G-SYNC and mouse cursor fluidity

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
applejack

G-SYNC and mouse cursor fluidity

Post by applejack » 26 Apr 2014, 11:38

it seems that in many games, especially at their in-game menus, the graphics engine may be capped at 60fps, while the mouse cursor is separately drawn to match refresh rate (say, 144fps).

so with G-SYNC, in many cases where you can see the cursor (menus or strategy games etc..), its movement smoothness is now dependent on game's fps, while it isn't always the case with just V-Sync, where the cursor stays smooth in most cases, regardless of fps.

am I the only one to notice this ?
yea its not a deal-breaker but it is somewhat a downside, even though it has nothing to do with input lag.

fenderjaguar

Re: G-SYNC and mouse cursor fluidity

Post by fenderjaguar » 26 Apr 2014, 14:07

Yep, one of the first things I noticed. To be expected, since your frame rate is now your refresh.

CoMa

Post by CoMa » 06 Jun 2014, 12:08

so no news about this?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 06 Jun 2014, 12:28

CoMa wrote:so no news about this?
I don't know what else you could expect? If the screen is running at 30hz, then your mouse polling rate will be the same.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2014, 19:27

fenderjaguar wrote:
CoMa wrote:so no news about this?
I don't know what else you could expect? If the screen is running at 30hz, then your mouse cursor frame rate will be the same.
Fixed that for you --
Mouse polling rate is unaffected. However, the variable refresh rate can actually slow down refreshes during certain moments such as menus, which can make the mouse cursor more choppy.
applejack wrote:am I the only one to notice this ?
yea its not a deal-breaker but it is somewhat a downside, even though it has nothing to do with input lag.
I notice this too. This is normal.

The mouse cursor now has to run at the same framerate as the refreshrate. So if menu was 60fps and cursor was 144fps, now you've got a 60fps cursor instead of 144fps cursor. This is normal. Ideally game makers should make menus run at full framerate matching the monitor's maximum refresh rate (e.g. 144fps).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Hel1011

Post by Hel1011 » 06 Sep 2014, 16:13

Does this mean that when fps fall in the 30-60 range ingame there will also be noticeable stuttering like in the menus. This would make gsync pretty pointless if the net effect in these lower framerates would be more choppy than without gsync

applejack

Post by applejack » 06 Sep 2014, 20:43

it would only matter in a game which utilize a mouse cursor in-game, that is normally drawn at higher fps than the actual fps the game is rendered at (which is not always the case to begin with).