G-SYNC is one of the lowest lag alternative.
the problem is the fps goes from 200 to 100 on apex on low settings, and i don't see it smooth, what happens if i gsync+141fps limit+null ultra?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Apr 2020, 16:15

PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:11
the problem is the fps goes from 200 to 100 on apex on low settings, and i don't see it smooth, what happens if i gsync+141fps limit+null ultra?
Use NULL at default settings (not Ultra) if you use that with G-SYNC.

NULL lag-savings is simply a backup to G-SYNC lag-savings.

NULL only activates when the cap is exceeded.

Which means NULL makes no difference when there's a good cap below Hz. NULL on/off makes no difference if frametimes are always within refresh rate range. Enabling NULL at the same time as G-SYNC is fine, it generally doesn't make much difference when the cap is well below Hz.

For uncapped NULL (non-GSYNC) versus capped G-SYNC (NULL on/off), the capped G-SYNC is typically better (lower lag) for in-game frame rate caps.

141fps at 144Hz is the best way to smooth things out without tearing or excess latency.

From worst to best, for most games
(Laggiest) - G-SYNC + VSYNC ON only + no cap
(Less lag) - G-SYNC + VSYNC ON + NULL without cap
(Even less) - G-SYNC + in-game framerate cap below Hz (regardless of setting VSYNC ON/OFF/NULL)

They can overlap somewhat. Make sure to disable VSYNC in your video games (even if you use VSYNC ON in NVIDIA Control Panel), this will allow the game to run at their lowest-lag behaviour with G-SYNC.

jorim can add more info to this.

PeppexITA

Post by PeppexITA » 23 Apr 2020, 16:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:15
PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:11
Use NULL at default settings (not Ultra) if you use that with G-SYNC.

NULL lag-savings is simply a backup to G-SYNC lag-savings.

NULL only activates when the cap is exceeded.

Which means NULL makes no difference when there's a good cap below Hz. NULL on/off makes no difference if frametimes are always within refresh rate range. Enabling NULL at the same time as G-SYNC is fine, it generally doesn't make much difference when the cap is well below Hz.

For uncapped NULL (non-GSYNC) versus capped G-SYNC (NULL on/off), the capped G-SYNC is typically better (lower lag) for in-game frame rate caps.

141fps at 144Hz is the best way to smooth things out without tearing or excess latency.

From worst to best, for most games
(Laggiest) - G-SYNC + VSYNC ON only + no cap
(Less lag) - G-SYNC + VSYNC ON + NULL without cap
(Even less) - G-SYNC + in-game framerate cap below Hz (regardless of setting VSYNC ON/OFF/NULL)

They can overlap somewhat. Make sure to disable VSYNC in your video games (even if you use VSYNC ON in NVIDIA Control Panel), this will allow the game to run at their lowest-lag behaviour with G-SYNC.

jorim can add more info to this.
so the best setting for apex is gsync+141fps limit+null on? Im so bad in those things sorry (fps limiter with rivatuner or game limiter from origin for apex?)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 23 Apr 2020, 17:09

PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:43
so the best setting for apex is gsync+141fps limit+null on? Im so bad in those things sorry (fps limiter with rivatuner or game limiter from origin for apex?)
For lowest lag no-tear G-SYNC configuration in Apex:
G-SYNC enabled + NVCP V-SYNC "On" + Low Latency Mode "On" + in-game V-SYNC "Disabled" + in-game "Display Mode" set to "Full Screen" under "Video" options + minimum 141 FPS in-game limit @144Hz (Origin > My Game Library > Apex Legends > cog icon > Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options > input +FPS_max 141 without quotes in "Command Line Options," save).

For lowest possible input lag, set +FPS_max number to a framerate your system can sustain 99% of the time without maxing out your GPU usage. This is optional, but will even further reduce the pre-rendered frames queue over Low Latency Mode "On," but will also obviously lower your possible average framerate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

PeppexITA

Post by PeppexITA » 23 Apr 2020, 17:34

jorimt wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 17:09
PeppexITA wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 16:43
For lowest lag no-tear G-SYNC configuration in Apex:
G-SYNC enabled + NVCP V-SYNC "On" + Low Latency Mode "On" + in-game V-SYNC "Disabled" + in-game "Display Mode" set to "Full Screen" under "Video" options + minimum 141 FPS in-game limit @144Hz (Origin > My Game Library > Apex Legends > cog icon > Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options > input +FPS_max 141 without quotes in "Command Line Options," save).

For lowest possible input lag, set +FPS_max number to a framerate your system can sustain 99% of the time without maxing out your GPU usage. This is optional, but will even further reduce the pre-rendered frames queue over Low Latency Mode "On," but will also obviously lower your possible average framerate.
what if i dont care about tearing and i disable vsync? I dont even notice tearing, i only want to be smooth