G-Sync does not address motion blur [And How To Fix Motion Blur]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync does not address motion blur [And How To Fix Motion Blur]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Oct 2020, 05:17

Templardude wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 16:53
Strafing quickly back and forth made an "anomaly" that wasn't their with a CRT.
You can fix a lot of that with a motion blur reduction mode (ULMB) or brute refresh rate (360fps 360Hz) as you can see above.

On my ASUS PG259QN 360Hz monitor, I can read the street labels of TestUFO Panning Map Test at 1080 Pixels/Sec. This is the first time I can do it at 1080p on a retail monitor without a CRT or strobe backlight. So we're getting pretty close to blurless sample-and-hold. We only need to multiply frame rate and refresh rate by 3x to get to realworld 1ms MPRT without a strobe backlight.
Templardude wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 16:53
So was that ghosting or motion blur. I've called it both over the years.
Could be either or both. They're both overlapping venn diagrams. Persistence-based motion blur is symmetric, and LCD ghosting is the asymmetric component of this. Basically more blur at one edge than the opposite edge (unbalanced blur). Ghosting is the asymmetry in the persistence-based motion blur.

This is persistence based motion blur when you view this on LCD (nonstrobed):

The difference between UFO #1 and UFO #2 is motion blur.

The ghosting is if the left edge of squares has a ghost behind it. If you have none and the squares are perfectly squares, then you just only have persistence-based motion blur caused by limited frame rate & limited refresh rate on a sample-and-hold display. Be noted this Eye Tracking Test simultaneously reveals GtG and MPRT artifacts as follows
(A) MPRT blurring as the vertical lines disappearing into a solid grey
(B) GtG ghosting as in the perfectly square holes showing smearing effects ahead/behind it.
They can somewhat blend into each other, but this optical illusion based motion tests shows an unusually clear separation of MPRT artifacts (persistence blur) & GtG artifacts (including ghosting/coronas).

To fix motion blur, you have to strobe (see Motion Blur Reduction FAQ) or you have to use ultra high frame rates at ultra high refresh rates. Doubling Hz halves motion blur on sample-and-hold displays like LCD and OLEDs, unless you use the strobe method.

Now turn on ULMB or use CRT. The optical illusion disappears and you see sharp vertical lines in both the starionary and moving,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!