Escape from Tarkov "Best" Gsync Setup

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Hungerr

Escape from Tarkov "Best" Gsync Setup

Post by Hungerr » 27 Apr 2020, 07:38

So im playing arround with Gsync on escape from tarkov.
I have set the recommended "best" Gsync settings in general for tarkov but i have a small issue.

General Gsync recommended settings suggest to cap your FPS either ingame or outside (RTSS or Nvidia Fps limiter) to 3 fps lower than your maximum refresh rate. In my 144hz monitor that would be 141 fps.

The problem i have is that Tarkov has a native FPS limit of 120 ingame.

There is a work arround for this limit, in wich you Disable Nvidia´s Vsync and enable Vsync ingame. This is a bug, but it "unlocks" your fps, and you can go beyond 120 fps limit.

I have a RTX 2070 Super. With fps unlocked i can hit over 144+ fps on "factory" the most basic and less demanding tarkov map.

So here i have some questions. Since the "recommended Gsync settings" state that you should have your fps running as close as your refresh rate (in my case 141), how detrimental to my input lag / microstutters is the fact that the game is limiting itself already to 120 fps?

What will the result of Running Gsync on + Vsync Off (nvidia control panel) + Vsync ON (ingame) to unlock fps completely but locking fps cap to 141 with RTSS?

Is this a decent work arround for the lame maximum fps limiter the game has?

jorimt

Re: Escape from Tarkov "Best" Gsync Setup

Post by jorimt » 27 Apr 2020, 07:50

Hungerr wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 07:38
General Gsync recommended settings suggest to cap your FPS either ingame or outside (RTSS or Nvidia Fps limiter) to 3 fps lower than your maximum refresh rate. In my 144hz monitor that would be 141 fps.
A minimum of 3 FPS below your refresh rate, it doesn't have to be that exact number. It's merely to keep the framerate within G-SYNC range at all times if your system can otherwise exceed it.
Hungerr wrote:
That's perfectly fine, as at 144Hz, you're now 24 FPS within the G-SYNC range. No further limiting needed.
Hungerr wrote:
So here i have some questions. Since the "recommended Gsync settings" state that you should have your fps running as close as your refresh rate (in my case 141), how detrimental to my input lag / microstutters is the fact that the game is limiting itself already to 120 fps?
With G-SYNC, none at all. It was built for variable framerates within the refresh rate.
Hungerr wrote:
What will the result of Running Gsync on + Vsync Off (nvidia control panel) + Vsync ON (ingame) to unlock fps completely but locking fps cap to 141 with RTSS?
Possibly steadier frametime, but in turn, possibly higher input lag (up to 1 frame) over the in-game limiter. Either that scenario or G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC + in-game FPS limit is fine though.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Hungerr

Re: Escape from Tarkov "Best" Gsync Setup

Post by Hungerr » 27 Apr 2020, 08:01

jorimt wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 07:50
Hungerr wrote:
A minimum of 3 FPS below your refresh rate, it doesn't have to be that exact number. It's merely to keep the framerate within G-SYNC range at all times if your system can otherwise exceed it.
Hungerr wrote:
That's perfectly fine, as at 144Hz, you're now 24 FPS within the G-SYNC range. No further limiting needed.
Hungerr wrote:
With G-SYNC, none at all. It was built for variable framerates within the refresh rate.
Hungerr wrote:
Possibly steadier frametime, but in turn, possibly higher input lag (up to 1 frame) over the in-game limiter. Either that scenario or G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC + in-game FPS limit is fine though.
Thanks for your Quick response. I guess i will try both scenarios and see what "feels better".