Gsync Frametime Issue

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Tetharis

Gsync Frametime Issue

Post by Tetharis » 20 Jul 2020, 14:15

Hello,

I have been noticing an issue with gsync in some of my games and wanted to see if there is a larger issue at play. Frametime spikes in some games but is mitigated by changing settings.

Currently have gsync enabled on both monitors. Vsync enabled in NVCP with a frame limit at 141, vsync disabled in games. *Edit* using RTSS to cap frames for all games.

I'm able to run CoD MW, Apex Legends, total war Warhammer 2, red dead 2 with these settings and they're mostly fine. Some input lag, no tearing, minimal stuttering.

***My issue is for some games, these settings result in big frametime spikes. I've tried Prey and Sea of Thieves (Xbox game pass app) with the above settings but get almost constant frametime stuttering even with a consistent fps (can easily run over 144fps).
I had to change my settings to disable vsync in NVCP, and cap my fps to 120 instead of 141. If I didn't do both of these steps, I would get lots of tearing and frametime spikes. Way more than my friend did on his gtx1080 build in the same areas.

I haven't had time to test other games, but I recall team fortress 2 and CSGO having the exact same stuttering issue a month or two ago when I tested gsync on it (vsync on nvcp, 141 frame limit). Without gsync I get brutal screen tearing where the games become unplayable.

2 of my friends with slightly weaker PC's basically do not have gsync configured according to the Blur Busters guide. They're just running gsync, no vsync, no frame cap and never have screen tearing or stuttering. This is what's confusing me so much. Any help in clarifying this would be appreciated. Not sure if I should RMA my video card or if this is just a case of game optimization/my PC being picky with some games.

PC specs:
- i9 9900kf 4.7ghz
- EVGA 2080ti xc ultra gaming
- 2x8gb Corsair LPX 3200mhz
- gigabyte aorus master (f9 bios)
- Samsung 860 Evo x2
- EVGA 750w psu
- LG 27gl850b
- Asus pg279q
- Logitech g403 at 1000hz
- windows 10 x64 1909

wiseude

Re: Gsync Frametime Issue

Post by wiseude » 11 Oct 2020, 17:52

More leaning on game optimization tbh.

Tetharis

Post by Tetharis » 01 Nov 2020, 10:10

Yeah it's super weird. I ended up reinstalling windows and updating it to 2004. Also installed one of the more recent Nvidia drivers but my problem remains, albeit changed.

For example my previous settings for apex legends no longer work. I used to use nvcp vsync on (off in game), cap to 140fps with rtss and it used to be very smooth.
After the updates those settings no longer work and gave me jittery frametimes which I really felt in-game. Entire screen looked like it would jitter when moving my mouse.

I found that disabling vsync everywhere kinda fixed this and brought frametimes back to almost normal. Problem is I notice some screen tearing now sometimes. I haven't had much time to test/tweak but it's just so frustrating. Meanwhile my friends with a variety of other hardware/monitors don't have the issues I do and it's more of a "plug and play" experience for them. I believe the majority didn't even configure gsync based off of the blur busters guide as they haven't had a need to fix any issues.

TTT

Post by TTT » 02 Nov 2020, 09:36

Are you actually seeing the framtime spikes on the overlay or just assuming thats what it is?

Tetharis

Post by Tetharis » 02 Nov 2020, 17:07

Yeah I keep an eye on the frametimes with msi afterburner on my 2nd monitor while I play games.

I haven't done much testing yet with my PC after reformatting/updating but the spikes are still there, just acting a bit different.

Not sure why nvcp vsync would suddenly cause problems for me when before it was what kept my game running smooth.

Will need to retest my other games but there were brutal frametime spikes in games like Prey 2017, team fortress 2/csgo, sea of thieves, and Squad. Games were just a stuttery mess and pretty much unplayable.

I tried closing out of all other applications as well but I typically only play games with the bare minimum running in the background anyways. I also did not reinstall any gigabyte software (motherboard) as I thought that may have been a culprit prior to reformatting. No improvement though.

TTT

Post by TTT » 07 Nov 2020, 12:28

You said you are noticing an issue with Gsync though, are you saying it isn't happening with Gsync off??

Have you tried just using default NCP and other settings?

Tetharis

Post by Tetharis » 16 Nov 2020, 21:43

TTT wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 12:28
You said you are noticing an issue with Gsync though, are you saying it isn't happening with Gsync off??

Have you tried just using default NCP and other settings?
Thanks for the reply! I need to do more testing after the recent reformat/driver change. Typically from what I saw prior to the reformat (with gsync off):and a little after is that I get lower frametimes (higher fps) but it tends to spike up and down more. Depending on the game this introduces either horizontal screen tearing, or just a rough choppy feeling in games. If I throw vsync on with no fps cap I tend to get much more noticeable stutters as it seems to run even worse than gsync does for me. I can't make heads or tails of this.

Going to have to try different gpu driver versions next but I have a feeling it won't make much of a difference. Really running out of ideas at this point and it's killing my precious free time making one tweak to a game at a time.

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Nov 2020, 14:10

You say you have Gsync enabled on both monitors as well, so I'm assuming you are dual monitoring.

Have you tried completely disconnecting the second monitor? Sometimes multi monitor set ups mess things up.

Also how are you tracking frametime from the other monitor? I can only ever get the frametime overlay over the game to work, the frametime graph on MSI only every shows 0 and won't work.

Tetharis

Post by Tetharis » 17 Nov 2020, 18:05

I'll give it a shot since I haven't tried that since reformatting. Ive only tried disabling/enabling adaptive sync on my secondary monitor (lg 27gl850) with no difference.

I've also seen that bug firsthand on a friend's PC with the frametime graph showing 0. Meanwhile the opposite is true for me. I can't get the overlay to work on my monitor, but the graph works fine. I just keep that on my 2nd monitor with nothing else visible on that screen.

TTT

Post by TTT » 18 Nov 2020, 08:39

Out of interest why are you even dual G-Sync monitoring anyway?

Are you gaming across both monitors?