G-Sync vs ULMB ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
NIghtcorey

G-Sync vs ULMB ?

Post by NIghtcorey » 20 Jun 2020, 06:09

Hey guys,

I am researching what is the best settings for my PC to have minimal Input Lag in order to play Valorant on competitive level.
Here is my setup:
i9 9900K
RTX 2080
Alienware 240 Hz with G-Sync and ULMB capabilities

In Valorant, I cap my FPS to 300 as it remains quite stable at that point. However, on Blurbusters I noticed different recommendation for G-Sync enabled monitors:
G-Sync and V-Sync: ON
Low Latency: ULTRA
FPS Cap will be automatically set to 225 FPS.

I wonder if this is the best setting for my setup and where I want minimal input lag?

I am currently testing:
ULMB
Low Latency ULTRA
This caps my FPS to 240 in-game.

What do you guys think?

deama

Re: G-Sync vs ULMB ?

Post by deama » 27 Jun 2020, 08:21

If you're GPU isn't going above 95%, disable low latency mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CKnJ5ujL_Q

Since it's valorent, I'd say disable hyperthreading and fixing your CPU clock, or at least disable hyperthreading (SMT for amd) to reduce latencies, in AMD in particular this can give you a 50% reduction in latency (not actual input latency, access latency which will translate to either higher fps, or less 1%/0.1% fps dips.

From my experience, gsync is a scam, I have a friend who's had a gsync monitor for about 1-2 years now and when I asked him to disable it and go through some tweaking to see if he got similiar results as I did with input lag, he immediately noticed games were much smoother with gsync off and after tweaking with RTSS's scanline sync. After using the presentmon.exe to measure one of the input lag delays (not entire input lag chain, just part of it), it showed a reduction of about 20ms and it made it more stable as well (less stutters).
It could have just been a crappy gsync implementation, but for a £700 monitor, I'm not sure.
This may not apply if you're playing on fullscreen exclusive mode.

Since were talking about a multiplayer game here, you might also want to do the bufferbloat tweak which makes your internet latency more consistent. In addition to general internet tweaking to reduce the "I died even though I was behind a wall!!!!" scenarios
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUEhXx42DzY

You could go to even more in depth tweaking to squeeze out more, but the above are the main ones. The channels mentioned above go into more in depth, so you can go through them if you still want to squeeze out even more.

Also, what keyboard you using?