Viewsonic Elite XG270 Screen goes black

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Swizz

Viewsonic Elite XG270 Screen goes black

Post by Swizz » 29 May 2020, 11:13

Hello, new to these forums so I hope I am in the right place. My brother just bought a Viewsonic Elite XG270 240hz blur busters approved monitor. However, whenever he starts a game the screen will turn off and on. I found a video on youtube that demonstrates exactly whats happening.

https://youtu.be/0JX3DdyqSNQ

We have tried with Gysnc on and off.
We have tried lowering the hz to 144 instead of 240.
We have tried both borderless and fullscreen.
Graphics card GTX 1070 SC 8GB

Really frustrating after spending over 400$ on a new monitor. I myself use the Viewsonic Elite XG270QC (the 1440p 165hz version) with a GTX 2070 Super and I have had no issues and love it. I just can't seem to figure out why he is getting this flickering.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic Elite XG270 Screen goes black

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2020, 11:47

Question:

Cause #1:
A bad/loose DisplayPort cable or port is also a secondary cause of screen going randomly black. Try a different DisplayPort port, and also a different DisplayPort cable.

Cause #2
Have the monitor upgraded its firmware yet via Viewsonic Elite Display Controller?
A new monitor firmware is out already, which fixes some known issues.
1. Connect USB3 cable (included with monitor) to the USB hub built into monitor
2. Install www.viewsonic.com/elite/display-controller/
3. When prompted to upgrade firmware, proceed

Cause #3
Refresh rate range bug in drivers if this ONLY happens during VRR. Using ToastyX to edit refresh rate range to use 55Hz-240Hz instead of 48Hz-240Hz can help reduce the low-framerate flickering problem. But you said this problem happens even without VRR?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Swizz

Post by Swizz » 29 May 2020, 12:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 May 2020, 11:47
Question:

Cause #1:
A bad/loose DisplayPort cable or port is also a secondary cause of screen going randomly black. Try a different DisplayPort port, and also a different DisplayPort cable.

Cause #2
Have the monitor upgraded its firmware yet via Viewsonic Elite Display Controller?
A new monitor firmware is out already, which fixes some known issues.
1. Connect USB3 cable (included with monitor) to the USB hub built into monitor
2. Install www.viewsonic.com/elite/display-controller/
3. When prompted to upgrade firmware, proceed

Cause #3
Refresh rate range bug in drivers if this ONLY happens during VRR. Using ToastyX to edit refresh rate range to use 55Hz-240Hz instead of 48Hz-240Hz can help reduce the low-framerate flickering problem. But you said this problem happens even without VRR?
**EDIT**UPDATE** I had him turn off Gsync and restart the computer and make sure Gsync was turned off (I am guessing he didn't turn it off when I originally told him to for testing) and the monitor does not do the black screen flicker. So it's relating to Gsync? Why would Gsync cause that??

I will have him check the display port cable again an have him plug it into a different slot on the Graphics card. I will see if he has another cord to try.

Firmware has been updated via the display controller.

I have not adjusted any VRR ranges, only changing the display from ititialluy up to 240hz then had him turn down to 144hz

Its weird, he had it not happen on games if he was in borderless mode. But most of the time as soon as he starts a game, the monitor starts repeatedly going black off and on.

KissyKissy

Post by KissyKissy » 13 Jun 2020, 05:10

I had the exact same issue as you described with this monitor and I resolved it by reinstalling the nvidia game ready drivers. During the installation you will have an option "reset configuration to default and remove any profiles". Make sure you turn this on.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2020, 12:07

KissyKissy wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 05:10
I had the exact same issue as you described with this monitor and I resolved it by reinstalling the nvidia game ready drivers. During the installation you will have an option "reset configuration to default and remove any profiles". Make sure you turn this on.
I know that an earlier version of NVIDIA drivers had bugs with multiple earlier FreeSync monitors in G-SYNC Compatible mode.

Upgrading NVIDIA drivers (clean method) have often helped -- "Reset Configuration" is indeed highly recommended when enabling FreeSync support with the ViewSonic XG270.

Glad the newest drivers fixed it for you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BlueWaterGirl

Post by BlueWaterGirl » 16 Jun 2020, 20:25

I seem to be having this same issue when playing Modern Warfare, screen will go black here and there. For some reason the Viewsonic Elite Display Controller won't start on my PC no matter what I do, it acts like it's going to start but will disappear.

Immelman

Post by Immelman » 05 Jul 2020, 08:45

I have the same issue right now, I can't start the Elite Display Controller any more. Did you solve this? If you did can you tell me how please

donnie

Post by donnie » 07 Jul 2020, 09:13

This is a well known issue. You need to modify the VRR range in CRU.

https://ibb.co/fn42Rk4

Above the image of how I set it, and it works without any black screens anymore.

vonkar

Post by vonkar » 12 Jul 2020, 16:22

Hi, i have a same problem and i can t start the elite display controller too. (it close automatically)

i had modify VRR range, nothing.

But if i stop G sync, i think have any problem !!

(sorry my english is very bad)

fieldgoal00

Post by fieldgoal00 » 26 Apr 2021, 09:02

I too have a Viewsonic XG270QG that I'm running with a EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX-3090 card @ 1440P/165HZ. I was having the monitor randomly lose input during gaming, and sometime while it was just on my desktop. Sometimes it would go black and come back showing "Input - Displayport" at the top right of the screen as if it was losing the input and getting it back again. Sometimes it will do this 3-4-5 times back to back and then resume normal operation.

I contacted Viewsonic and they sent me a new monitor because of this. Upon installing the new monitor, the new monitor is doing the same thing.

Is the solution you guys mentioned above, turning G-Sync off, the only way to fix this? If so, why are we all spending $$$ on G-SYNC monitors if we can't use it?