G-Sync smoother or higher FPS smoother?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
siavik

G-Sync smoother or higher FPS smoother?

Post by siavik » 25 Apr 2020, 16:08

Im gonna upgrade my gpu and monitor so that eventually I can games play on 1440p 144hz. I currently have nvidia 1060 and and old gsync monitor.My problem is I can only afford one upgrade right now so Im looking at the RX 5700 and upgrade my gpu to that first since its much cheaper than the nvidia counterparts. I know Ill lose g sync but my fps will be above 144 for most games so my question is:

If my future AMD GPU gives me 150+ fps on my GSYNC 144hz monitor, and I enable V-Sync in game or I believe "enhanced-sync" in the AMD control panel to avoid screen tearing.

Will this will look smoother than a Nvidia GPU at 130fps with G-Sync because you will have a higher framerate?

Im scared of "upgrading" my graphics card to a AMD and end up actually downgrading my graphics on my current g sync only monitor till I get my new fresync monitor(not anytime soon). Thanks :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync smoother or higher FPS smoother?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2020, 16:41

Worse.

150fps non-GSYNC at 144Hz will be more stuttery than GSYNC 141fps at 144Hz.

You can test it today by:
1. Turn off G-SYNC
2. Enable VSYNC OFF or Fast Sync
3. Enable 150fps cap in an older game that runs high frame rates on your current GPU (like CS:GO in bot mode)
4. Try moving around and witness the microstuttering caused by the fps-vs-Hz mismatch.

So you can test today to see what you will be getting in the future.
Then you will see the problem you will get, no matter AMD or NVIDIA.

Use NVIDIA Fast Sync as a parallel to AMD Enhanced Sync.

FPS-vs-Hz mismatch microstuttering can still remain visible for frame rates above refresh rates, though overkill frame rates (e.g. 500fps at 144Hz) will reduce the microstuttering. But there will be amplified harmonic microstuttering -- at the beat-frequency. A 150fps cap at 144Hz will create 6 stutters per second (the difference between 150 and 144). To make beat-frequency stuttering much fainter will require overkill frame rates far beyond Hz, or using multiples (e.g. 144fps, 288fps, etc).

For fps-mismatch-Hz during non-VRR (any sync tech, VSYNC OFF, Enhanced Sync, Fast Sync), you will usually get:

141fps at 144Hz = 3 microstutters per second
142fps at 144Hz = 2 microstutters per second
143fps at 144Hz = 1 microstutters per second

145fps at 144Hz = 1 microstutter per second
146fps at 144Hz = 2 microstutters per second
147fps at 144Hz = 3 microstutters per second

So you have to really go overkill beyond to brute-force all those microstutters away. Like 300fps or 500fps. Or use multiples like 144fps or 288fps to get things fully smooth again.

If you hate stutters -- then if you want smooth gaming without VRR, then you will want to use VSYNC ON (or one of the low lag equivalents) and make sure fps=Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

siavik

Post by siavik » 25 Apr 2020, 20:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 16:41
Worse.

150fps non-GSYNC at 144Hz will be more stuttery than GSYNC 141fps at 144Hz.

You can test it today by:
1. Turn off G-SYNC
2. Enable VSYNC OFF or Fast Sync
3. Enable 150fps cap in an older game that runs high frame rates on your current GPU (like CS:GO in bot mode)
4. Try moving around and witness the microstuttering caused by the fps-vs-Hz mismatch.

So you can test today to see what you will be getting in the future.
Then you will see the problem you will get, no matter AMD or NVIDIA.

Use NVIDIA Fast Sync as a parallel to AMD Enhanced Sync.

FPS-vs-Hz mismatch microstuttering can still remain visible for frame rates above refresh rates, though overkill frame rates (e.g. 500fps at 144Hz) will reduce the microstuttering. But there will be amplified harmonic microstuttering -- at the beat-frequency. A 150fps cap at 144Hz will create 6 stutters per second (the difference between 150 and 144). To make beat-frequency stuttering much fainter will require overkill frame rates far beyond Hz, or using multiples (e.g. 144fps, 288fps, etc).

For fps-mismatch-Hz during non-VRR (any sync tech, VSYNC OFF, Enhanced Sync, Fast Sync), you will usually get:

141fps at 144Hz = 3 microstutters per second
142fps at 144Hz = 2 microstutters per second
143fps at 144Hz = 1 microstutters per second

145fps at 144Hz = 1 microstutter per second
146fps at 144Hz = 2 microstutters per second
147fps at 144Hz = 3 microstutters per second

So you have to really go overkill beyond to brute-force all those microstutters away. Like 300fps or 500fps. Or use multiples like 144fps or 288fps to get things fully smooth again.

If you hate stutters -- then if you want smooth gaming without VRR, then you will want to use VSYNC ON (or one of the low lag equivalents) and make sure fps=Hz.
First off thanks for the in depth explanation it helped out A LOT to understand. When I asked the question I I read this on another forum

"The benefit of enhanced sync is for those that say, purchased a GSync monitor to compliment their 1080Ti, then got a dank RX VEGA but couldn't get a freesync monitor yet but wanted a lack of tearing."

This is kind of the situation im in.Would you say this is accurate? Say I keep my current 144hz gsync monitor and I get the rx 5700. I would have enhanced sync + vsync that is offered thru in game setting + raedon chill to work with. Is there is no way I can somehow combine these options to give me equal or better performance then with my 1060 and same 144hz g sync monitor? By performance I mean stutters/tearing

YukonTrooper

Post by YukonTrooper » 27 Apr 2020, 02:52

You can only get similar tearing/skipping performance under certain conditions and with caveats. Adaptive sync doesn't have any equals in what it can achieve.

Based on rumored performance of the next gen Nvidia cards, RTX should see a significant price reduction. Maybe best to hold out until then.