I really need help on this G-sync flickering issue.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PedroDruisca

I really need help on this G-sync flickering issue.

Post by PedroDruisca » 27 Jun 2020, 13:37

I bought a new monitor last week. An expensive monitor, but its beautiful. It is the Asus RoG PG349Q.

I have my laptop (RoG G752VT) connected to it through the MiniDP to DP cable, running as a duplicate screen to the monitor, with the lid of the laptop closed down while running.

When I have G-sync on, I get these random flickers, if it is called that. The screen will occasionally go black for half a second, and do it once or twice. This will happen randomly during games or when I am minimising programs.
phpBB [video]

BUT, when I have G-sync on whilst the laptop screen is up, the flickering never happens on the monitor.

I have been racking my brain on this for days, and I am at my wits end. I have tried asking for help on several different sites and forums, and I have been ignored on all. :cry: I have spent so much money on this thing, and I just want it to perform at it's best.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening, and what I can do about it?

jorimt

Re: I really need help on this G-sync flickering issue.

Post by jorimt » 27 Jun 2020, 14:23

PedroDruisca wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 13:37
I have my laptop (RoG G752VT) connected to it through the MiniDP to DP cable, running as a duplicate screen to the monitor, with the lid of the laptop closed down while running.

When I have G-sync on, I get these random flickers, if it is called that. The screen will occasionally go black for half a second, and do it once or twice. This will happen randomly during games or when I am minimising programs.
phpBB [video]

BUT, when I have G-sync on whilst the laptop screen is up, the flickering never happens on the monitor.
Hmm, That's not a typical setup; laptop w/built-in G-SYNC display connected to an external G-SYNC monitor (containing a hardware module) + a DP converter cable + duplicate screen.

There's a lot of possible issues that could occur with that combo, but let's start with the simplest possibilities first.

1. Do you have G-SYNC set to "Enable for full screen mode" or "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"? If the latter, try setting it to the former and running your game(s) in exclusive fullscreen.
2. Have you tried win + p on the keyboard and setting it to "Second screen only" when the laptop is closed?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

PedroDruisca

Post by PedroDruisca » 27 Jun 2020, 14:50

Thank you for coming to my aid.

I have tried with both the "full screen mode" and "windowed and full screen", but no change.

When the laptop lid is closed, the external monitor is the only display that is recognised. When I try to set "second screen only", it will just go back to "PC screen only".

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 27 Jun 2020, 17:10

PedroDruisca wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 14:50
When the laptop lid is closed, the external monitor is the only display that is recognised.
I thought that might be the case. And the flicker/blackouts don't happen with the laptop closed and G-SYNC disabled on the external monitor, correct?

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

PedroDruisca

Post by PedroDruisca » 28 Jun 2020, 02:42

jorimt wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 17:10
PedroDruisca wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 14:50
When the laptop lid is closed, the external monitor is the only display that is recognised.
I thought that might be the case. And the flicker/blackouts don't happen with the laptop closed and G-SYNC disabled on the external monitor, correct?
That is correct.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Jun 2020, 06:43

PedroDruisca wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 02:42
That is correct.
I imagine you don't have a desktop PC with a discrete Nvidia GPU that you can test to rule out the external monitor itself, right? Regardless, I'm guessing it's just a quirk of the laptop, because I looked into that model, and since it doesn't appear to feature Optimus, it means it's running from the discrete GPU at all times (what you want in this case).

I also did a few Google searches, and nothing like your situation (not even anything similar) is coming up, so there's not much precedence to pull from for troubleshooting this. As I said originally, while this obviously doesn't help, it is worth noting your use case is rare.

My only advice at this point is to try a different Mini DP to DP cable (maybe one with 1.4 and higher quality; not sure if you're already using one, or an adapter + another cable instead of just a single cable with mini head on one end and full on the other). If that doesn't do it, you'll probably just have to resort to keeping the laptop lid open (and turned around to avoid distraction?) when using the external display in G-SYNC mode.

Also, curious, but does this happen when you have the laptop lid open and set only to the external display with win + p?

PedroDruisca

Post by PedroDruisca » 28 Jun 2020, 09:21

jorimt wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 06:43

Also, curious, but does this happen when you have the laptop lid open and set only to the external display with win + p?
No, the problem doesn't occur like this either.

This is the current cable I am using: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0163LQUH6 ... rom_1?th=1
and I was thinking of getting a new cable just in case, so will try a 1.4.

I also don't have a desktop, but I am probably going to get a newer laptop in the near future, and will see if the problem occurs then too. It will likely be this one: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Lap ... LWS-HG029T

I really appreciate the help.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Jun 2020, 13:26

PedroDruisca wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 09:21
No, the problem doesn't occur like this either.
Interesting; it definitely appears to be directly related to the laptop lid being closed then.
PedroDruisca wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 09:21
This is the current cable I am using: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0163LQUH6 ... rom_1?th=1
and I was thinking of getting a new cable just in case, so will try a 1.4.
That one looks fine, and FYI, there's no functional difference between Mini/full-size DP, so a new/1.4 cable probably won't fix this, but if you want to rule everything out, that is an option regardless.

My guess is it's simply how the laptop handles the display protocol with the lid shut, which is certainly unfortunate.

PedroDruisca

Post by PedroDruisca » 07 Jul 2020, 10:03

Just providing an update; for whatever reason, the problem is fixed, and I cannot explain why.

I had decided to leave G-sync off for about a week. Then the other day, I turned it back on, and loaded up GTA V. Running it in windowed borderless, crashed, and gave me massive FPS drops from the get go during logo loadup and main menu. Switched it to fullscreen, and worked flawlessly.

Did tests with other stuff, like minimising programs, and no flickering at all now on anything, even desktop. This is with the laptop lid down, and just using the external monitor.

I have no idea what changed, or if there was an update, but all is good.

I will be upgrading my laptop to a G732lws very soon also, so will test with that aswell.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 07 Jul 2020, 10:18

PedroDruisca wrote:
Good to hear :)