Help, Z35P, disconnections

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Ianrivaldosmith

Help, Z35P, disconnections

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 16 May 2020, 16:30

Hi, first time post, long time lurker. Gained lots of valuable advice!

My problem is:-

During some games With G-Sync My frame rates fluctuate between 40-100, sometimes they drop to 30 and g-sync switches over to vsync. I assume that’s what’s happening, and that’s no problem.

However, what is happening is when the frames are in G-sync range, it’s working fine, but, randomly, it’s disconnecting. What I mean by that Is, I’m plodding along at 50fps. It’s synced to 50 on my refresh rate (I use the monitor to check) then all of a sudden, it disconnects, causing a jolt, and the refresh rate shoots up back to 120hz (my max rate). I pan around for 1-2 seconds and the gsync re-captures the FPS, and syncs back.

What is going on?!

Ianrivaldosmith

Re: Help, Z35P, disconnections

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 17 May 2020, 16:53

Also, I did read the g-sync range should be 30-120hz. I tested with the pendulum demo and it a disconnecting at 38fps. Same as in games. As soon as it disconnects, the refresh rate shoots back up to 120hz.... is this normal?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 May 2020, 17:21

No, that is not normal.
The only side effect of going near or below min Hz should be slight erratic stutter.

That sounds like some kind of a bug (driver or firmware or model or Windows).

-- Do you see a mode switch blackout (1-2 seconds)?
-- Which GPU are you using?
-- Which graphics drivers are you using? Latest version?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ianrivaldosmith

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 17 May 2020, 18:00

It’s driving me crazy!
Just tested the pedlum demo again. I set the frames from 30-60.
When I drop below 38 frames, gsync disconnects and the refresh rate shoots back to 120hz. As the frame rate approaches 50+ again, Gsync re enables, until it drops below 38 frames and the same thing happens again. As you can imagine, in games this is a nightmare.

It’s a acer Z35P and I’m running a gtx2080ti using the latest Nvidia drivers. I have no blackout when it occurs.

Grateful for any help before it drives me insane!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 May 2020, 18:04

Hmmm. So it is interfering with your games already. Ouch.

Let me reach out to somebody and figure out why this is going on.
This is an unusual abberant G-SYNC behaviour (possibly model-specific + card-specific).

-- You didn't do any refresh rate tweaking? (No use of CRU or other utilities)
-- Does this happen with single-monitor? (No secondary monitors, laptop screens or television screens, for Hz-interference)
-- Also, are you able to do a clean driver reinstall with default NVIDIA settings? In other words, you reinstalled your graphics drivers completely, with no NVIDIA Control Panel settings tweaked?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ianrivaldosmith

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 17 May 2020, 18:15

Thank you! I’ve been trying to figure this out for weeks! I’m at my wits end.

My Nvidia settings are to prefer maximum refresh rate. And gsync enabled for full screen and windowed (but I’ve tried Full screen only.)
I’ve no idea what CRU is?
I have a second bog standard 60hz monitor. I’ve tried With it on, and with it disabled. Same effect.

I could remove my drivers and re install fresh? I have only ever updated my drivers once, had the PC since November.

Ianrivaldosmith

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 20 May 2020, 07:46

Just an update:-

I purchased an LG UltraGear 38GL950G to test. Works perfect, no flickering either. This screen is insane!

So, I’ve sent the Z35P to acer for repair, and then I’ll sell it. I assume it needs a new g-sync module.

gpk

Post by gpk » 25 Jun 2021, 15:38

Hmm any updates? Have the same <38FPS g-sync stops working issue (no tweaks, single and mulit-monitor, RTX3080 )
This seems like like a Z35P issue and iirc it is clearly billed as a 30-120hz GSYNC screen.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2021, 15:41

gpk wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 15:38
Hmm any updates? Have the same <38FPS g-sync stops working issue (no tweaks, single and mulit-monitor, RTX3080 )
This seems like like a Z35P issue and iirc it is clearly billed as a 30-120hz GSYNC screen.
It additionally, may be a bug in NVIDIA drivers. Try different drivers (WHQL versus NVIDIA, or newer NVIDIA versus older NVIDIA).

Also temporarily borrow a computer with an AMD Radeon to verify if it's monitor-side or NVIDIA-side.

Additionally, if other Z35P users aren't reporting this, then there is possibly an undiagnosed defect that qualifies under RMA, that is unrelated to some of what I wrote earlier.

Ianrivaldosmith

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 25 Jun 2021, 15:58

I had mine refunded. I had it in for repair twice, and each time acer didn’t even know what G-Sync was, never mind fix it! I am
Being serious too. I got a refund off Amazon.