New gsync monitor 240hz 1440p optimal settings

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
optimalperformance

New gsync monitor 240hz 1440p optimal settings

Post by optimalperformance » 02 Jul 2020, 05:54

I got this new monitor today.

2560x1440 resolution
Gsync
240 hz

Main game : Hunt Showdown ( FPS )
NVCP vsync ON
NVCP low latency OFF
GAME vsync OFF
NO fps limiter

While playing im hovering around 120-160 fps depending on the scene.
I never come close to the 240 fps range so is it even necessary to limit my fps to -3 under 240 ?
And also is it better to jump up and down 120-160 fps or should i lock it to where im stable lets say 120?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New gsync monitor 240hz 1440p optimal settings

Post by RealNC » 02 Jul 2020, 06:08

optimalperformance wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 05:54
I never come close to the 240 fps range so is it even necessary to limit my fps to -3 under 240 ?
It's not necessary then, but it doesn't hurt either.
And also is it better to jump up and down 120-160 fps or should i lock it to where im stable lets say 120?
It's up to you. I don't like the feeling when FPS changes too much. I like the game to be consistent. So I try to limit my FPS to a value the particular game I'm playing is able to reach most of the time. For example if the game is able to reach at least 100FPS most of the time, with some dips here and there to 90 or 85 or so, I cap it to 100FPS. Having the game's FPS vary between 85-100 feels much more consistent than having it jump from 85 up to 170 for a short while, then back again.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

optimalperformance

Post by optimalperformance » 02 Jul 2020, 07:06

I never go below 120fps so capping it at that would be fine?
I posted a image to better unstand my questions and my setup:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jul 2020, 12:41

Settings look good.
optimalperformance wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 05:54
It's harmless to add a cap that is never hit.

--> Are you playing competitively?
--> Are you prioritizing to motion quality?

You can test the effects of a cap by temporarily reducing your resolution and testing a game that runs at really high frame rates, such as some indie games or older games. Hitting the max-Hz of a VRR range is less of an issue than it was in 2015 due to improvements (NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency settings), allowing you to simply use VSYNC ON to do its job. This is good enough for most casual gamers, as the lag differentials will be extremely tiny.

Locking the framerate is less important if you aren't worried about lagfeel changes. Fluctuating frametimes can create fluctuating lagfeel, but if you can't feel it then it doesn't matter -- good VRR compatible games will look better if you let the framerate float organically within its VRR range. Be noted that lagfeel difference of 1/120sec (8.33ms) versus 1/160sec (6.25ms) is extremely minor, and more relevant from an "aim training" perspective (see the 2nd post in the Milliseconds Matters thread), which is more relevant if you're playing competitively. In that case, consistent framerates can improve aim training.

Now if you're simply wanting motion quality, the higher framerate the better for G-SYNC obviously! So there's a rationale to just let the frame rate breathe. On G-SYNC, the frame rate is the refresh rate, and the refresh rate is the frame rate, and framerate changes can go stutterless -- and it feels fluid even with a 120-160 fluctuation. And 160 looks better than 120 -- you already notice higher framerates have less motion blur and less stroboscopic stepping effects.

That said, if you're picky about latency-feel or motion-feel changes, it's good to briefly test a low-rez and see how your VRR behaves at max Hz. (Does it start tearing/jittering? Does it start lagging?). If it maxes out with no feelable effects and you don't play competitively, then you may not care as much about a cap.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!