G-sync problem in windowed mode

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
frallan123

G-sync problem in windowed mode

Post by frallan123 » 04 Jul 2020, 17:01

Hi

I'm having issues with enabling G-sync while running in windowed fullscreen for Path of Exile. If I use fullscreen G-sync activates fine.

The thing is if I enable G-sync for windowed and full screen mode Image it will work fine until I open a youtube video on my other screen (both are 165hz) then g-sync will deactivate. If I swap off Hardware acceleration in Google chrome I can watch the youtube video and g-sync work fine in windowed fullscreen, but then my browser is lagging and stuttering a lot. So

* G-sync + fullscreen + youtube on other display = fine
* G-sync + windowed fullscreen + youtube (hw acc on) = not fine
* G-sync + windowed fullscreen + youtube (hw acc off) = fine

I also tried changing settings with Nvidia Inspector, Under the GLOBAL_DRIVER_PROFILE

I have tried setting g-sync to fullscreen only Image

and then under Path of Exile profile I changed the g-sync to fullsceen and windowed Image

This doesnt seem to do anything for me and its still not working.

This do actually work fine for other games like World of Warcraft, so I dont know if this is a specific problem for Path of Exile?

I'm on latest windows 10 update (2004) and latest nvidia drivers and I had same issue on previous windows 10 version (1907).

It doesnt matter if I play with Vulkan or DX11 its the same issue happening.

The screens im using are Acer predator XB271HUA.

jorimt

Re: G-sync problem in windowed mode

Post by jorimt » 05 Jul 2020, 08:16

frallan123 wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 17:01
The thing is if I enable G-sync for windowed and full screen mode Image it will work fine until I open a youtube video on my other screen (both are 165hz) then g-sync will deactivate.

[...]

This do actually work fine for other games like World of Warcraft, so I dont know if this is a specific problem for Path of Exile?
Yes, it does sound game-specific.

Have you tried switching to fullscreen mode back to windowed in-game when this happens (alt + enter)? Short of that, there's probably nothing you can do for this game unless it is addressed on the dev side. Have you reported it to them?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

frallan123

Post by frallan123 » 05 Jul 2020, 12:46

jorimt wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 08:16
frallan123 wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 17:01
The thing is if I enable G-sync for windowed and full screen mode Image it will work fine until I open a youtube video on my other screen (both are 165hz) then g-sync will deactivate.

[...]

Yes, it does sound game-specific.

Have you tried switching to fullscreen mode back to windowed in-game when this happens (alt + enter)? Short of that, there's probably nothing you can do for this game unless it is addressed on the dev side. Have you reported it to them?
Yes, I've tried alt+enter doesnt work :/. I have reported it on their forums we'll see if the do anything about it.
I guess i'll have to live with hw acc off in my browser when I play path of exile.

frallan123

Post by frallan123 » 05 Jul 2020, 12:48

Also, im not sure if this is related to World Of Warcraft but its not that annoying but it can be. Whenever im in a loading screen in that game the fps drops down to lets say 8-15~ which makes my other screen (videos and mouse) lag like crazy until the loading screen is done.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Jul 2020, 13:08

frallan123 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:48
Also, im not sure if this is related to World Of Warcraft but its not that annoying but it can be. Whenever im in a loading screen in that game the fps drops down to lets say 8-15~ which makes my other screen (videos and mouse) lag like crazy until the loading screen is done.
In borderless window I assume? If so, that's expected; each monitor is affected by the other when refresh rate (and/or framerate) differs on one of the displays. Since G-SYNC borderless/windowed mode also adjusts the refresh rate of the window currently focused on, this issue can be even further exacerbated.

The only way you can really avoid this is to play the game in exclusive fullscreen and avoid multi-tasking while gaming. Windows OS multi-monitor multi-tasking (especially with windowed G-SYNC) is very poor, and is mostly down to Microsoft to address.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)